BMW NineT Forum banner

101 - 103 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
After I test rode the Urban back to back with the regular R NineT on a nice twisty road up a canyon / mountain nearby I ended up liking both. Different handling but I have to say the std. NineT wasn't set up well (soft front, hard rear). Also felt like I needed to lean more forward on the reg. NineT to make it turn well, it was just more sport bike-esque. The Urban also fit me much better at 6'2", 34" inseam.

When we sat down to talk the manager came out and told us about the stop sale on the reg. NineTs because of the shock bolt issue. Well... so much for that option.

I found the Urban GS seating position more comfortable anyway and the suspension works fine solo (I left the sales person who was following me on the reg. R NineT way behind - even riding on the TKCs and he was on sport tires).
After the dealer visit I kept thinking - what can the Urban do that My GS can't do - so I rode my WC GS up the same canyon and guess what - I was probably close in speed but it was a LOT more physically taxing.

That's when I made the decision to buy it. Negotiated a tire swap to the Metz Next because for what I'm going to use my Urban for the TKCs are not the right tire. The bike rides great, sounds great and looks great. YMMV.

EDIT: all the spoked wheel optioned bikes in the US seem to come with TKC

Also, the little fairing takes quite a bit of wind pressure off your body.

There you have the quick test results

Had a number of great solo rides last couple of weeks and took the wife for a spin last week. Suspension is overtaxed two up. Ordered a TFX shock with a remote preload adjuster as the clamp ring adjuster is a pita if you go back and forth between solo / 2up, which will be the case for me. Will probably end up doing the fork as well.

As others noted, the exhaust note is outstanding out of the box. Surprised they got away with that. Fueling is good, power is good, looks are good. All the kids (everyone under 35 - compared to this dinosaur) are giving me thumbs up.
Perfect companion to my "real" GS. Who cares what it's called and what it's perceived purpose is. Stop the hate mail in this thread already.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just saw one at the dealer yesterday and pleased with what I saw. Good looking bike, great colors. Wish there were factory hard case options for the U/GS (and regular R nine T).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Urban g/s

Wow bit of hissy fit. Aren't all bikes a mixture of looks and practicality.
I doubt many of these will see off road work, but how many r1200gs/gsa do too? How many r nine t Racers are going to raced or used on a track. How many r9t Scramblers are used off road.
It's all personal choice and if it gets more bums out of cars and on motorcycle seats, that's a good thing.
:)
I’m with you on this. Many of those who have GS bikes are posing as if they rode Dakar, when in reality they are just tooling the pavement. Which is perfectly fine. However, to slag the Urban, just because it has design elements of the original GS (R8), but is a road bike just seems ludicrous and snobbish. Live, ride, repeat...

101 - 103 of 103 Posts