BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have an on going vibration issue, although the roads are not fantastic here in QLD they are relatively good, however any speed over 150kph renders the horizon very unsteady, I changed out my tyres to the new Corsa Rosso, however I am still experiencing this vibration issue , I run the tyres at 35psi on the rear and 30psi up front, i have carbon wheels fitted and had the same issue with the steel rims, question; is this normal? Is anyone else having these issues? CDU

·
Administrator
12,545 Posts
Are you sure the vibration is coming from the wheels? What happens if you pull in the clutch and let the bike "coast" at those speeds?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi I have an on going vibration issue, although the roads are not fantastic here in QLD they are relatively good, however any speed over 150kph renders the horizon very unsteady, I changed out my tyres to the new Corsa Rosso, however I am still experiencing this vibration issue , I run the tyres at 35psi on the rear and 30psi up front, i have carbon wheels fitted and had the same issue with the steel rims, question; is this normal? Is anyone else having these issues? CDU
Hi I recently noticed high vibrations in high RPM and fast speed (not correlated to tires) I made a lot of changes on the bike so I cannot pinpoint exactly why, I feel a very unpleasant handle vibrations anytime i drive aggressively or fast.

How did you fix yours??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Really bad handlebar vibrations at high RPM

I recently noticed a really bad handlebar vibrations at high RPM any time I ride aggressively or fast.
I made a lot of custom changes to the bike recently but dont think it has anything to do with it.
Since the vibrations began I don't even enjoy riding the bike anymore, very sad about it.
I brought it twice to the BMW garage in my city but they "checked it" according to them and did not find anything wrong, but I can clearly see a difference with before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, it is a shame really, I used to ride with it all day long and now I take it once in a while and feel horrible riding it.

I am planning on sending it next week to another specialized BMW garage and hope they finally find out what is the issue.

Please let me know if. there is something I could tell them to check specifically

·
Registered
2017 RNINET
736 Posts
Did you change anything in or on handlebar? I do see bar end mirrors, Sometimes bar end weight helps absorb vibrations. So many things can cause vibration I would recheck all torques. Were any engine mounts involved with your mods.?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Make sure your bike is in good tune and the throttle bodies are properly synced. You may also ensure your gasoline is fresh. These bikes are running so lean that anything slightly out of whack can cause a high RPM stumble. I removed the Booster plug and changed spark plugs on my '14 Standard (classic) with 3,500 miles on it and it smoothed right out at all RPMs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you change anything in or on handlebar? I do see bar end mirrors, Sometimes bar end weight helps absorb vibrations. So many things can cause vibration I would recheck all torques. Were any engine mounts involved with your mods.?
Yes I installed bar end mirrors, I thought at first this was the problem but I took them out and still has the vibrations, no I did not modify the engine whatsoever

·
Registered
7 Posts
Make sure your bike is in good tune and the throttle bodies are properly synced. You may also ensure your gasoline is fresh. These bikes are running so lean that anything slightly out of whack can cause a high RPM stumble. I removed the Booster plug and changed spark plugs on my '14 Standard (classic) with 3,500 miles on it and it smoothed right out at all RPMs.
I am new here and don't know much about motorcycles (except riding them), meaning with the technical terms, I keep seeing that it may be a problem with throttle bodies not properly synced, is it something that BMW may have overlooked when checking for the vibs?
Also what role plays the booster plug and why did you change it and what effects does it have?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Really bad handlebar vibrations at high RPM

I recently noticed a really bad handlebar vibrations at high RPM any time I ride aggressively or fast.
I made a lot of custom changes to the bike recently but dont think it has anything to do with it.
Since the vibrations began I don't even enjoy riding the bike anymore, very sad about it.
I brought it twice to the BMW garage in my city but they "checked it" according to them and did not find anything wrong, but I can clearly see a difference with before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, it is a shame really, I used to ride with it all day long and now I take it once in a while and feel horrible riding it.

I am planning on sending it next week to another specialized BMW garage and hope they finally find out what is the issue.

Please let me know if. there is something I could tell them to check specifically
View attachment 145271

By the way I do not know if it is related but I feel the bike/engine is less powerful since I have these high RPM vibs, its like each manual speed is weaker. For example I used to push the third speed easily to 120-130 but now pass 110 it feels like its out of power

·
Registered
86 Posts
By the way I do not know if it is related but I feel the bike/engine is less powerful since I have these high RPM vibs, its like each manual speed is weaker. For example I used to push the third speed easily to 120-130 but now pass 110 it feels like its out of power
From your pic it looks like you have a different air intake arrangement. Have you tried changing it back to original to see if that changes your issue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
From your pic it looks like you have a different air intake arrangement. Have you tried changing it back to original to see if that changes your issue?
I never thought about that, can that be the cause of the vibrations?? it is just a plastic piece that you screw, meaning this one or the original are plastic pieces, can that play a role in the vibration? Weirdly it may be possible since the start of the vibrations coincide more or less with the time that I installed the new air intake, I just never thought of that being the cause of the problem

I use this KRT air intake

·
Registered
86 Posts
According to the link the intake is aluminium? The material may have an influence with the vibration and possibly the tuned length is now different, causing different engine characteristics?

·
Registered
319 Posts
You wait heat/warm oil/engine? Ride fast with cold engine is not good? Also How many kilometers you have? Until 20.000km engine is running in. Take care if you want mantein engine in good conditions.

Bar end mirrors is worse than standar one. Boxer vibrate a bit. This engine is not 4 cylinder. This is a big Bi-cylinder. This engine likes run low revs. If Mirror are locate at the end of the handlebar you will see image very bad.

Best thing is mantein standar mirrors and put heavier bar end to reduce vibrations. Originals are light plastic. They are not useful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You wait heat/warm oil/engine? Ride fast with cold engine is not good? Also How many kilometers you have? Until 20.000km engine is running in. Take care if you want mantein engine in good conditions.

Bar end mirrors is worse than standar one. Boxer vibrate a bit. This engine is not 4 cylinder. This is a big Bi-cylinder. This engine likes run low revs. If Mirror are locate at the end of the handlebar you will see image very bad.

Best thing is mantein standar mirrors and put heavier bar end to reduce vibrations. Originals are light plastic. They are not useful.

Issue has been fixed!!! The bar end mirrors that I installed were the problem, I bought them very expensive and seemed very high quality from the brand rizoma the adapter that goes inside the handle made it vibrate at high RPM, I installed again the ancient cheapest aliexpress bar end mirrors that I had before and the issue is gone.
The problem was the adaptor i think that was sold with these expensive rizoma bar end mirrors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts