BMW NineT Forum banner
221 - 240 of 3,948 Posts
Wanna save some big weight? Put in an Ohlins 650 shock! About 1/2 the weight of the stock shock!! I replaced the flapper valve/servo also. They weight 5.5lbs! Replacement pipe & servo buddy add about.1/2 lb.Next will be my rear peg subframe!!
Removing the rear peg subframe makes it so much easier to clean! I just taped up the servo plug and cable tied it out of sight! No error messages!

Removed the exhaust flap servo motor thing. Knew nothing about this when I acquired the bike, so thanks to this forum for the information. Easy job the fiddliest part was separating the motor from the harness.
Auto part Vehicle Car

Surprised how heavy it was and how much cleaner the bike now looks without it. :cool:

Auto part Automotive exhaust Vehicle Exhaust system Car

I did a few things today. I installed this:

Anybody know what it is?
Here it is installed.

It's a plastic shield, sort of a mini skid plate, for the final drive. The HP2 had this and I have installed it on my 07 and 15 GSA's over the years. It fit better on the 07 since there wasn't a final drive drain on the bottom of the final drive in those days. Based on the gouges and scratches on this piece on my 07, I'm going to go ahead and say it has a purpose.

Part numbers are

33 11 7 696 032 - axle guard
33 11 7 696 033. - fastening elements
46 63 7 692 960 - M6 x 20 with Loc-Tite

Years ago there was a promo for Continental Tires where you got a tank bag and some Conti shwag when you bought a set of TKC70's . I've had the bag sitting in my garage for years since all my bikes already had tank bags at the time, but I dragged it out of retirement and mounted it on the Urban. I prefer bags that mount directly to the gas ring, and I may update this at a later date but for now it works. It's a nice Nelson-Rigg bag, and has a really cool recessed mesh area under the map pocket that will fit a standard Zumo GPS quite nicely.

Then I installed my SW-Motech SLC side case adapters and the Urban ABS Side cases. Here it is with just the mounts.

.... and with the bags.

I bought these almost new, site unseen. They look pretty big on the bike, but they are smaller than I was hoping for. I doubt I could get a helmet in one. The other thing is that in order to make the bags fit without having to relocate the turn signals, the bags are a little farther forward than I would have hoped for. I'm on the larger side for this bike, and by hips/butt cheeks brush up against the inside corners of the bags. I doubt a passenger larger than a 10 year old would fit.

Still, they were half the price of new and give me some carrying capacity. I can live with it until I have the time and money to make a set of full size hard panniers fit.

Last item for the day was an old set of PIAA lights I've had for years. They were on my original 1980 R80 g/s, spent some time on a DR650, and then got moved to a TW200 for a while. I've gotten my moneys worth out of them.

They aren't wired up yet, as I am looking into an alternative switch. They also aren't quite level since the crash bars are at an angle. I can change the way they are mounted to make them more level and probably will when I wire them up.

I've still got a few more things to do, and will post them up when I get them done.

Installed the Barkbuster Storm in white today. I've always been a fan of the Barkbuster hand guards, and have spoken highly of them in the past, but the little inserts they provided as a split collar friction piece to attach the ends was incredibly frustrating to use. Usually there is some flex in these pieces, and as you tighten they expand, but these felt like they were hardened steel. I broke an allen wrench trying to get them to tighten down. The sad part is that the inside of the bars is threaded from the factory. I would have though a plastic threaded insert would have done a cleaner job. As it is now, I chewed up the inside of the bar end trying to get the split collar to be small enough to fit in the end, but large enough to not spin.

I'm going to look for a threaded insert, or a set of the 45 degree offset nuts that work very well.

‘Today’ was yesterday.

Made some adjustments to the front forks: raised oil level and eased preload on the Racetech emulators. Then went for a ride to see how the forks felt. They are now, for me, close to perfect

This sunset view makes getting on the bike for a quick spin even easier. About 21 miles from my house...

I took the GL side bag off, and finagled a tool tube on in its place.
It’s been sitting in the garage for months, and I didn’t like the looks of it, until last night when I got a little garage time. Amazing the amount of stuff it can carry, and I can load it according to the type of trip.
Debating do I mount another on the exhaust side, but right now I’m liking the looks of just one.

New gadget mounted. Oil temperature gauge. This currently shows the temperature of the oil in the sump.

I like the (assumed) tyre-pressure fitment, dx. Would you care to tell us about it. I recall reading here that they MUST be fitted to steel tyre-valve stems - correct? And a link to the vendor would also help if you can. TIA...

I like the (assumed) tyre-pressure fitment, dx. Would you care to tell us about it. I recall reading here that they MUST be fitted to steel tyre-valve stems - correct? And a link to the vendor would also help if you can. TIA...
Hi Lawrence of Suburbia, I posted this before. Here’s the link:

New gadget mounted. Oil temperature gauge. This currently shows the temperature of the oil in the sump.
Could I possibly ask that you create a new topic in the Engine and Technical Discussion section and detail the oil temp gauge and how you went about fitting it? I'm sure this would be of interest to us, and certainly something I'd consider doing.

221 - 240 of 3,948 Posts