BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Valve adjustments

Hello everyone,

Last wee I bought a 2021 BMW R ninet wit 6k miles.
I read the manual and it seems that I will need a valve check at 8k. I called two dealers and they said that it will cost about 2k to do a valve check. How much do you guys pay to do a valve clearance check and adjustment?

I think I can check the valve clearance and see if thy are ok.

Thank you!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thank you sir, I saw that video few weeks ago and it seems easy!
What kaliper do you guys recommend?

Should I buy a shim kit?

I just did the valve clearance check myself and all it cost was an hour of my time.

I used Marks Motorcycle Parts video as a guide.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
3,013 Posts
Thank you sir, I saw that video few weeks ago and it seems easy!
What kaliper do you guys recommend?

Should I buy a shim kit?

I own these two sets, and I needed both for the correct sizes.

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,120 Posts
You can try yourself, but keep in mind that only the full service with a stamp saves your guarantee.
Actually, that’s different in other jurisdictions, Tom. Not sure about the entire US, but in TX for example, if you can prove that you did the necessary maintenance yourself (by showing you bought oil change tools in the correct timeframe, same with valve check gear), BMW has to still honor the warranty.
I know, it’s a bit strange. Andere Länder, andere Sitten…

You’re right about your comment that a certain tech talent should be present, though.😉 It would certainly be easier to argue with the dealer/manufacturer if all that maintenance was delegated to them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you have some mechanical skill to follow the procedure its an easy check,
the clearances are often within specification at low miles,
adjustment requires a little more skill and measuring tools other than feeler blades,
As has been mentioned Marks video covers it clearly,
as you feel its within your skill to do it it will be rewarding to know,
just be careful with the cover bolts they can break if over tightened,
let us know how it goes,,
Forest

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
3,013 Posts
Agree with @Forest - the valve check is easy, and it is the valve adjustments are where it gets a little more complicated.

You could always do the check yourself, and then if you're not feeling good about the adjustment portion, then you could take it in. But like stated above, low mileage bikes hardly ever need a valve adjustment.

How many miles on your bike?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks Dauphinais, my bike has 6330 miles. I was thinking the same, if I don't feel good , I would put it back together and take it to the shop.

Agree with @Forest - the valve check is easy, and it is the valve adjustments are where it gets a little more complicated.

You could always do the check yourself, and then if you're not feeling good about the adjustment portion, then you could take it in. But like stated above, low mileage bikes hardly ever need a valve adjustment.

How many miles on your bike?

·
Registered
43 Posts
As mentioned the check is easy, start with the minimum clearance blades,
you can pack them with another thin blade to judge how close to tight they are,
there is no commitment beyond having a look, and the bike will still run,
Bear in mind they rarely need adjustment at low miles,
and the dealer wont re shim them unless they are on or outside the min/max the tolerance,
adjustment requires more accurate measuring to get a close to max clearance result,
The video at post 8 is adjustment at 61,000 km,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts