BMW NineT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
FWIW I ended up fitting an oil cooler guard as some of you might have seen in my modifications thread. Certainly in Scotland temps NEVER make it really high even in mid summer - normally might just get to the mid 80F bracket on a really hot day. In my case at least I've not had any issues whatsoever. I provided the original information in good faith and I reiterate that it is up to the reader to make up their own minds as to if an oil cooler guard should be fitted or not.

·
Registered
203 Posts
.... Technical alert to dealers advising that if any bikes have engine problems that can be attributed to overheating, BMW warranty will not be honoured if an oil cooler guard is fitted.
My bike was sold to me by the BM dealer with one fitted! So they'll have a hard time passing the buck! The mesh wire of the guard in no way can restrict airflow.... Two critical things for me then needef on these bikes: I need a "type of" fuel indicator (I hate to just rely on a light coming on when you hit reserve) and a engine / oil temp meter (specially for us riding long distances in the African 40C + summers!

·
Registered
111 Posts
My bike was sold to me by the BM dealer with one fitted! So they'll have a hard time passing the buck! The mesh wire of the guard in no way can restrict airflow.... Two critical things for me then needef on these bikes: I need a "type of" fuel indicator (I hate to just rely on a light coming on when you hit reserve) and a engine / oil temp meter (specially for us riding long distances in the African 40C + summers!
What RnineT's have a temp gauge? My UGS has one, but what others?

·
Registered
85 Posts
i guess i'll throw in my two cents as well....i just came from the dealership yesterday and asked a couple of the guys there what their thoughts were. They both essentially said the same thing...don't bother doing it. Unless you're actually racing offroad, which i am not, fire roads and forest service roads at most. One guy said he has seen where a small rock or pebble has gotten stuck between the guard and cooler and actually worn a hole, and/or crap gets built up on the cooler because most people don't do a good job of checking and keeping it clean behind the guard. And the climate where i live can be very hot in the summer months. I think i'll forget about it, at least for now and put the money elsewhere on the bike.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Possibly, I say possibly, the closer the mesh is to the cooler, the greater its blocking properties. If moved forward a bit, the air flow may open up behind the mesh and cover a greater amount of the cooler. Wanna see an exposed oil cooler? Check out the one on my HD XR1200. It just sticks out in the wind, all by its lonesome. There are screens made for it too, but haven't heard of anyone on our dedicated forum have a hit to the cooler, that did any damage. tp dd50

Hey Dirt
I always thought the cover on my XR was factory. (third owner) I guess not.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
What RnineT's have a temp gauge? My UGS has one, but what others?
My '17 Scrambler has an oil temp gauge too. I regularly hit very hott days in the desert southwest (USA) and the highest I've seen my oil temp was 281°. It's a USA bike so I figure that's fahrenheit, a reading like that in celsius would be pretty scary? I asked the dealer if I should immediately change the oil and he said NO. That was nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So weigh up the risks involved with putting a stone through the radiator against possible overheating and warranty issues and come to your own decision.

Ok, so here is a question. The guard can cause overheating, thus the denial of warranty, that's understood but, if I choose to not run a guard to keep it cool and keep my warranty what happens when the proverbial stone does go through the cooler? It hits and I have no idea, my oil dumps all over the road causing a seized engine, who is responsible for that? BMW, my insurance, me? How can BMW say that if you take steps to protect the bike they won't cover you if something happens and if you don't take steps they also won't cover you.. How's that work?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ok, so here is a question. The guard can cause overheating, thus the denial of warranty, that's understood but, if I choose to not run a guard to keep it cool and keep my warranty what happens when the proverbial stone does go through the cooler? It hits and I have no idea, my oil dumps all over the road causing a seized engine, who is responsible for that? BMW, my insurance, me? How can BMW say that if you take steps to protect the bike they won't cover you if something happens and if you don't take steps they also won't cover you.. How's that work?
Well, that works to BMW's advantage, which is how corporate situations are suppose to work. Kinda like being the house in Vegas. The house almost ALWAYS WINS. The first scenario is modifying the bike, which could break a warranty clause, and the other is an act of GOD, which is also covered, as not being covered, in the warranty. House wins, see...

To me, the guard would probably never heat the oil temp to a point past breaking it down, causing engine failure, but a crack or hole in the cooler could cause that engine failure... Pick your poison, and best of luck... tp dd50

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hello everyone

I had battled the pros and cons on this subject 2 years ago and I decided not to put a protective oil-shield
And yes mostly due to BMW not warranting and also due to overheating

Well after 3 years living in very hot and humid climate the 9T never really burned any oil and I have had pebbles rocks and
other debris hit the bike (yes tank cover helps) but never any problems with heat or damage to oil coolant

So this may sound Like I am for saving money and not buying a protective shield for the oil coolant
But surprise to me too. After rereading this thread and after my warranty expired :) ( I am more brave now :)
I think you all convinced me that we all should have a protector and the oil coolant protectors would not be any cause of overheating unless you never clean your bike.
It make no sense what BMW is saying unless they really have proof and tested results.

if one collects crud or collects a rock then. CONGRATS on the rock (thats what it is supposed to do is shield you)
And if you build up too much crud and dirt then you re just a dirty person with your bike and even if you didnt have a oil coolant shield Well your oil coolant would of overheated anyway due to dirt and crud again
so if one cleans their bikes on a normal basis
And if one acts like a Pilot and does a (pre flight). Pre ride walk around and review like I do before I ride
then this should never be an issue

just an opinion ,

but hey does anyone have any info images on the different shields for the oil coolant ?
ready to buy :)

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I bought mine from AltRider. Oil Cooler Guard for the BMW R nineT Models AltRider They claim "superior cooling" with their guard. It's a nice piece of metal, well made, fits good, and seems to be quite strong. I always use radiator guards on my liquid cooled dirt bikes, so I never gave it a second thought when I saw my oil cooler hanging there near the front tire. The only time my oil temp got really high, 281°, was on a 110° day stuck in terrible traffic in Zion Nationl Park.

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I bought mine from AltRider. Oil Cooler Guard for the BMW R nineT Models AltRider They claim "superior cooling" with their guard. It's a nice piece of metal, well made, fits good, and seems to be quite strong. I always use radiator guards on my liquid cooled dirt bikes, so I never gave it a second thought when I saw my oil cooler hanging there near the front tire. The only time my oil temp got really high, 281°, was on a 110° day stuck in terrible traffic in Zion Nationl Park.
Looks like a nice piece of kit. I'd have gone for this if I already hadn't fitted one. Certainly my personal experience has been that my bike has had no overheating issues since fitting my Evotech cooler guard, though admittedly Scottish summers won't be anywhere near as hot as some other parts of the globe.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I know a lot of folks like the various guards but in more years of riding than I care to admit, I have never had anything hit a rad/oil cooler that could damage it. Well, there was a deer one time but good luck allowed me to dodge it.

Certainly on a dirt bike, there is a reasonable chance of something being tossed up that could damage a cooler but I just don't see the value on the street.

OTOH - BMW's (or anybody else's) warranty would not stop me from doing anything I wanted to a new bike - at least it never has so far... ;)

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I know a lot of folks like the various guards but in more years of riding than I care to admit, I have never had anything hit a rad/oil cooler that could damage it. Well, there was a deer one time but good luck allowed me to dodge it.

Certainly on a dirt bike, there is a reasonable chance of something being tossed up that could damage a cooler but I just don't see the value on the street. ;)
On the dirt bike I never had a flying rock damage my radiators, it's been falling onto rocks or playing tag with trees. The guards got bent but I rode home. And I did lose an oil cooler on my R100GS, my avatar pic bike. Something kicked up off another rider's tire and flew into my cooler with a bang.

And I do care to admit how many years I've been riding: This is my 50th. But these days I admit my moto is a hybrid- the engine runs on gasoline and the Dynamic Control Module runs of Starbucks®.

·
Registered
417 Posts
https://evotech-performance.com/products/bmw-r-nine-t-urban-g-s-oil-cooler-guard-2017

Just ordered this one. I'll be taking the UGS offroad and the oil radiator is quite exposed even for simple gravel roads (and it looks better than a mud guard extension). If I lived in Arizona, I'd probably think twice, but usually when its above 30C/86FI I dont ride much as it's humid and it gets uncomfortable very fast, and I always avoid city traffic at all cost. Last year I rode a GS1200 2008 (air cooled) in Australia when it was 41C/106F (though it was fairly dry so it didnt feel much hotter than a 30C here). Engine temperature never climbed...yet the road surface was literally starting to liquify on the surface...I just walked on it and you could see my footprints...

·
Registered
606 Posts
All kinds of opinions. I spoke yesterday to the service mgr at the dealer that will be looking after my bike, and she said she saw no problem at all with a cooler guard as long as it's kept clean.
On the other hand, she suggested that I not disconnect the charcoal canister till the warranty was up.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Possibly, I say possibly, the closer the mesh is to the cooler, the greater its blocking properties. If moved forward a bit, the air flow may open up behind the mesh and cover a greater amount of the cooler. Wanna see an exposed oil cooler? Check out the one on my HD XR1200. It just sticks out in the wind, all by its lonesome. There are screens made for it too, but haven't heard of anyone on our dedicated forum have a hit to the cooler, that did any damage. tp dd50

Funny you brought that up. At first I had a similar notion. I was planning on placing a screen between the fork piston rods of my Racer, in part to move the screen further from the radiator, to not directly cover the radiator, and thus enable better incidental, turbulent airflow. I think theres some truth to this, and will likely still do this. Theres also the fact that those fork struts, and the front wheel & fender/hugger already provide some rock strike protection. I also intend to use a looser mesh, relying on probability of a sufficiently sized (to cause cooler damage) rock getting through.

With further thought, it is actually better to have the guard closer to the cooler, because airflow efficiency through a guard will be higher at lower air stream speed, and the airflow is slowed by the cooler anyway. Thus, I expect there will be less restriction felt if the screen is right against the cooler. Of course, some spacing needs to be allowed for deflection of the screen during a rock strike, or it will be useless. So it's a trade off. The required spacing may be enough to hurt flow noticeably.

Some random engineer thoughts/observations...

Many people claim that they see no problem after "testing" their screens on their bikes. In fact, the screens do indeed restrict airflow. It's a matter of degree, no pun intended.

A real test, suitable for any owner in any environment, is to stress test the cooling system under the most extreme foreseeable operating conditions the owner expects to subject the bike to. Riding along at normal riding conditions isnt a test. Full duty cycle throttle operation, i.e. track racing conditions, would be a proper test. Or running in traffic at 40km/h in 120F air temps at 5000ft elevation; better yet, uphill to boot. Even if the bike seems fine, a water cooled bike will be running with its thermostat more open, more often. Any cooling system will simply have less cooling capacity. That wont matter 99% of the time. But it's the other 1% where it really matters.

I have a 2016 Triumph STR, water cooled. I installed a radiator guard. It has a water temp gauge, and in summer riding, I DID notice a slight increase in routine water temps. Most of the time, there is no problem, but Id be careful about tracking my bike in summer heat.

I have a Mk1 MR2. I installed an oil-water heat exchanger. In the winter, to keep oil temps down, I actually block my water radiator, to open the thermostat more, and increase water circuit flow, thus decreasing oil temps. It all comes down to the operating conditions, the individual user requirements.

The 281F "high oil temp" that has been mentioned a couple times in this thread, is approximately the maximum upper limit of the temp readout. So it may be that the oil got hotter.

My 2017 Racer also has an engine temp gauge.

I will likely install protection of some kind on my Racer, because overheating is something I can manage (thanks to the temp gauge). A disablement from a rock strike putting a hole in my oil system, that's harder to manage

41 - 60 of 77 Posts