BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stumbled across these lights (link below), which appear to be a great alternative to mounting separate driving/auxiliary/riding lights. They use the existing indicator housing. Install seems to be relatively simple. I've contacted Weiser and they are willing to offer our forum a 10% discount. Use Code: 9TOWN10

weisertechnik.com/driving-lightturn-signals

Would be interested in hearing from anyone that has installed these.

Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've had some in the shed for a few weeks and they were finally installed yesterday. I'm definitely not tech savvy and so I took my bike to the dealer for the install. It took them, or rather I was charged, for an hours labour.

The lights themselves are very bright, as are the indicators. The switch between the two is smooth.

The fit is really neat and I think a good way of making yourself more visible without having additional lights added. Although quite expensive once imported into the UK I'm pleased with them. I hope the pictures give a reasonable idea of what they're like. I've tried to get a daylight, garage and night time shot so you get the full range. I'm now considering the brake / indicator lights for the back.

Headlamp Automotive lighting Vehicle Light Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle Headlamp

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Light Lighting Night Automotive lighting Street light

·
Registered
36 Posts
I installed the plain Weisertechnik.Ultra Bright Extreme turn-signal LED's (Without the new driving light option) last year which are a vast improvement over the stock bulbs. These new models were not available at the time but I will look to install these in the future as they offer a quality product.

I also run with Skene Photon Blaster lights in front & P3 rear brake light flashers - another quality product - extremely bright. Riding here in NJ traffic - I can't get bright enough.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How much brighter is it over just the headlight alone?
They're noticeably brighter than the main light but only throw a little extra light in front of the front wheel and that's about it. For me the purpose of them is to make myself more visible and not for extra light. London has street lights a plenty which is great for visibility. It's the myopic drivers that are the problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Skene P3 lights also. Have them on my 1200GSA and I swear by them, though I haven't ordered a set for the R9T yet...but it's definitely at the top of my list.

I've been planning to convert to bar-end turn signals and lose the stock units on the R9T, but these are making me re-think that idea...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Twinshock, I am trying to figure out how best to install these lights. Do you have any pictures of the wiring your dealer did? From the instructions it seems like you need to run the wire from the right light to the left side of the bike. Also, do you know where they tapped the 12V switched power? Was it from the auxiliary GPS plug? Thanks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I bought the 2-in-1 driving lights/turn signals and rear running lights/turn signals and started the install this afternoon. LOTS of interruptions later I had to throw in the towel when I connected the fronts and while the turn signals worked perfectly the driving lights stay on all the time, key in bike on, key in bike off, or no key at all.

:/

I tapped the rear running light wire near where it comes out from under the tail. In the brief amount of troubleshooting I had I discovered that with the key out of the bike the **** wire shows 12v hot and the rear tail light is NOT on, while with the key in/on the wire reads 8.5v and the tail light running light is on.

What is this magic?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Twinshock, I am trying to figure out how best to install these lights. Do you have any pictures of the wiring your dealer did? From the instructions it seems like you need to run the wire from the right light to the left side of the bike. Also, do you know where they tapped the 12V switched power? Was it from the auxiliary GPS plug? Thanks.
I've no idea how they did it. The instructions looked quite clear until tapping into the wiring. Hence why I paid the dealer and drank coffee whilst they did the work. They didn't use the gps plug as thats already in use.
I must say with them fitted and the days getting shorter they do appear to make me more noticeable to other traffic in town.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can anyone help with identifying/how to identify (1) the switched wire and (2) the brake light wire coming out of the tailight? I need to find these to do the install. I am assuming it is easiest to tap these wires under the rear seat, but if anyone has an easier place to tap, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
This is timely.

I'm having trouble with the installation, and Weiser is providing good support, but thus far we haven't been able to figure out the solution.

First, @cheno, the brake wire coming out of the tail light bundle is grey with a black stripe. This is directly from Weiser as part of the troubleshooting we've been doing. Also, they said you can tap the same grey/black stripe wire from the accessory plug under the tail, which is much handier than getting it from the bundle coming out of the tail light.

Next, I'm going to tell my story, and hope that someone here can figure out what's going on.

First, I installed the Weiser front driving light 2-1 kit, and it worked fine. However, at the time, because I knew I was going to get into the tail wiring for the rear lights, I decided (oops?), to tap the running light wire from the tail light bundle (grey with red stripe) as a key-activated 12v source. Again, the front signals worked perfectly, as advertised.

Next, I installed the rear kit, tapping the grey/black stripe wire from the tail light bundle, per the instructions, with no installation errors that I could see. Result:

Key on: Buzzing from relay, tail light running light on, no red running light from turn signals, amber turn signals normal, brake lever pulled yields bright brake lights from tail light and turn signals.

Engine running: All of the above, plus turn signals go to rapidly flickering red lights.

Per phone con with Weiser tech, I shouldn't have connected the front kit wire to the tail light running light wire for CanBus reasons. He thought that was the cause of the problems.

I disconnected the front kit wire (still haven't reconnected it), and no change resulted.

I tried a new ground point for the rear kit: No change.

I swapped the relay (which is identical) from the front kit to the rear: No change

I moved the rear kit PosiTap from the tail light bundle to the same grey w/black stripe wire of the accessory bundle under the tail. No change.

The bike shows no warnings on the dash with key on or running. I have no code-reading capability.

As I said Weiser tech support has been great but, on the other hand, the problem still isn't solved.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Okay, I'm following up on my install of the Weiser front turn signal/driving light and rear turn signal/brake light kits.

Cliff notes: Weiser tech support was great, and my bike and/or my install and/or me was the problem stepchild, but everything is now working as it should.

The front kit installed with no problems.

With the rear kit I had two problems:

1. An annoying buzzing coming from the Weiser-supplied relay.

2. The rear turn signal red LED's would flicker when the engine was running.

Weiser tech support didn't seem too surprised by the buzzing relay, and sent me a doohickey (I suspect a resistor in some sort of configuration) to add to the install, and it fixed the problem.

The rear turn signal flickering was a real bitch to troubleshoot, and in the end I was the one who came up with the fix. Distilling over a month of back and forth:

• I checked my installation for correctness about 57 times

• I checked all my connections about 59 times

• Weiser tech called me from England about six times to go over troubleshooting and the latest ideas to try and readings to take

• Weiser sent a complete replacement kit. I swapped out the LED boards and the relay with no change.

• Weiser told me they had sold over 30 self-installed kits to 9T owners with no flickering problem

• A Weiser guy who owns a 9T has the kit on it with no problems

• They still don't know why my bike did the flickering

• I guess I'm just special

The difference between flickering and not flickering was engine on versus key on/engine off. I thought it was the vibration of the engine but, as I said, I checked the integrity of the connections over and over. Everything was Positive-Tapped and shrink wrapped from the start.

Then, finally, I began to think about how another difference between engine off and engine on was (in round numbers) 12 volts from the battery with key on only and 14 volts from the alternator with the engine running. Perhaps the extra "push" from the additional 2 volts with engine running was causing back current?

I wired a 3A diode into the wiring going to the LED' and, shazam, the flickering stopped.

I'm not certain that my theory was correct, but I am sure that the diode stopped the problem. Maybe it was the right thing to do for the wrong reason. (I'm not an EE major.)

Weiser tech support was excellent throughout. Although it turned out to be such a puzzler that in the end it was my fix, they did everything they could to diagnose and troubleshoot from thousands of miles away.

A few more things:

• I had originally misunderstood the features of the rear kit. The red LED's in the turn signals are use as brake lights only, not additionally as running lights. Weiser told me that was a conscious design decision on their part in order to increase the visual impact of the brake lights coming on. Personally, I would prefer them to also be rear red running lights (as it is on a kit I installed on my Sportster), but that's how they've chosen to do it.

• A Weiser guy told me that when people see the kit installed on a bike the product sells itself and I believe it. The increase in visual presence from the front with the white turn signal LED driving lights is impressive. The visual impact of the brake lights from the rear is increased by about 10X over stock. A buddy with an R1200R came over, watched me demo the lights, and ordered the kits the same day. I think it's a very significant safety enhancement for the bike.

• Weiser told me about some cool new stuff they have in the pipeline. I don't think I'm authorized to disclose it, so I won't, but I'll likely be spending more $$ with them when it comes out.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I just installed both of the Weiser Technik LED lights and turn signals kits, front and back. The front was no problem, but a slight issue came up on the back. Not as serious as alienbogey had. The relay for the brake and turn signal lights buzzed. It wasn't very loud but I called Weisner anyway, just to be sure it wouldn't become a problem later. They were great, said every once in a while one will buzz and they sent a replacement immediately.

I think their light kits more than double your visibility on the road, both from the front and especially when engaging the brakes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.