BMW NineT Forum banner

Urban GS front signal location. Why god?!?!

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Vectorbug 
#1 ·
Anyone have any insight on why only the Urban GS has front signals mounted on the fork tubes? Every other model has them mounted on the oil cooler. You literally have to drop the fork to take off the front signal mount on the UGS. I think it’s the dumbest design, considering signals are one of the most common modifications.

#2 ·
It might have to do with regulations and the front fender blocking too much of a cross view if they're in-board like the other models. Just a guess, no clue really. I've wondered this as well with mine. Not a huge deal, they're nice blinkers and can be lowered a little bit.

Similar to the massive license plate holders on the rear (aka diving boards), there is a us regulation that requires motorcycles have something extending past the rear tire. Not sure why, but its a rule if you want to sell a new moto in the US.

#5 ·
I guess I’m just lucky. When I bought my 9T the dealers plate was attached to a mount very near the rear shock tucked way up under the seat. It has a factory mount up there and it’s well lit, in fact it lights up my rear tire altogether. Never been stopped so it’s never been a problem. If you stand 20’ directly behind the bike and squint you can read the plate, otherwise there’s no way you’d even know it had one .
.. just lucky so far I guess. No citation yet. Five years now. ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.