Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Such an informative website.

Reactions: tofur and 25PSi

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Tuning for the nineT? Cool.

It'd be great if they could show us what is possible.
Their website doesn't specify the 9T tune as being available. Very uninformative website as to the detail of their products.

Reactions: Tiago Garcia

·
Registered
442 Posts
Has anyone done an independent dyno test of such stuff? I tend to look at fueling/timing mods done as a "one size fits all" thing as more marketing than actual.

I would not consider the manufacturer's dyno charts/claims to be anything other than a marketing tool. There are so many ways to, shall we say, manipulate the data, that it is impossible to tell if everything is being accurately represented. Remember, they are trying to SELL something... ;)

Here's a quick example of one I was personally involved with some years back:

A well known US maker of aftermarket "performance" (i.e. LOUD) car mufflers - bright red ones that you can see through from one end to the other - wanted to publish an ad showing the performance gain by simply bolting on their mufflers. We did the dyno work. First test - a fairly new Camaro. Did test stock; did test with 2 red mufflers. Dyno showed 6 LESS hp with red muffs over stock muffs. To cut this story short, (we did 15 different tests) the company found a chevy with essentially clapped out mufflers and the Dyno showed a 13 HP increase for the new red mufflers. Of course, new OEM mufflers would have likely showed a greater increase! The ad then appeared in national car mags advertising that simply bolting on a pair of these mufflers added 13 HP, with the dyno plot to verify it. NEVER believe a company's claim without independent, MEASURED, verification unless you already know that the company in question is totally reliable/truthful. Many are; some are not.

Reactions: 1561

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Stupid question ...

I may have asked this before: As my young daughter can tell you - ALL of those graphs with their beautifully coloured squiggly lines look soooo amazing! But, what are the real-life improvements this (or any) special tuning will do for me? So the bike gained 15 HP - so what? Where does THAT come into play?

- Will it get me from 0 - 100 km/h faster? If yes, will it take 4 seconds instead of slow 7 seconds?

- Will it help me to zip faster from 100 km/h to 160 km/h, when overtaking another vehicle? If so, will I be 0.8 seconds faster - or will it take much longer than that?

- If it increases HP/kW, will that mean the bike has less problems hauling my weight plus that of a pillion? If so, will that extra power need some extra fuel?

- Will my bike's fuel efficiency increase? If yes, by how much - come in at under 4 litres/100km - but still performing better / nippier / more responsive than in it's OEM state?

I'm enquiring about real-world benefits here. For middle-of-the-road rider/bike/trips everything .... Riding this bike, whilst I like to give the throttle/tire a good workout quite often, I personally don't feel the need to compete with highly tuned race horses. But then again, I may be completely ignorant of what the 'tuners' are capable of achieving for me, and how much more satisfaction awaits the rider .... >>> enlighten me ....
0:)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'll be giving the unit a go very soon. We'll probably have to develop some additional tunes once the 1270 cc kit and cams are completed.

Not a fan of flash tunes; only dyno tunes for me. However, I was not aware of bigger bore kits and cam for the R9T. Are these kits from BMW? When will they be available? Will the kits void any remaining warranty? Won't there likely be a BMW ECM flash to upgrade the ECM to adjust fuel and timing for the bigger bore/cam install to maintain warranty?

Just curious if anyone can answer those questions.;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Flash tunes are derived directly from data acquired from dyno tuning and data logging. So there's really no difference from hand held flash tool loading to loading from a laptop from a dyno database, just the different delivery method. Both are similar as in the; Rexxer and the OE Tuning unit.

Yes, aftermarket big bore kits and cams have been available this particular series motor for a while. Big Bore kits are motor series specific not model specific. Yes, it will void any warranty.

No, aftermarket flash tuning the ECU will generally void your warranty if the dealer finds out or knows you have. However with a flash tuner, you can download and save the OEM tune then re-flash upload the OEM tune before you take in for service. No harm no foul so to speak.

No, there will never be a BMW OEM ECM flash tune made available for a big bore aftermarket kit directly from BMW.

One word of note; when BMW updates your tune during service intervals, it's done with a hand held flash unit similar to the unit specified above but is specific for BMW use only.
I've always been a PC and dyno tune man as well but this does interest me.
How do you know what map to up load say I had the following set up.
1. titanium akro headers with flapper delete and high level arko with baffle removed.
2. no modifications to the air box.

cheers
gogs

·
Registered
258 Posts
You know you're paying about twice as much as a set of stainless headers right and what are you gaining? About 2 lbs in weight advantage over the stainless. Performance there's
no difference.
Yeah I'm aware of that. But I'm not doing it for any performance gain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts