BMW NineT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With delivery day nearing, I was interested to hear what other forum members intended to rub upon Their newborn baby! I know some people are more fastidious than others when it comes to bike cleaning. I'm in the category of "can't bear to see it dirty". And when I looked at the cleaning product shelf, I was interested to read the origins of my favourite products: For the wash down: Meguiar's soft was gel (USA), Post wash polish: Auto Glym (Made in Great Britain), Shiny bits: Autosol (Made in Germany),sometimes Mothers Alloy polish(USA), and for a quick "Debug": Meguiar's Quick detailer(USA). Any favourites out there that I may have never heard of ??:D

· Registered
238 Posts

· Premium Member
1,248 Posts
anyone heard about, or use already, something called 'Paint Protection'?
here in Oz they're trying to flog this stuff from the dealers showroom door. A mate had his wife's new car done at delivery a number of years ago - he swears by it, paint's still shiny, water still pearling, with no visible UV deterioration. His much younger car looks heaps worse & worn by comparison (not having had the protection put on). However, he doesn't remember which protection was used, if the dealer did it or if they took the car elsewhere ...

this could be it? http://www.paintprotectiondirect.com.au/ps_paint_protection.html

Another mate just restored an old Honda CB750, he's quite particular about the standard of cleanliness on his bikes - he uses nothing else but Mr. Sheen!

been doing it for years, dirt & dust just pearls off when he washes it, no drama with waxing & buffing .... his bikes look great!

:confused:

· Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've also got a mate with a Honda (Firestorm) that uses only Mr Sheen! I used to use it back in the 80's and 90's, but eventually tried other things! My brother has had a bad run with the paint protection on his 4 year old Focus. After around 12 months, and following all the rules etc, a great many swirls became noticeable, (it's metallic black) after much to and fro, He eventually went back to the old school way, and polishes it regularly. I'm uncertain of the brand though, I'm sure there's good ones and not so good one's:)

· Registered
636 Posts
I've also got a mate with a Honda (Firestorm) that uses only Mr Sheen! I used to use it back in the 80's and 90's, but eventually tried other things! My brother has had a bad run with the paint protection on his 4 year old Focus. After around 12 months, and following all the rules etc, a great many swirls became noticeable, (it's metallic black) after much to and fro, He eventually went back to the old school way, and polishes it regularly. I'm uncertain of the brand though, I'm sure there's good ones and not so good one's:)
just curious but what is he using now? there must be a good reason for that.

· Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just curious but what is he using now? there must be a good reason for that.
He's a Meguire's man! And always had been until this car, and the coating that was purchased when it was new. It wasn't cheap either, from memory. I think $1000 rings a bell. It came with a lot of stipulations, You had to use their detergent, cloths to be of a certain fabric, etc etc. But the swirls were very noticeable, especially in the sunlight.

· Registered
Urban G/S
109 Posts
What are folk using to protect their expensive paintwork? Assuming you are not just applying standard car wax?
I spend most of my cleaning time keeping the exhaust in good condition and cleaning in all the numerous nooks and crannies around the engine & frame. Paintwork gets Autoglym rapid aqua wax and always comes up looking good.

· Registered
172 Posts
Appreciate you sharing the vinegar and Harpic tips! Do wonder if there would be any difference between the 'ersatz' vinegar used in cheap Fish & Chip shops (label usually declares "Non-brewed Condiment" or NBC) and Sarson's Distilled Malt Vinegar. I suspect this discussion will be totally outwith the comprehension of Non-UK residents with limited interest in chips, salt and vinegar. I'm now off to the loo for an investigation into the contents of the cupboard behind the throne - no idea if the housekeeper uses Harpic for maintaining domestic hygiene standards.

· Registered
2 Posts
I spend most of my cleaning time keeping the exhaust in good condition and cleaning in all the numerous nooks and crannies around the engine & frame. Paintwork gets Autoglym rapid aqua wax and always comes up looking good.
It's a nice habit to clean and you give most of the time in cleaning. I just say enjoy work no matter what you do.

· Premium Member
Squashed Roadster
542 Posts
Only dust from the finest crushed fairy wings touch my bike.
But with Neverlands's export tax so high at present I tend to use Mer instead.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.