BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2013 R1200GSA 2021 Urban GS 2007 R1200RTP 2014 Moto Guzzi 1400 Touring
102 Posts
More than likely its carbon build up, causing hotspots. Poor quality fuel or from lugging the engine. Run a couple of tanks of your favorite fuel cleaner like Sea Foam or Techron and ride it like you stole it. Camheads need high revs, cant lug the engine. Use a lower gear and keeps the rpm’s up.

·
Registered
RnineT Scrambler 2021
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
First of all, thank you all guys for advices and your comments. This is my second day of testing. I would like to say, Yes, the higher octane helps! But, not on 100%. Today wasn’t so hot as previous days (I have noticed when it is hot the sound even worse), but still it’s better. Now about luging the engine, it’s doesn’t matter what rpm it is! So basically if I’m on 4 gear and some 4500 rpm and would like to open full throttle I still will get this sound. Same in the first gear, when starting the ride. Anyway, I have connected with Motorrard one again, will see what they will respond me this time.

·
Registered
2022 Scrambler
92 Posts
Possibly dumb suggestion: See if you can see anything loose in the tank.

A few years ago I chased an engine rattle problem on a Harley only for it to turn out to be the low fuel level sender rattling around in the tank.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I said Pre-ignition I meant detonation or knocking and isn't nearly so serious, so a large slice of humble pie for Weegie

It sounds to me like the pinking, pinging or rattle that you normally hear when that happens, but I could well be wrong and it's something else and just sort of sounds that way in the clips. Could be something else entirely

If it's detonantion it can be caused by a variety of things, low octane fuel, engine overheating, engine timing, hot spot in the combstion chamber and wrong spark plug grades are the ones I've heard about but there will probably be more.

The engine has knock sensors on each cylinder, so it might be worth asking Motorrad for a print out of data when they run the engine with the diagnostic equipment.

Just a guess but I'd reckon the ECU would retard the ignition timing when this occurs, but not 100%.

Hope you get a sucessful conclusion to it ASAP, it's very annoying when you get the "They all do that Sir" treatment.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Agree with the majority from the videos what I hear is a mechanical rattle that sounds like pre-ignition to me and it will get worse if the engine is really hot

Difficult to be certain as RPM & throttle position are unknown, but from the videos it sounds like you're coming off the throttle to low RPM then gassing it. You can also hear the noise reducing once engine revs start to build.

I'm in agreement with @BlitzSchnell & @Juice I'd drain the tank and fresh fill with super, check the book for the recommended grade. Sure you can run regular but I'd normally only do that if super wasn't available and then I'd keep the revs up to avoid low rpm/large throttle opening. (remember US Octane numbers are MON, europe is RON. A quoted Europe Octane would be a lower number in the US)

Although the BMW is a twin it's not a torque monster at low rpm and runs best when the revs are higher.

Guzzis are very similar & you'll always see on their forums, time after time "Don't lug it, rev it".

Newer bikes may also be worse due to leaner mapping of Euro 5, but I don't know

I also think it's what you described
It may be a good way to turn down the throttle and cause a downshift

·
Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
1,602 Posts
Im with juice and blitz and a few others. Sounds like lugging or bad gas bad plug or valves out.
Or throttle body is horribly out of sync.
When in doubt why don't you just take it back to the dealership and ask them. Sometimes spend a little bit of money let them figure it out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Your bike is basically brand new. Even with lower octane it shouldn't be pinging. Our bikes have ping sensors to prevent this. I wouldn't let service slide on this. Maybe the ping sensor is bad? I hate dealer service centers. They never seem willing to fix or investigate a problem until it's too late and out of warranty. You can definitely hear the sound in your video. I would push them to investigate more. Even ask them to at least change the ping sensors out. They should be relatively cheap. Sorry about your bad luck with the bike, hope you get it resolved.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ummm. I think you my be looking in the wrong place. (I bought a cheap motoring stethoscopes to find my noise after my main dealer said there was no noise!) Open your tank filler, and put your finger into the tank and you will feel a metal type thing dangling down inside from the top of the tank. This is a fairly basic slightly crudely made device that cuts off the fuel if the bike goes down. On my bike it was loose. My tame mechanic took the thing out, crimped it up, put the whole thing back in the tank and fingers crossed the noise has not come back. The noise drove me CRAZY and if I had not sorted it out the bike would of been gone. I am now starting to feel the love for the bike, even more so when I get the suspension sorted.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had exactly the same sound on my EU5 Classic. My EU4 Pure never did that, actually it was great to lug it in first and second, it felt happy doing just that. Of course it's not a good idea to lug the engine up a steep hill at idle, but I doubt that anyone here would ever do that.

There's something about that noise that it makes it particularly concerning, I agree.

The dealership didn't want anything to do with it.
If I were you I'd check your oil consumption very regularly. Mine was guzzling oil, and blue puffs on startups were very frequent and getting worse. All fine they said, all fine.

That's one of the few main reasons why I sold my bike. My uneducated guess was that the bike was pinging and that it probably caused blow-by that started wrecking piston rings. We'll never know as it's been sold to another dealership.

The vent valve is an interesting lead, but it doesn't really make the same sound or does it ?

God I hate dealership service centers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ummm. I think you my be looking in the wrong place. (I bought a cheap motoring stethoscopes to find my noise after my main dealer said there was no noise!) Open your tank filler, and put your finger into the tank and you will feel a metal type thing dangling down inside from the top of the tank. This is a fairly basic slightly crudely made device that cuts off the fuel if the bike goes down. On my bike it was loose. My tame mechanic took the thing out, crimped it up, put the whole thing back in the tank and fingers crossed the noise has not come back. The noise drove me CRAZY and if I had not sorted it out the bike would of been gone. I am now starting to feel the love for the bike, even more so when I get the suspension sorted.
Makes a crackling sound when hitting a pothole

·
Registered
151 Posts
Description sounds like you are lugging the engine. The boxer twin is not a Harley. Its happy from 3k rpms to 7k rpms. Its a mid range engine. At very low loads you can run down in to the 2k range, be immediately down shift if you want to accelerate.

The the brake squeal, while annoying, will easily be fixed by proper bed in and adding some brake quiet paste to the back of the pads. Replacing rotors and pads was a foolish fix, and sounds like maybe it was either the dealer wanting warranty work or they thought it would make you happy.

Edit...sorry..just found the videos. Its sounds like pinging, and 95 RON fuel should be good enough. This is a dual spark engine. You could have a faulty coil or spark plug that is making pinging worse. of the dealer wont do it,, I would pull the plugs and see if one looks different

21 - 35 of 35 Posts