BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
On page 55 in my "Rider's Manual (US Model)", under "Modifications", it says:

"Do not make any modifications."
Unless they are genuine BMW parts and accessories. I sold them with bikes, and they were acceptable with BMW financing, so I guess they aren't considered modifications, simply add-on's. tp

·
Registered
92 Posts
I like the protector on mine as i can quite often end up on gravel or rough roads where there is a likelihood of stones being thrown up which could potentially damage the cooler (a problem i have had in the past).

I may take another look at it and see if a small 5-10mm spacer (ie, small diameter tubing around mounting screws) could be installed to move the mesh further out from the cooler. it also would create potential airflow around the edges of the guard which might help. Best of both worlds perhaps? Move the mesh away from cooler (just a bit) and see what happens. Having said that, i do ride in 30 deg heat (hard riding) without any significant rise in temps, im more concerned in being in traffic on really hot days and stuck at lights all the time.

cheers

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,388 Posts
I may take another look at it and see if a small 5-10mm spacer (ie, small diameter tubing around mounting screws) could be installed to move the mesh further out from the cooler. it also would create potential airflow around the edges of the guard which might help.
Rubber grommets might help you with that? ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
temperatures..

I live in the Southern Californian desert region, where summer temps can hit 110-120 F no problem... anybody got any experience of Nine T operating in HOT places ?? Am considering the bike..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my ninet with a bunch of aftermarket stuff already installed from the dealer. Oil colder gaurd from wunderlich included. No problems whatsoever. I live in Miami and it gets pretty darn hot here.

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
I bought my ninet with a bunch of aftermarket stuff already installed from the dealer. Oil colder gaurd from wunderlich included. No problems whatsoever. I live in Miami and it gets pretty darn hot here.
I doubt there would be, this engine has been abused in all kinds of climates - but FWIW, there's no temp reading on the dash, so it'd be kinda hard to tell if there was an issue.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hi Since I too want one of these covers and was afraid since I read this thread, Well you seem to have one that may work in south Florida :)

please which one or where did you get your plate?

thanks
Bill

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had radiator guards in my S1000R and was told they would cause overheating and that my warranty would be void if I had any issues relating to overheating... As the S1000 has a water temp gauge I ran it along the same road at the same speed with and without the guards and there was no noticeable difference so the remained fitted,

If you take a look and most race bikes in the MotoGP circuit will will also see rad guards.

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Don't see why the 9T needs a oil cooler guard as is high enough to be protected from front wheel stone spray and isn't as exposed as a the GS mounted one.

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I had radiator guards in my S1000R and was told they would cause overheating and that my warranty would be void if I had any issues relating to overheating... As the S1000 has a water temp gauge I ran it along the same road at the same speed with and without the guards and there was no noticeable difference so the remained fitted,

If you take a look and most race bikes in the MotoGP circuit will will also see rad guards.
My local dealer proved that an overheating problem on a S1000RR was down to a radiator guard made by a very well known manufacturer. Guard removed - temps back to normal. The R9T is far less likely to overheat, but my dealer said that an installed rad guard on the 9T is not recommended by BMW and would be looked at in the event of an issue caused by overheating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wire Mesh Wire Diameter

Having produced numerous calculations on airflow through various mesh skins in the course of my job, I can confirm that even a simple wire mesh can reduce/disrupt air flow. I have seen fairly simple mesh panels which can reduce airflow by as much as 50% so yes it could be a concern.
From memory my R&G rad guard fitted to my blade cuts air flow by around 25% but I knew this before I fitted it and just monitored the temp the first few runs (including Track) until I was sure it wouldn't affect it longterm.

I would have to agree with this study - seeing as how anything blocking air flow will in fact have SOME effect on the amount of air getting through, but I have to call into question whether or not the blockage from a wire mesh screen would be significant.

I looked further into wire mesh material - and I believe the main factor we would have to take into account as far as blockage goes would be the wire diameter of the woven wire mesh ( reference Custom Wire Cloth - Belleville Wire Cloth Co - Cedar Grove, NJ )

The larger the wire diameter used to make the screen - the more the air flow will be blocked. Small wire diameter, small flow blockage.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would have to agree with this study - seeing as how anything blocking air flow will in fact have SOME effect on the amount of air getting through, but I have to call into question whether or not the blockage from a wire mesh screen would be significant.

I looked further into wire mesh material - and I believe the main factor we would have to take into account as far as blockage goes would be the wire diameter of the woven wire mesh ( reference Custom Wire Cloth - Belleville Wire Cloth Co - Cedar Grove, NJ )

The larger the wire diameter used to make the screen - the more the air flow will be blocked. Small wire diameter, small flow blockage.

Your quite correct in that the cross section of a mesh will directly affect the air flow although an additional side is that the air is disrupted due to the shape of the mesh and in some cases this can have a greater impact than simply the size of the holes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
A lot of TALK on this issue, with no facts on paper from any BMW Service department, on overheating or denying any warranty. I have had the Cox radiator guards on my 2015 S1000R and tested the temperature before and after with no rise, with temps here in the hot New Mexico deserts. The BMW service department had no issues with guards on the S1000R. Right now, my Racer is in for warranty work for speedometer issues. I have the R&G guard on and the service department has no problem with the guard on. Again, there was no difference with the temps on the Racer before, or after, the guard was installed. $50.00 for a guard or $385.00 for a damaged oil cooler in the future. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
A lot of TALK on this issue, with no facts on paper from any BMW Service department, on overheating or denying any warranty. I have had the Cox radiator guards on my 2015 S1000R and tested the temperature before and after with no rise, with temps here in the hot New Mexico deserts. The BMW service department had no issues with guards on the S1000R. Right now, my Racer is in for warranty work for speedometer issues. I have the R&G guard on and the service department has no problem with the guard on. Again, there was no difference with the temps on the Racer before, or after, the guard was installed. $50.00 for a guard or $385.00 for a damaged oil cooler in the future. :)
Same here with my S1000R, my local BMW dealer sells guards for the S series bikes with no mention that fitting them will void the warranty. I've sat at traffic lights in hot weather with a friend who also rides a S1000R with no guards and our Temperature gauges read the same. Plus surely if a S1000R with a rad guard fitted started to get hot the fan would come on and stay on until the temperature dropped.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Same here with my S1000R, ... Plus surely if a S1000R with a rad guard fitted started to get hot the fan would come on and stay on until the temperature dropped.
Another S1kr here with a Cox guard - 3+ years, no problems. It's absolutely criminal that this bike was sold without a guard from the factory since the radiator is so large and vulnerable. As we've discussed on the S1kr forum, if it were true, it would be very easy for BMW to prove a guard decreased airflow enough to raise temps and cause the fan to run more.

I don't have a guard on the Racer, however. I think the cooler is high enough and protected by the fender that I haven't been really worried about it getting damaged.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Possibly, I say possibly, the closer the mesh is to the cooler, the greater its blocking properties. If moved forward a bit, the air flow may open up behind the mesh and cover a greater amount of the cooler. Wanna see an exposed oil cooler? Check out the one on my HD XR1200. It just sticks out in the wind, all by its lonesome. There are screens made for it too, but haven't heard of anyone on our dedicated forum have a hit to the cooler, that did any damage. tp dd50

·
Registered
85 Posts
Interesting thread this...one of the accessories i was considering purchasing for my Urban G/S was exactly an oil cooler cover, and i was also wondering to myself if that would somehow affect cooling ability. Logically thinking i would've said yes, although i don't know to what degree. I've had some previous bikes that have gotten pretty beaten up over time...and also, in the summer here it's extremely hot, so i'm now having a second thought! I'll guess i'll also see what my dealer says......

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did a google search on oil cooler screens, and the #1 result was this thread, but beyond that, 59,700 further results. That and many screen products are available for various LC and OC BMW motorcycles. If the screens actually caused harm, I doubt companies like Wunderlich would produce them, and distributors like Revzilla would sell them. Too much chance for liability claims.

Contact Wunderlich and ask the about their's and any potential harm, and see what they say....Can't hurt, and may bring clarity to the discussion. tp d50

21 - 40 of 77 Posts