BMW NineT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Scary and satisfying to get out the hack saw. No turning back! I wanted "naked" bar clamps - Rizoma has them but they are $126 in my Canadian dollars, so I've opted to modify the stock ones. Little bit of grinding, sanding and polishing and I'm there for $0.00
20200113_141107.jpg

Also finished my "practice" wrap - I've got enough material for one more practice run and then it'll be for real
20200113_144314.jpg

Got lots of parts being powder coated right now!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The handlebar clamps turned out nice - this is part way through the final sanding/finishing. I think this will give a cleaner, more minimal appearance to the cockpit - can't wait to see them mounted with my black powder coated bars!
20200120_104041.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
1,425 Posts
The handlebar clamps turned out nice - this is part way through the final sanding/finishing. I think this will give a cleaner, more minimal appearance to the cockpit - can't wait to see them mounted with my black powder coated bars!
Beautiful job, perfectly smooth. Will you end up painting or clear coating them in any way?

·
Registered
218 Posts
You could even powder coat them in Red to match the strips and stand out even more!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Beautiful job, perfectly smooth. Will you end up painting or clear coating them in any way?
Thank you - I may leave them raw for this season & see how they weather - I'm not sure if or how quickly the aluminum will oxidize but if it does, I imagine it would just mean I have to re-sand and then clear coat them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
You could even powder coat them in Red to match the strips and stand out even more!
Thanks Rems - I plan to leave them the aluminum colour because the rest of the clamp and the top yoke triple clamp, and the speedo bezel, will all remain original silver/metal in colour.

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
162 Posts
View attachment 128732
Suggest brushing them and clear coating, a la tank side. Love that finish.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The final wrap has started! First piece went on pretty well - I'm currently riding a wave of optimism! Started with the easy piece though, and I know the front of the tank will be harder. Can I complete the tank over the next few days? I hope so - stay tuned.
20200207_142022.jpg

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Right side done - except the stripe which will go on last. Very difficult to wrap the front which resembles an American football, or Rugby ball for my UK & Aussie friends.
20200207_160737.jpg

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Whew - done! That was a big job but I'm happy with the results. Looking forward to seeing it on the bike! Have to drop the battery back in, took advantage of having the tank off to remove the battery and plasti-dipping it black. Not sure what was more work - wrapping the tank or removing the battery ? Come on BMW - that's the best design you could come up with for re & reing a battery?!
20200208_155441.jpg 20200208_155357.jpg

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
OK - that's a good reason to take a ride to Portland haha! It's 3M, I had it printed that pattern, from a photo of cement that I colorized in Photoshop, and the top black is just stock 3M black satin finish. I was surprised it turned out as well as it did! It's not perfect but the pattern helps to camo the odd imperfection. Doing it in pieces definitely made it easier, the stripe hides the seam and doing the top strip in black also allowed me to have more pieces.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I'm going to say 6 or 7 hours in total. I'm confident I could do it in 5, if I did it again tomorrow. But if I wait until next year, it'll be back up to 6 or 7 again. Not that I plan on doing it again, but it's one of the benefits of wrapping as opposed to painting - I can rip it off and do something else if I want to. But I'm a little sick of vinyl wrapping at the moment. It's slow at the shop right now so had time on my hands - set up a little work bench beside my desk (boss is away - don't tell him).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Getting down to the final little details - I added a Schwab Fast Gas - it tightens up the throw of the throttle to make it easier on the wrist to go full gas - looking forward to trying that out, among all the other mods (like Andreani inserts).

Also added the Rizoma footpegs - they look very "jewel-like" on the bike. They really do make high quality looking kit.
20200227_131723.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looking good! Do you have a link to the "fast gas", google doesn't come up with anything, sounds interesting!

41 - 60 of 98 Posts