BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads-up to those of you either contemplating buying oil cooler guards, or who have them already.

Was chatting to my local BMW dealer today and they said that BMW have issued a Technical alert to dealers advising that if any bikes have engine problems that can be attributed to overheating, BMW warranty will not be honoured if an oil cooler guard is fitted.

Was told about a customer that brought in an overheating S1000R to their dealership and the mechanic proved that the radiator guard fitted (made by a very well known manufacturer) was causing the overheating problem.

OK the R9T doesn't put out the same power as a S1000 and relies a fair amount on air cooling of the cylinders, but the radiator may still be designed to operate within tight tolerances regarding airflow and a radiator guard might just tip the cooling problem into the red zone - especially if you are in a warm country.

So weigh up the risks involved with putting a stone through the radiator against possible overheating and warranty issues and come to your own decision.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just a heads-up to those of you either contemplating buying oil cooler guards, or who have them already.

Was chatting to my local BMW dealer today and they said that BMW have issued a Technical alert to dealers advising that if any bikes have engine problems that can be attributed to overheating, BMW warranty will not be honoured if an oil cooler guard is fitted.

Was told about a customer that brought in an overheating S1000R to their dealership and the mechanic proved that the radiator guard fitted (made by a very well known manufacturer) was causing the overheating problem.

OK the R9T doesn't put out the same power as a S1000 and relies a fair amount on air cooling of the cylinders, but the radiator may still be designed to operate within tight tolerances regarding airflow and a radiator guard might just tip the cooling problem into the red zone - especially if you are in a warm country.

So weigh up the risks involved with putting a stone through the radiator against possible overheating and warranty issues and come to your own decision.
BD, are you at liberty to identify the "very well known manufacturer?" Thanks, Cas.

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BD, are you at liberty to identify the "very well known manufacturer?" Thanks, Cas.
Sadly I'm not, Cas. I wasn't told anything more, but I have built up a good relationship with the dealer and have no reason to doubt the accuracy of the information. I had mentioned that I was thinking about getting a cooler guard so they told me about the alert from BMW.

I'm simply passing on what I was told about the technical alert and making no judgement on how seriously folk that have fitted a oil cooler guard should take this information as it applies to a 9T. It's up to the individual what they want to do.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So basically if you're engine is overheating either take the guard off or take it off when you take it to a dealer.

Thanks for the info Dave

·
Registered
883 Posts
But how come no one asked where the heck is that mechanics report that he can prove that a
simple simple clear mesh of a grill can cause overheating? I would think it radiates more.

This should be challenged and if they do have proof they should show and explain. It only makes BMW look much better at all areas including customer service.
I beleive my dealer too but still

what next oil pan guard will make pan leak?

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But how come no one asked where the heck is that mechanics report that he can prove that a
simple simple clear mesh of a grill can cause overheating? I would think it radiates more.

This should be challenged and if they do have proof they should show and explain. It only makes BMW look much better at all areas including customer service.

As I understand things, the S1000R guard was removed and the temps returned to normal, re-fitted and the temps went up. Seems pretty cut and dry to me. BMW would have to have some solid technical backup to send out an official advisory with a possible major impact on warranty claims.

Also have you seen some of the guards that are on sale? Some aren't simply a very thin wire mesh. I've seen ones that are fabricated from sheets of stainless, though admittedly not from a well-recognised manufacturer.

Anyway I'm just passing the information on. You can all make your own minds up..... ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts

Having produced numerous calculations on airflow through various mesh skins in the course of my job, I can confirm that even a simple wire mesh can reduce/disrupt air flow. I have seen fairly simple mesh panels which can reduce airflow by as much as 50% so yes it could be a concern.
From memory my R&G rad guard fitted to my blade cuts air flow by around 25% but I knew this before I fitted it and just monitored the temp the first few runs (including Track) until I was sure it wouldn't affect it longterm.

·
Registered
171 Posts
This is good information - thanks for posting BaldyDave.

I've always had issues with my ST4S in that it wants to heat up very quickly whilst riding slowly. Especially of course in stop and go traffic. I'm having the radiators reconditioned (straightening bent fins, etc). I've been considering fitting rad guards to help protect them.

I certainly didn't think the guards would make much difference...

This info is going to save me money and grief!

RobertVP

·
Registered
128 Posts
I asked the head of BMW motorcycle design about this very issue last month. His response was that on the r9t the oil cooler was designed for 120deg in the desert. In most northern latitudes it is not needed at all. Sitting and idling are a bigger concern than covering that cooler.

Unless you are freq riding stop and go at temps above 100 I wouldn't worry at all about oil cooler covers.

JT

·
Registered
883 Posts
As I understand things, the S1000R guard was removed and the temps returned to normal, re-fitted and the temps went up. Seems pretty cut and dry to me. BMW would have to have some solid technical backup to send out an official advisory with a possible major impact on warranty claims.

Also have you seen some of the guards that are on sale? Some aren't simply a very thin wire mesh. I've seen ones that are fabricated from sheets of stainless, though admittedly not from a well-recognised manufacturer.

Anyway I'm just passing the information on. You can all make your own minds up..... ;)
By the way Dave, I forgot to say
Thank You for the information

Now I always thought Air cooled engines

cooled the engine thru radiating heat thru fins and it gets lubricated with oil.
And if you wish you can add an oil coolant and cool down the oil for better performance etc.

So Yes I was right on Airheads, but I guess Air/Oilheads do the same exact thing except that the oil actually is a coolant due to the way they have it travel around engine etc. so if thats the case then yes and I am glad I realized this. time for me to give oil changes faster than standard cause if it oil is used as a coolant then forget it it needs good oil.

see below from another forum

An air cooled engine uses oil for lubrication. An A/O cooled engine uses oil for lubrication and cooling. Airheads and other non-BMW air coolers use fins to radiate heat to the atmosphere. The thermostat doesn't change the method of cooling. Oil heads and other air/oil cooled engines route oil through the head, mostly around the exhaust ports, specifically to absorb heat. This heat is then transferred to the radiator. The use of oil as a heat transfer medium and lubricant makes the difference. Suzuki did the same thing with GSX-R engines before going to liquid cooling. That's why BMW filled the exhaust valves with sodium on the 1200s, to pull more heat out of the combustion chamber. My R100RT and 1979 Suzuki GS750 are both relatively low compression, so they function just fine. But for power, longevity, and emissions compliance, compression has to go up. More compression, more heat.

If you want to get technical, it's the humidity in air that conducts heat. So all engines are both air and liquid cooled.

·
Registered
883 Posts
wow I really thought oil was for lubricating and the radiator for cooling the oil

below is some more info from another forum

Basically the 1000 cc opposed twin engine was as large as could be successfully made with only air-cooling. So when they wanted to go to a larger displacement engine they had to make a oil loop to take heat out of the heads. Hence "oil heads." Basically as the size of the cylinder head increases the ability to dissipate heat goes down. An engineer could give us the formula.

·
Registered
444 Posts
wow I really thought oil was for lubricating and the radiator for cooling the oil

below is some more info from another forum

Basically the 1000 cc opposed twin engine was as large as could be successfully made with only air-cooling. So when they wanted to go to a larger displacement engine they had to make a oil loop to take heat out of the heads. Hence "oil heads." Basically as the size of the cylinder head increases the ability to dissipate heat goes down. An engineer could give us the formula.
my dealer echoed the idea that a mesh screen over that oil cooler is not likely to cause problems.

having considered it though, in hindsight, i think it really doesn't make sense to cover this part of the bike so i'll be taking mine off...if anyone is interested in one, lemme know...

·
Registered
73 Posts
like others have said, thank you Dave and JayTee for the information. i'm in the it's ok camp to use one on the r nine T specifically. while i wouldn't care so much if a rock damaged the oil cooler when close to home, i surely wouldn't want that to happen when out on a ride very far from home or help. that very thing happened to a riding buddy of mine, it cost him having to wait four hours in the hot sun and a weekend holed up in some stranger's back house. no fun.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi guys

I live in a warm country, and since I install the booster plug, the engine are more stable

I mean the temperature decrease, and i really feel the difference

So the problem is not the cooler guard, but the poor mix between fuel and air

the booster plug remedy to this problem

·
Registered
82 Posts
Seems to me that if BMW wants to lessen warranty problems and out of warranty situations in the future, notification in writing should be sent to every Nine T owner, stating the potential problem the use of a guard may cause, and its effect on possible warranty claims. If they don't do this, they are doing a disservice to their customers. How can an owner be held responsible for damage, if he/she was never aware of the potential for damage, using a screen/guard, in the first place? Not very ethical or judicious, in my opinion.

Wonder if there is a potential for a similar problem for the LC R1200R and RS's, liquid radiators? tomp dd50

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Seems to me that if BMW wants to lessen warranty problems and out of warranty situations in the future, notification in writing should be sent to every Nine T owner, stating the potential problem the use of a guard may cause, and its effect on possible warranty claims. If they don't do this, they are doing a disservice to their customers. How can an owner be held responsible for damage, if he/she was never aware of the potential for damage, using a screen/guard, in the first place? Not very ethical or judicious, in my opinion.

Wonder if there is a potential for a similar problem for the LC R1200R and RS's, liquid radiators? tomp dd50
I am sure that there is a section in the warranty statement about using non-BMW approved parts & accessories. I don't think BMW are obliged to be specific about which parts. If you are concerned about warranty then keep everything stock.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts