BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2019 Scrambler Option 719, 2013 K1600GTL,
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shy about opening a new post but I didn't see anything like this in the forum. Moderators, if this belongs elsewhere, Mea Culpa (translated: my fault), and please delete or move it or whatever.

I am getting a warning light on the speedo on occasion. It happens under full throttle in any gear, and well under the rev limiter. The throttle has to be wide open and the light will flicker momentarily without any chance for a problem icon to display. There doesn't seem to be any engine issues. If it's missing, I can't feel it.

It's definitely not traction control, because that might be activating as well so It's not the same light. Anybody experienced something like this?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motorcycle

· Premium Member
3,138 Posts
I'm shy about opening a new post but I didn't see anything like this in the forum. Moderators, if this belongs elsewhere, Mea Culpa (translated: my fault), and please delete or move it or whatever.

I am getting a warning light on the speedo on occasion. It happens under full throttle in any gear, and well under the rev limiter. The throttle has to be wide open and the light will flicker momentarily without any chance for a problem icon to display. There doesn't seem to be any engine issues. If it's missing, I can't feel it.

It's definitely not traction control, because that might be activating as well so It's not the same light. Anybody experienced something like this?

View attachment 159876
No help from me Gene, never an issue. You say the fault light never gets a chance to appear .. does this mean the initial warning light goes out and it is as it should be .. so the warning is brief and then goes away all by itself even if you hold it full throttle ? … so it only happens at full throttle but as soon as you back off it stops ?… and if you hold full throttle do you not ever hit the rev limiters ? I’m trying to figure out what is turning it out after it lights off … I’m clueless Gene … but somebody here is going to know ……….. Blitz

· Registered
687 Posts
Are you sure is not traction control?. When it is going to work during riding a light appears flickering. The Light maintain off after initial checking but then if rear wheel is spinning while riding the "triangle" light will lights on just to indicate traction control is working properly. Have a look at owners manual.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The warning light, NOT the ASC light flickers randomly when the bike is at full acceleration. I don't normally accelerate to the rev limiter but I don't have a tach so no idea how close I get. As the warning light is flickering, there are no indications on the speedometer what's wrong. The warning light doesn't come on under calm acceleration, during idle or when cruising at any speed.
turned out to be a loose bulb in the headlamp
Thanks @Hardgravity , I installed a LED headlight not very long ago. I'll make sure the connections are good.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't . Still researching the OBDlink. I'm not a huge fan of the GS-911, or more specifically, the price tag of the GS-911 with a Vin limit.

· Registered
687 Posts
Ok. Checking owner manual I see 2 triangles. Big one is general warning triangle and smaller one inside a circle is ASC?

If you see general warning triangle flickering is not good. Something is wrong. Engine is not working properly.? Have you already running in engine?. First kilometers (20.000km?) is better not stress so much engine. Take it easy and check oil level.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know it's been a while but I have a theory. What's interesting is I had the warning light issue on more than one occasion. However, today under full throttle, I got a warning light flicker as before. A minute later though, it came on with a fuel light. Shortly after that, the light went out again. That got me thinking. After filling up, I tried the full throttle thing several times, and once going up a fairly steep hill with no warning lights.

· Premium Member
3,138 Posts
Full throttle, petrol moves away from the fuel sensor, warning light. Makes sense.
This is just a guess ..but I think the CanBus will allow a “time-out” timer to expire before illuminating any indicator that’s about fuel measurement ..because fuel sloshes around in the tank …. The CanBus will look at the signal several times to be sure it’s consistent and not just a surge.. before it signals you “low fuel” ….. I’m just making this up but if logic prevails it’s bound to be true, …otherwise we’d be plagued by false signals every time we underwent acceleration or deceleration …. I’ve never had ghost signals on Blitz…. ………. Does anybody know for sure ? It’s bound to be firmware programming that checks the low fuel sensor so if it’s not hardware.. a switch or wiring then it’s the CanBus or a faulty gage assembly … Yes ? No ? ……………… Blitz

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know if it's normal or not, and since I got the bike used and out of warranty, don't expect a straight or honest answer from the dealer. My low fuel light will turn on, and then shut off again after a short period of time. A few miles later, it will turn back on and stay on till I refuel. Maybe that's one reason why I get warning flickers without a fail. Something slightly out of calibration? With plenty of fuel in the tank, I am not getting any kind of warning lights. I'm still testing wide open throttle acceleration regularly. I mean, just to be sure of course. 🏁
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

· Premium Member
3,138 Posts
I don't know if it's normal or not, and since I got the bike used and out of warranty, don't expect a straight or honest answer from the dealer. My low fuel light will turn on, and then shut off again after a short period of time. A few miles later, it will turn back on and stay on till I refuel. Maybe that's one reason why I get warning flickers without a fail. Something slightly out of calibration? With plenty of fuel in the tank, I am not getting any kind of warning lights. I'm still testing wide open throttle acceleration regularly. I mean, just to be sure of course. 🏁
View attachment 160106
Unless I am drastically mistaken I think that’s how it’s supposed to work. One or even two indications with an “idiot light” over say a 5 or 10 mile stretch is not uncommon on my machine … then it turns on constant until I fill up. For me those events are few … I’m old school, before I ever ride out… I open the tank, look down the tube and shake the bike and decide fuel or no fuel. Fuel Gages … what fuel gage, most bikes in my day had a reserve valve. You put it one way to turn on the fuel each time you rode and turning it the other way gave you about a quart reserve to get you to a fueling station…. Gage ? No gages Dude. Most of my bikes didn’t have working speedometers let alone a tach. I felt or heard my RPM’s and learned when to change gears by the way it sounded …and there were definitely no Rev-limiters. I would call it Spartan … NoFrillsWhatSoEver ! Today when you think Full Bobber … that was most everyone back then, I’m not talking tourists or baggers but the street fighters and local Boyz. The misbehavior types … having fun. Gages? We didn’t have no stinkin gages .. but .. we didn’t have locks on our gas tanks either .. what we did have was a lot a damn fun! ……… Here I am 50+ years later still doing the same damn thing .. having fun ! .. StayUpOn2 ……………… Blitz

1 - 19 of 19 Posts