BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So; Today i noticed something weird.

I put the bike outside; turned the key on and it did the sweepy swoop with the gauges. With the normal sound of the fuel pump priming.
When pushing the starter button nothing happened; but instant the gauges did their sweepy swoop again, when pushing the starter nothing happened.

I turned off the bike with the key, turned it back on. It fired right up. Not had a problem since.
Went on short ride; stopped a few times and started it again.. worked all fine.

Noticed i also had it on camera.. so here's the footage.

What could this be? Just a one time fluke?

Some added info: pre-yesterday the bike didnt start because of a fuel line that was disconnected (probably because i lifed the tank the day b4 and it was already loose). I put that back; fired it up once as a test.. it ran fine and i put the bike away. Could that have something to do with it?

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
So; Today i noticed something weird.

I put the bike outside; turned the key on and it did the sweepy swoop with the gauges. With the normal sound of the fuel pump priming.
When pushing the starter button nothing happened; but instant the gauges did their sweepy swoop again, when pushing the starter nothing happened.

I turned off the bike with the key, turned it back on. It fired right up. Not had a problem since.
Went on short ride; stopped a few times and started it again.. worked all fine.

Noticed i also had it on camera.. so here's the footage.

What could this be? Just a one time fluke?

Some added info: pre-yesterday the bike didnt start because of a fuel line that was disconnected (probably because i lifed the tank the day b4 and it was already loose). I put that back; fired it up once as a test.. it ran fine and i put the bike away. Could that have something to do with it?
I agree, thats an electrical issue …start with checking, cleaning and retightening the battery terminals …..Blitz

Reactions: Stewy62

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Will check the terminals and measure the battery.

I dont think it's the battery.. replaced it 1 month ago. But you never know if it's a bad one..
Sounds exactly as though the terminals were not quite making proper contact and then second try probably electrically arced together and started. Tighten them and all will be better….
Nice and tight Chris……..Blitz

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checked the terminals.. measured the battery..

All fine. Just a one time fluke i guess.. It started right up without any hesitation for the past 20 times already.

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Could be an issue with the start button or the side stand switch..
Chris’s quote ….
“When pushing the starter button nothing happened; but instant the gauges did their sweepy swoop again, when pushing the starter nothing happened.”

You could be right Tom but how does the instrument re-start play into that … your right, the start switch or interlock on the kickstand would keep it from starting but would it reset the power to the instruments too ?
I think a battery short brought on by engaging the starter caused an arc …… my best … That’s the problem with flukes Chris, you usually never know what it was. Glad it stopped, with out the option to kick start these motorcycles …when that happens your stuck .,. That 1200 is a muther to push start………………….Blitz

Reactions: UGS_Tom

·
Registered
160 Posts
... would keep it from starting but would it reset the power to the instruments too ?
Quite right
Cuisine Font Dish Circle Recipe

Cable damage in the dashboard with the starter button ?

I dont think it's the battery.. replaced it 1 month ago. But you never know if it's a bad one..
Mass connection after the change correct?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See the clip i inserted b4.. It was kinda weird what happened.

When the clip starts i already turned they key; when i get on the bike you can still see them doing their "Sweep Swoop" (1st time)
Then i push the start button; and they instantly sweep swoop again a 2nd time. The bike did not start.

Turned the igniton off > back on > started fine.

Inbetween 1st and 2nd try i did nothing. Did not move the handlebars, did not operate the side stand, did nothing.
Nothing changed; yet it started fine the 2nd time.

Can the fuel pump be a factor? It detecting not enough pressure / not enough fuel in the system so it prevents the bike from starting? And it wants u to redo the ignition (and therefore fuelpump cycle) again?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When lifting the tank for installing some extra lights like 4 days ago; after putting it down again the bike didnt start.
Found out it was a loose fuel line.. (It probably was already loose b4 lifting the tank).. Maybe it's a fluke / after effect of that debacle.

Some leftover air in the system or something?

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,057 Posts
I doubt this is it, but I've had my bike look like it was going to start, then it didn't, and on the little LCD screen a key was flashing. It was the immobilizer function. The grooves in my ignition key had a bit of grime in the them, and the bike didn't trust that it was the actual key to the bike and refused to start. Again, this probably isn't the issue, but just in case check your key for any grime or residue in the groove.

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
See the clip i inserted b4.. It was kinda weird what happened.

When the clip starts i already turned they key; when i get on the bike you can still see them doing their "Sweep Swoop" (1st time)
Then i push the start button; and they instantly sweep swoop again a 2nd time. The bike did not start.

Turned the igniton off > back on > started fine.

Inbetween 1st and 2nd try i did nothing. Did not move the handlebars, did not operate the side stand, did nothing.
Nothing changed; yet it started fine the 2nd time.

Can the fuel pump be a factor? It detecting not enough pressure / not enough fuel in the system so it prevents the bike from starting? And it wants u to redo the ignition (and therefore fuelpump cycle) again?
I still hold to the “arc” theory. Fact .. battery recently changed. Possibly didn’t tighten bolts as tight as they should be … works fine, for a while. Then one fine day ..the amount of full on current from the battery (the most pull it ever gets) that somewhat tight terminal (to the battery itself) is conductive enough to power up the clocks and assorted hardware, thus the instruments illuminate and do their dance but the second you energies the relay to the starter the somewhat tight connection arc’s and down goes the CanBus and reboots and again the instruments dance but this time you have basically welded a tiny connection where the terminals arced and now there is sufficient amperage available to engage and start the bike. BUT … I promise.. it will fail again if not corrected and if your like me it will happen at the most inconvenient time possible. I speak from experience … by the time I got back home.. only to discover it was a simple connection on the battery it cost me $200 bucks transport. Check it, clean the connections if they are dirty and tighten … I think someone told me its 8nm ..but look it up. It’s tighter than I would have thought ..which is why it failed me in the first place. Im old school and never torqued anything, I just twisted it as tight as I could just short of stripping the threads … now days, not so much, I bought a really good digital torque wrench and I go specs on everything.
The engineers on these machines consider the fastener material and hardness, diameter, thread count, pitch and depth, duty cycle and shear strength. Then they assign a value and state a specific torque and all of a sudden I started to pay attention. They know what their doing, I don’t !
Clean & tighten and your past that hurdle, never to have that one to bite your butt again .. Nuf said ……….Blitz

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Will double check the battery connections soon.. If we get stranded here in the Netherlands you have a service called the "Anwb" .. it's like a 110 euro / year subscription and they come help you when you are in need. Most times within 30 minutes to an hour they arrive. They are trained mechanics and will tow the bike to a dealer if needed with a truck, and it doesnt even cost you anything extra ;).
For that 110 euro's you can make 4 calls in a year.. and they will come. Really good deal tbf. Dont you have something like this in the US?.. i always read about those expensive transport stories from everyone.

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Will double check the battery connections soon.. If we get stranded here in the Netherlands you have a service called the "Anwb" .. it's like a 110 euro / year subscription and they come help you when you are in need. Most times within 30 minutes to an hour they arrive. They are trained mechanics and will tow the bike to a dealer if needed with a truck, and it doesnt even cost you anything extra ;).
For that 110 euro's you can make 4 calls in a year.. and they will come. Really good deal tbf. Dont you have something like this in the US?.. i always read about those expensive transport stories from everyone.
Yes, I actually bought a tow policy from the dealership when I bought the bike. BUT you are only covered for forty-miles from the center of town so you always get nailed with some costs. Sound like your service is much better, wait time here is much longer. …………… you know if the bike breaks significantly that’s one thing but if you later find out it was something simple, something that could have been prevented and ends up costing you way to much … lesson learned for this rider ……………….Blitz

Reactions: Chris.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So; could this have something to do with the startup fluke?

This is the left breather tube (standing infront of the bike) That goes to the charcoal canister.

I cut it off; and put it back on.

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
486 Posts
So; could this have something to do with the startup fluke?

This is the left breather tube (standing infront of the bike) That goes to the charcoal canister.

I cut it off; and put it back on.
Wouldn’t think so, it’s totally unrelated. I still bet on battery, loose terminals or bad battery (even if new) BTW, battery terminal torque is 8Nm.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts