BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2018 Urban G/S this summer, have already started modifying, and am planning enough additional mods this winter that I think it will qualify as a "build".

Full disclosure, I started working as a sales rep at my local Motorrad dealer in Feb 2019, and that got me off my Ducati and onto "riding the brand".

I've always tried to have one bike that will do everything I need it to do for various reasons - cost of bike ownership, cost of insuring multiple bikes which is significant here, and lack of parking space. And to keep my wife somewhat happy, or at least tolerant of my hobby/passion.

So, what do I need in a bike? It's changed somewhat over the past couple years, as I used to do more camping/touring which required a bigger bike and my last few have fit that bill - Multistrada preceded by Aprilia Caponord preceded by Multistrada (preceded by a string of VFR's). Now I tend to trailer my bike if I'm going a long distance and then do day rides. I need a bike that is good on twisty roads. I need a fun city bike. I need a bike that I love to look at, and that I love to listen to. So far the Urban G/S has ticked all the boxes.

Enough rambling for now - here's where I am at the moment:
20191108_135233.jpg 20191108_135209.jpg 20191108_135139.jpg 20191108_135125.jpg

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
This is an edited version of Current Mods:
  • Ilmberger Carbon Headlight Surround
  • Ilmberger Carbon Front Mudguard
  • Ilmberger Carbon Injector Cover
  • Ilmberger Carbon Cylinder Head Covers
  • LedPERF LED Headlight
  • Unit Garage Headlight Protection Screen
  • Plastidipped Headlight Bezel
  • Rizoma Air Intake Extension
  • Rizoma "Road" Footpegs
  • Unit Garage Oil Cooler Protector
  • Unit Garage Headlight Guard
  • Unit Garage Black Leather Seat Cover
  • Airbox Covers from Ebay
  • Back Rack from Ebay
  • Bash Plate from Ebay
  • Ohlins BM641 High Rear Shock from Unit Garage
  • Akrapovic End Can
  • Pazoma Tail Tidy
  • Motogadget M-Pin Front and Rear Signals from BAAK with oil cooler mounts for front
  • BAAK Classic Round Mirrors
  • Ebay crash bars
  • Andreani tall fork upgrade
  • MV Motorrad Footpeg Lowering Kit
  • Hornig bar riser clamps
  • Ebay 20 mm bar riser inserts x 2
  • Aliexpress aluminum cnc brake and clutch covers, side stand enlarger,

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently read on this forum that "this time of year is the end of the riding season and the start of modification season". That's exactly where I'm at - I have lots planned and will be updating this over the winter. Here's what I currently have planned (many of these things are already purchased and waiting to go on):
  • Full Vinyl Wrap - I have already designed it and it will be radically different! Stay tuned, but to hint at the plan - it will be dark. Lots of black & grey with a hint of colour.
  • Andreani High Fork Inserts from Unit Garage
  • Unit Garage Black Leather Seat Cover
  • Front Motogadget M-Pin signals from BAAK
  • Rizoma "Road" Footpegs
  • Powder Coating Many Parts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While I'm waiting for more mods to get underway, thought I would go back and review some of my changes in greater detail. First up: Ilmberger Carbon Fiber (or is it Fibre?) Headlight Surround.

I bought this because:
  • I'm in the camp that considers anything carbon fiber "cool". Just love the pattern and finish of carbon!
  • It will go well with my new colour scheme - black & grey.
  • It is slightly larger than the original, and I was hoping for a little more wind/weather protection.
  • Notice I didn't mention "lighter". Come on, you don't buy these pieces to save weight! The original piece feels equally light.
I bought this piece directly from Ilmberger. They were excellent to deal with and it shipped fast.

How is it?
  • The fit and finish is top notch, as you would expect from Ilmberger. Sure, it's premium priced but here I would say you get what you pay for. Fits perfectly, beautiful clearcoat finish. One thing to note is that the inside is not finished like the outside, it's a little rougher, and although you can see this from the cockpit it doesn't detract from the piece overall, in my opinion.
  • Even though it doesn't go as well with the stock colour scheme, I was eager to mount it immediately to see if there's any difference in the protection department. It is a little taller and a little wider, but honestly I can't say it really makes a difference for sure. Maybe a slight little tiny bit, but this is splitting hairs.
Overall I give this piece a 9 out of 10 - deducting one point for not finishing the inside like the outside. I am still very happy with it and would do it again. It will add a little extra bling and in my opinion will look baddass once I get my seat cover & wrap on the bike.
20191109_093815.jpg

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next are the BAAK Classic Round Mirrors

I bought these because:
  • I wanted a mirror that was less "plasticky" than the OEM - preferably billet aluminum
  • Decided that a mirror that was similar in design to the original would look the best. I know bar-ends are super popular and they look "right" on the classic bike, or a cafe racer, but I'm not as much a fan on the scramblers or other offroad styled bikes like the UGS.
  • Didn't want to pay an arm and a leg if I didn't have to. For example, I love the new Motogadget frameless polished aluminum mirrors and almost went for them, but in the end the price stopped me. Those are 109 euros - these cost 35 euros.
I bought an assortment of accessories from BAAK in France including these mirrors. They were easy to deal with and quick to answer a small question I had. Shipping was fast.

How are they?
  • Fit and finish is excellent, especially considering the low cost.
  • Be aware that the horizontal section of the arms are shorter, and the diameter is slightly smaller - this means that the mirrors are more "tucked in" - it also means that you get more arm/elbow in your view. It's not quite as easy to get a good view directly behind the bike.
  • They feel solid and no vibrations.
  • They come with mounting bolts that fit - you have to use the lower OEM mounting bolt.
I would give them an 8 out of 10 - the fit, finish and price/value is 10 out of 10 but deducting two points for the decreased visibility.
20191109_094102.jpg

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have added the Motogadget M-Pin turn signals, along with the Pazoma tail tidy (there is a separate thread on this if you search Pazoma). I have a set of the same turn signals for the front, which will be mounted on the top corner of the oil cooler, but I'm waiting until I have the gas tank off the bike to add those.
I bought these because:
  • After adding the tail tidy and installing short stalks for the OEM signal lights, the signal lights looked huge! Almost the same size as the tail light. Overall it was a huge improvement over the OEM diving board with moose antler signals, but I wanted to make the tail even slimmer and more discreet. However, I still wanted a bright signal light for safety.
I bought the signal lights from BAAK, along with their resistors for LED lights, and their BMW compatible plugs.

How are they?
  • They are SUPER small! I didn't realize how small they are when I ordered them - like the size of a dime! They are definitely discreet.
  • Quality is top notch. For the price - 35 Euros each - I think these are great value.
  • They are super bright when blinking. I would rate them as safe - maybe a little less visible overall than OEM with bright led bulbs installed (I had these & they were super bright).
  • Easy to install with the resistors and plugs from BAAK - everything went together well, obviously no errors, and I left the bike harness stock because of getting the BMW compatible plugs.
I give these a 10 out of 10. Value, quality, design - can't be beat in my opinion.
20191109_093900.jpg

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am still waiting for my bike to be put into it's final winter resting place, at which time I can get it on jack stands and start removing pieces and modding. In the meantime, thought I would tackle the seat.

I purchased a black leather seat cover from Unit Garage and was excited to install it Wednesday. Got the original off and pre-fitted the cover and initially thought "uh-oh - too small". Fired off an email to Unit Garage and he has assured me it will fit, it just needs to be stretched. I guess I missed the install instructions which apparently say "heat up the cover before installing". Didn't know leather would stretch with heat applied!

Did some research (aka Google Search) and sure enough - stretching leather by heating it is actually a thing! Turns out leather has pores just like human skin, and heating will open the pores and allow it to stretch.

Michiel at Unit Garage also says that it's very important to have the cover super tight, otherwise it will stretch out after installation and cause wrinkles.

Took out my heat gun and tried the pre-fit again, but heating first - looks like this will work! The install will have to wait until Monday or Tuesday now. Here's a look at the naked seat:

20191115_125305.jpg

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also had a great meeting with a Vinyl Wrap guy - checked out his shop and he did a test print for me. He gave me a quick demo on installing and reviewed my plan for a full wrap on the tank & front fender. He thinks it will work! He's a rider too - has an S1000R. The test print came out just OK - my files may need more massaging before final printing. Stay tuned on the full wrap!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THOUGHTS ON CHANGING COLOURS/GRAPHICS ON THE URBAN G/S
As I plan this somewhat radical graphics and colour change on my bike, the thought came to me that some of my Forum friends might be questioning - "WHY"! The Urban G/S looks good as-is, and isn't the whole point of this model to resemble the original R80G/S from 1980?

Well, yes, but I think the modern RnineT Urban G/S graphics are specifically resembling the first Dakar bike, however the production motorcycle came in different colours. Am I right or am I wrong? Please - those with knowledge on the subject should jump in & comment.

Here's a Wikipedia photo to get you thinking:
BMW_R_80_GS-crop.jpg

So my plan is not this either, but this version gets closer to what I'll be going for.

What are your thoughts on changing the graphics and colours? Are you a little offended? Do you think it's a good idea? Please comment.

·
Banned
660 Posts
Go for it!
I'm planning to repaint mine shortly, the white is nice but mine has a factory installed run! that's enough for me to use an excuse to change it......

Reactions: gristle

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today was install the leather seat cover day. Had a brand new (cheap) air staple gun and my heat gun for heating/stretching. The stapler only lasted 3/4 of the way through and then failed. Amazon is sending me another!

Anyway, an initial review on the Urban Garage Leather Seat Cover:
I like that the leather feels nice and like the overall design. Execution however is a 6 out of 10. I still think it could be a little bigger to facilitate install - yes it will stretch, aided by the heat, but still barely. More importantly, the cutting/sewing on the seat cover is only so-so because it's definitely not symmetrical. Over all it looks good, but if you look closely the stitch lines have a slight crookedness - this is not from installing crooked it's from the pieces not being cut and sewn symmetrically.

I may ride on it for a while and then attempt a re-install, thinking that the leather may stretch out a little more over time.

Overall I'll give the seat cover a 6 out of 10.
seat1.jpg seat2.jpg

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can I ask where you got the headlight guard?
Yes - the guard is from Unit Garage. A little bit more about it: I love the look of this guard and got it primarily for the looks although I thought it might be functional as well, if a rock happened to land on my headlight which apparently can happen. Anyway, I would have to question the effectiveness of this because the wire mesh is a little on the light side so therefore flexible, and it sits directly against the headlamp glass (at least the aftermarket headlamp I'm using) so if a rock came flying directly at the headlamp with a good amount of momentum I would think it might still crack the glass.

But, as I said it looks very good in my opinion, and for me that's job done!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was hesitating to buy the airbox cover from ebay, but it seems very nice on your bike
Yes thanks - I'm very happy with them, quality is good and they vastly improve the look of that area because the white battery is pretty ugly. Not sure why BMW wouldn't use a black battery case when it's going to be so visible.

Right now I have them fastened with zip ties - I will probably try installing the supplied fasteners this winter but they are shiny spring steel, so they need a coat of black paint first.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE ON FULL WRAP: It's at the printers! I should have all the printed pieces in my possession next week and should start on it after that. As soon as I have it I will post a pic of the flat pieces.

I was inspired to take this on in no small part because of the excellent thread here detailing others experiences applying vinyl. I will be attempting to wrap the entire tank using 5 pieces, the complete front fender with one piece, and the carbon fiber headlight surround will get one racing stripe.

I also ordered some solid black for the snorkel and the upper forks, so I already have that & I think I'll start with the snorkel to get a feel for applying the material as I think it will be fairly straight-forward.

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A little more progress today...got the forks out and they are ready to go to the machine shop in preparation for the high Andreani inserts
Front Wheel Fork Removal.jpg

This is a pic of the top of the fork tube that requires machining. Andreani recommends using a lathe to remove the very top little flange that you see...this holds the bushing in which can also be seen below it. This allows the forks to have more travel.
Fork Tube.jpg

Also completed the installation of the Unit Garage leather seat cover. Was a PITA to install, but I managed to massage it so that the stitching is pretty well perpendicular to the centre line of the bike. I think I'll be happy with this.
Seat.jpg

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Go for it!
I'm planning to repaint mine shortly, the white is nice but mine has a factory installed run! that's enough for me to use an excuse to change it......
Hey Cropduster, curious what you mean by a factory installed run?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts