BMW NineT Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What are your plans for luggage?

32K views 47 replies 24 participants last post by  Lost Rider 
#1 ·
I realize that some of you may think that a luggage rack and hard cases will spoil the looks of the nineT, but practicality dictates that I have some kind of cargo capacity.

I'm wondering what options other forum members are considering.

The bolt-on aspect of the nineT's rear section leads me to think that I will be able to fabricate some kind of luggage rack/pannier carrier on my own if no aftermarket solutions present themselves. I would drop the passenger seat when it's time for a trip and bolt on the rack and cases, then switch back to the stock arrangement after the journey (at which point I could also go back to using the rear soft bag for rainsuit, toolkit, etc.

However, I am not familiar with the many pannier options that I am sure are out there. On my old R80, I simply went with the BMW cases until they cracked and latches fell off, then I replaced them with Krauser cases (which looked alright, but really weren't as solid). In short, I'm pretty clueless regarding what's available.

So, I am interested in your thoughts. And if anybody is handy at Photoshop, I'd be interested in seeing what some possibilities might look like on the nineT.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm thinking along similar lines. I never carry passengers but do need luggage capacity. Any pics available with the passenger seat removed but the subframe and side (footpeg) supports still in place? A luggage rack instead of the passenger seat might work well for me.

Paul

#3 ·
This is where your customising will have to start Paul ,or just use throwovers with a big roll bag strapped to the rear seat as I can't see the rear frame supporting panniers ,it will be enough weight with soft luggage on ;)without any mods :D

#5 ·
i don't like the TAIL or TANK bag BMW is already offering for this bike but i have to carry stuff, too

however, the aluminum hump to replace the passenger seat is something i'm surely getting
so... therein lies my problem

#16 ·
Hi all
Small rucksack for me
Plus dry bag .travel light
In the hump .spare underwear as first pair should last a week or more.
Right way round then back to front.
Inside out then other way round again.
Thats 4days wear.now if get a scare , drivers pulling out .I'll have a spare pair,another 4days worth.meantime with the others hanging off mirror in rain they will get clean again.
Definitely take s toothbrush to clean bike in seat hump.

#21 ·
If I need to carry enough stuff to require luggage that means I am on a trip with my wife and we wil be on the GTL. I am interested in the 9T when I don't have to carry stuff or go long distances. That being said I will make a small leather bag to hang off the back for essentials, wallet, phone, etc.

#22 ·
I realize that some of you may think that a luggage rack and hard cases will spoil the looks of the nineT, but practicality dictates that I have some kind of cargo capacity.

I'm wondering what options other forum members are considering.

So, I am interested in your thoughts. And if anybody is handy at Photoshop, I'd be interested in seeing what some possibilities might look like on the nineT.
1. daytrip: zip
2. weekend: tankbag
3. week: backpack+tankbag
4. longer: wife says no :(
or we take the trailer ( onepersonhandling with airsuspension, drove 100mls/hr and no prob )
van Vossen Trailers anhaenger führ 1 motorrad 2 motorräder trike oder quad

#26 ·
saddlebags could work

... tossing around a few ideas .... I need/want some luggage options, our younger daughter (13) rides with me, touring/day trips/holidays, I can't put everything on wife's Virago, even though she's got an empty pillion seat and ex-BMW cruiser panniers .... ample room to stow all our luggage .... ha!
Dabbled a bit with leather carving before, shouldn't be so hard to make a comfortable saddle/seat for two which slots right into the brackets. Leather could be dark tan or bleached or black ..... or I could make moulds from carbon fibre to simply clip-on. Shape needs some tweaking though ..... any better ideas anyone?

Attachments

#31 ·
I'm not very good at Photoshop, but here is what I came up with by taking the system case from an R1200R and pasting it onto the nineT. The bag would probably need to be moved further back to give the passenger foot peg more room (or move the peg forward).

click to enlarge

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Fuel tank

#33 ·
I'm not very good at Photoshop, but here is what I came up with by taking the system case from an R1200R and pasting it onto the nineT. The bag would probably need to be moved further back to give the passenger foot peg more room (or move the peg forward).

click to enlarge

View attachment 729
Oh yes just the roll bag for me :D stay lite stay agile ,wash my clothes along the way when on tour :D
You wouldn't put a sidecar on a chopper, or would you :rolleyes::D:D:D

#43 ·
I quite some of the "Bags Connection" soft luggage (Google it) for the R1200R if I'm riding distance - solo.
-
I save (in many ways) by consigning my pillion on a plane and meeting her at the destination from where we can do our day rides.

Win - win

Reactions: tracteur
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.