BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at one, not a racer, not a scrambler, so I guess it is either a Pure, or a base spec. Or is there even a base spec in that year?

It has the sheet metal tank with the hand-welded seam, twin exhausts that are gray matte in finish, no brand name on the mufflers. I look through all the used listings for 2017 R Nine Ts and see only the scramblers having twin muffs, but this one is clearly not a scrambler.

Oh, and the front shocks are a gold color. What might this be?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am looking at one, not a racer, not a scrambler, so I guess it is either a Pure, or a base spec. Or is there even a base spec in that year?

It has the sheet metal tank with the hand-welded seam, twin exhausts that are gray matte in finish, no brand name on the mufflers. I look through all the used listings for 2017 R Nine Ts and see only the scramblers having twin muffs, but this one is clearly not a scrambler.

9t classic

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
603 Posts
hel

Hello, and welcome.... whoever you are???

It's customary to introduce yourself and say hi before diving in asking a question of members....

Oh, and please and thank you don't hurt either.....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks. I am 75, long time rider, have done many ironbutt-length solo rides, owned various makes and models. Last two were BMWs, one an R1200GS, one an F800GT. The one I did the most miles on was a Honda ST1100.

Am eager to ride again, since I sold the F800GT when leaving CO for SW FL. The bike I am looking at is pretty much exactly the spec seen in this video.

When in CO and hanging out at the dealer in Denver, getting service and parts and accessories, I always drooled on the R Nine Ts. Now I want one for boulevard and beach road cruising.

Maybe I should forget this. There are no places here to really ride like I had out along the front range north of Denver. I had all the canyon roads memorized. Left hand canyon, route 7 up from Lyons, the peak to peak highway from west of Boulder up to Estes Park, all the passes, the routes up north through the Poudre river canyon, the back roads up through eastern WY up through Lusk and beyond to the black hills. I miss them all.

Here is is just city boulevards and the interstates.
I doubt you'll forget about owning a 9t. Once you've been infected with the idea it's nearly impossible to find a cure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks as if the bike I see for sale has two pretty pricey accessories: the handbrush aluminum fuel tank with visible seam, and the twin tubes end muffler. What I cannot figure from looking at specs is whether that weld seam is available on a lesser tank than the "handbrush aluminum." BMW Motorrad's "build your own" seems to say the weld seam can be had for $250 or the handbrush tank WITH weld for over $3,000.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It looks as if the bike I see for sale has two pretty pricey accessories: the handbrush aluminum fuel tank with visible seam, and the twin tubes end muffler. What I cannot figure from looking at specs is whether that weld seam is available on a lesser tank than the "handbrush aluminum." BMW Motorrad's "build your own" seems to say the weld seam can be had for $250 or the handbrush tank WITH weld for over $3,000.
the visible seam tank only came on the full brushed aluminum tank, which you could get as an upcharge from the standard aluminum tank on the classic r9t, or as an expensive standalone accessory. the pure, scrambler, racer all come standard with steel tanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what value might this brushed aluminum tank plus handweld seam, and the twin exhaust mufflers seen on the bike in the video, bring to the used bike equation? And how did the forks get the brassy finish look? Is that another upgrade?

·
Registered
76 Posts
So what value might this brushed aluminum tank plus handweld seam, and the twin exhaust mufflers seen on the bike in the video, bring to the used bike equation? And how did the forks get the brassy finish look? Is that another upgrade?
1) The tank with visible welded seam is actually a less expensive part to replace, according to the microfiche. There's a $188 difference between the tank with weld visible and the tank with no weld visible.

2) The twin exhaust in the video is a factory akropovic muffler; I am 95% sure it's made from titanium

3) The adjustable upside down fork (the brassy one, as you say) is the highest quality front suspension that BMW offers stock - and it's only available on the classic, which is the top end model of the range. Full disclosure: it's still not great, but I would imagine better than what comes stock on the pure or scrambler (both are non adjustable)

·
Registered
143 Posts
To me it looks like a regular classic with the weld seam tank and the salesman marketing factory options as special parts.

Head over to the bmw motorrad website and compare what's offered from the factory on the 9t classic.

I'd be worried about two things on the is bike: battery and warranty.

With this type of low miles the battery could be in need of replacement soon.

I've heard from bmw techs that not putting enough miles on the bike per year can void the warranty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the valuable info. I am not getting any response from the seller on that one in Katy, TX. So now there is this, a low mileage Pure 100 miles away across the high speed alligator alley I-75.

Looks like a stock Pure with little in the way of upgrades. Fancy gas cap, fancy headlight bezel, one only mirror, the dealer says she can get the stock mirrors from the guy that traded it in. I would not ride without a right side mirror.

Would miss the details of the classic but maybe not. Lotta savings if I go with this Pure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
To me it looks like a regular classic with the weld seam tank and the salesman marketing factory options as special parts.

Head over to the bmw motorrad website and compare what's offered from the factory on the 9t classic.

I'd be worried about two things on the is bike: battery and warranty.

With this type of low miles the battery could be in need of replacement soon.

I've heard from bmw techs that not putting enough miles on the bike per year can void the warranty.

Agree with most of what you said here - but I'd bet that the rumor you've heard about not putting enough miles on and voiding the warranty is wrong.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Agree with most of what you said here - but I'd bet that the rumor you've heard about not putting enough miles on and voiding the warranty is wrong.
You'd probably win that bet. But, knowing how BMW operates, I'm still leaning towards believing it.

I'm thinking stuck fuel injectors, gummed fuel lines (in ethonal states), dead battery, and corroded brake components are some of the problems that could arise from not riding the bike enough.

Maybe I'll make the call to BMW motorrad corporate and find out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I doubt you'll forget about owning a 9t. Once you've been infected with the idea it's nearly impossible to find a cure.

I got mildly infected about a year ago, the infection just got worse and in the end I couldn't sleep at night, finally the fever broke and I received a revelation, my eyes woke wide open, the mist cleared and I understood, the great and merciful blue n white Bavarian god had spoken to me in the depth of my slumber.
Strangely the perfect opportunity arose on my 60th birthday, got up and opened the classifieds and there it was staring me in the face, that was it, fate took its turn and it was just a simple matter of a monetary transaction and the exchange was done.
A Pure Urban GS rode home to a new stable, a ride of about 200 clicks on amazing autumn backroads and me chuckling to myself all the way home....

·
Registered
143 Posts
I got mildly infected about a year ago, the infection just got worse and in the end I couldn't sleep at night, finally the fever broke and I received a revelation, my eyes woke wide open, the mist cleared and I understood, the great and merciful blue n white Bavarian god had spoken to me in the depth of my slumber.
Strangely the perfect opportunity arose on my 60th birthday, got up and opened the classifieds and there it was staring me in the face, that was it, fate took its turn and it was just a simple matter of a monetary transaction and the exchange was done.
A Pure Urban GS rode home to a new stable, a ride of about 200 clicks on amazing autumn backroads and me chuckling to myself all the way home....
Wow, you had a mild experience with the disease.

Mine lasted nearly four years. I battled with the syndrome constantly. The doctors couldn't do anything to ease the pain. I endured relentless suffering. I looked at more affordable bikes in the "modern classic" arena. That only made the infection worse. Finally, I test rode one; that was my moment of clarity. About 2 weeks later I was saved by my local bmw dealer, and I've been better ever since.

Praise the blue and white Bavarian enigma.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm wondering how the riding position might be. Most of my rides were sports-tourers, but I had a fun two year period riding an R1200GS in that upright chipmunk position.

But, is this bargain of a Pure going to do it for me?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm wondering how the riding position might be. Most of my rides were sports-tourers, but I had a fun two year period riding an R1200GS in that upright chipmunk position.

Go test ride one at your local bmw motorcycle dealership.

Please let us know what you think!

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Go test ride one at your local bmw motorcycle dealership.

Please let us know what you think!

Put handlebar risers on the Pure.
I’m not much older than you and the risers (Also more pullback) certainly made my ride better being more upright.
Cheers, Ken.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The local's a long long ways away. We've got Bentley, Rolls, Ferarri, Range Rover, Maserati, Porsche, Jaguar, you can even buy MacLarens, but the only bike dealer here is a crappy Suzuki joint. Even H-D is way way up the interstate.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I counted 6 bmw motorcycle dealerships in Florida.

Perhaps your infection isn't bad enough yet.

One of the reasons I bought a BMW is because I had the opportunity to test ride it. Paying over $10k for something I don't have an opportunity to test ride is ludicrous.

I take my 9T to a dealer for service 40 miles away from where I live.

Of course you have your own preferences and parameters for how you spend your money.

Hope you find the right bike for you.

·
Registered
138 Posts

I think a really good way to describe most aspects of this bike is balanced. It's heavy yet the low center of gravity really helps it remain nimble. The tank is long, but the bars have good sweep and benefit from a slightly higher tilt. Pegs aren't too far back, and IMO are perfect height, even for long highway touring. It's also very comfortable to stand up and ride, not quite as much as a GS though.

Overall IMO its a very neutral and balanced german sledgehammer. The torque is legit and predictable. I commute on mine and have done lots of mountainous touring. I don't see myself ever selling it.

The suspension is by no means bad, but no it's not "great", just basic. I cross traintracks almost daily and otherwise avoid potholes with no complains. The fit and finish is excellent too, it's a well made mass-produced bike from a luxury brand.

I believe the trim of the bike you're looking at, the classic, will hold its value best because of the forks, tank, gauge cluster and spoked wheels, but unfortunately they are not tubeless, which was an option on older bikes, and standard on later models iirc (My Urban GS has spoked tubeless). There is a BMW tax on accessories and aftermarket. Luggage is very expensive and not great. I was very comfortable on a 800 mi ea way trip with just a weekender bag on my pillion, before I got a rear rack. A lot of universal fit bags work well though.

Labor at official dealers tends to be around $150/hr, I budget about $450 per yearly service. OEM parts are rather expensive too (rotors for example). Battery is under the tank. Valve covers are easy to remove though and theres no coolant to leak. Just check the oil and tire pressure. The clutch is a pain to replace.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts