BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
2481 - 2500 of 2570 Posts

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,199 Posts
Sitting at Bob’s having the 12k service done. I guess one service per year isn’t too bad although 12k is more than 6k.

They couldn’t finish before they closed so they gave me a loaner.

Nice enough I suppose but man GS’s or I guess adventure bikes in general are ugly.
I thought adventure-style bikes were pretty ugly for a few years, but I think most look okay now. Either they actually do look better now or I've just gotten used to the looks, especially since there are so many of them around.

I test rode a new F750GS when I was bike shopping in 2020, before I decided on my R9T Pure. I've considered buying a used one, adding a set of Vario hardbags, and using the bike as a dedicated sport-tourer. It doesn't have the most inspiring engine, but it's not terrible either, especially for solo sport-touring use.

·
Registered
2017 R9T Classic
229 Posts
I thought adventure-style bikes were pretty ugly for a few years, but I think most look okay now. Either they actually do look better now or I've just gotten used to the looks, especially since there are so many of them around.

I test rode a new F750GS when I was bike shopping in 2020, before I decided on my R9T Pure. I've considered buying a used one, adding a set of Vario hardbags, and using the bike as a dedicated sport-tourer. It doesn't have the most inspiring engine, but it's not terrible either, especially for solo sport-touring use.
For me I think it's mostly the beak. I rode the GS for an hour or two on Sunday and I can see the appeal. Very relaxed rider triangle, comfortable seat and suspension in Ride mode, cruise control (although I couldn't get it to work) quick shifter, and really easy to stand up on to get a bit of a stretch. If I did lots of trips and touring a road focused ADV would be a good option.

I sometimes go to my garage and just look at my R9T, especially now with the fairing and belly pan. I can't imagine doing that with a GS, it's like a hammer or screw driver to me it's a tool for a job.

The R9T racer, Thruxton RS, Superveloce, Street Fighter V4, Panigale V4 and R1 are some of the best looking modern bikes on the road today IMO.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R NineT Scrambler
257 Posts
Just so happens I am getting ready to embark on a 1,000-mile (1600km) round trip to help out a buddy. Although Bean is no stranger to the long haul I thought since my brother is off to Albania riding for Team USA in the BMW GS Trophy I would borrow one of his daily rides for the trip.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Fuel tank
That is Bean, the good-looking one in red, the daily driver and the 200,000-mile (322,000km) GSA that I will be riding, the backup GS, and my son and his GSA on the end. What you don't see are the other two motorcycles and one bike in the garage (sorry too messy to show). I guess I have my bases covered here, good-looking, fun, awesome RNine, and long-distance practicality GSA/GS.

Sometimes life is good, especially when you have choices.

Kind regards,
~Bean

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,127 Posts
How cool is that, to race at the GS Trophy in Albania! We need to see some footage soon. Your line-up looks fantastic!
Just make sure that GS doesn’t spoil you😉

·
Registered
257 Posts
How cool is that, to race at the GS Trophy in Albania! We need to see some footage soon. Your line-up looks fantastic!
Spoil, they have been telling me I spoiled a long time ago... I guess that is what happens when you are past the expiration date. 😆 However, Bean has been too good to me and she is the one guilty of spoiling me, but in a good way.

I guess they are having a blast in Albania, my brother was saying he was sure they would be number one, then he got there and saw the competition, AMAZING to say the least. This is truly a world-class adventure and I am completely blown away by the sheer number of bikes and people competing. Int. GS Trophy 2022

That said, I don't think I will be trying it out next year, too much work, and I enjoy being a lookie-loo which means I go much slower... That is why my tagline says what it says, "Ride hard but be chill, ride fast but enjoy the scenery, don't fall down except when you are laughing".
Wheel Tire Plant Fuel tank Vehicle
Kind regards,
~Bean

·
Registered
2017 R9T Classic
229 Posts
Picked up my bike from the dealer yesterday and was having some trouble mounting my right side bag. Jammed it on well enough but knew I'd have to look at it when I got home. Seems the technician must have had to remove the seat support bracket and didn't install the side bag bracket correctly. Seeing as he could have just looked at the other side bag bracket for reference... Oh well it's an easy enough fix (bracket goes on 2nd, seat support 1st and they had it reversed).

Perhaps it's just familiarity but I was so happy to be back on the R9T instead of the GS.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Today I created new storage space under my tank.
The $$$ oem BMW alarm broke and moved to the bin. (motion sensor fails)
The by-pass battery cable went with it and the battery is now directly connected.
Nice clearance.
Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Automotive tire Hood

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Automotive exterior

Cable Electric blue Wrist Wire Fashion accessory

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Wheel

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT - 2015 RNineT
331 Posts
My 2015 has the “bypass cables” but does not have the alarm, I think it is supposed to be there. You may want to dig it out of the bin and keep it just in case…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
It's there for the jump start function.
I have previously moved this to the starter motor:

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,199 Posts
Finally put her back together and got her off the stand. I was doing maintenance, basically not a drop of fluid on the bike is original anymore and the valve clearances checked out okay. Thought I’d share for shits and giggles.
Nicely done! I'm always impressed with the ingenuity of how some people get their bikes off the ground for maintenance and repairs. 👍

For my 'What did you do today..." post, all I've done is ride. But I've commuted on the bike daily the whole week, and done some additional riding after work each evening. I haven't been in my car since Sunday, and it feels pretty good!

By the way, since I'm already covering multiple things here -- and I know this is off-topic -- I'd like to express my condolences to our friends in the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth on the passing of Queen Elizabeth II.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
3,024 Posts
Checked the valve clearances (using Marks Motorcycle Parts video) yesterday, as part of my DIY 12k mile service (which will probably take all week. All valves were in spec.

My bike was running slightly rough during last weekends ride, so I'm hoping the service will address this.

Today, I'll put in Iridium spark plugs based on the information provided by @Juice here .

Later in the week, I'll be syncing the throttle bodies using a video from The BMW Guy found here.

·
Registered
2018 Urban G/S
294 Posts
Put on 244mi/390km riding out to Tulelake California. Once the site of a concentration camp for Japanese Americans during WWII, there's nothing much there at all anymore except a particularly good Mexican restaurant. I try to stop in there for lunch once each summer. It's the ride, not the destination. Didn't take any pictures because the forest fire smoke ruined the views.

Saw my first R9T in the wild. Stopped at a gas station to fill up, was nearly done when I heard a familiar sound approaching. Sure enough another R9T! Took it as a good sign.

·
Registered
257 Posts
This is for my friend Norbi... Spoiled...HA, I just wanted to give you a little follow-up on both my 1050-mile trip, (1689 km) and Albania. The good, the bad, and the downright ugly.

So let's get the bad out of the way first. I mentioned that whilst my bro was off to Albania riding for Team BMW USA I had use of his GSA and needed to go help a friend 500+ miles, (804km) away. I love my Bean, however, as this was a mercy mission and I had the chance I wanted to see what gobbling up the miles on a road pillow (the GSA) would be like. Well until it broke down in the middle of a desert, it is pretty nice, then it isn't...😨 I could write a book on this, however, I will just post the details. I had been comfortably trolling along for about 5 hours on cruise control
Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Cloud
when suddenly the bike flashed an ominous warning all over the TFT that said basically you are screwed and idle is all you will get for the next 130 miles, (209km). Yup I was now on the side of the road with an almost dead 800 lbs (308kg) ride, in the middle of the bloody desert and it is 117 degrees (47c) and I am off to the side of the road. So let's add some insult to injury here, in Nevada the shoulder is dirt and gravel, however, when it does rain it will look nice and hard, IT ISN'T. I pull off to get clear and safe then sink up to my rims in soft sand. The cars and BIG trucks flying by at supersonic speeds and there I sit, boiling and stuck with a brute of a motorcycle that will not run over an idle. Now I'm thinking how life really sucks, the vultures will be picking my bones in short order and I still must be at my destination by very early the next morning for a surgery appointment.
Sky Cloud Road surface Natural landscape Asphalt
Okay not to drag this out, a state trooper pulls up behind me and asks if I am okay. NO damn it, I'm not...that was my inside voice screaming, however, I politely replied I was in a bit of a tight spot would you be so kind as to give me a shove out of the sand because my ride was not up to snuff. He helps with a shove, thank you state trooper, and I am off, sort of. The bike is now in limp mode which means I can only rev to about 1800rpm and that means the top speed is around 11 mph, (17kph). This is just enough speed to keep me wobbling down the side of the road without falling over.

Once again to make a very long story short, (too late), I have gone just under 500 miles, (800km), in roughly 5 hours and now the last 130 miles will take me just over 8.5 hours. Yes, logistics, a time budget, and circumstances all ganged up on me to make the fateful decision to limp my way to my final destination. Not much fun and remember the temp is hovering between 109 and 117 degrees and I have no wind cooling me down because I'm only able to go BLOODY 7mph...😒 Glad I had lots of sunscreen and spare water.

Oh and one more thing, sure why not kick a man when he is down...
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Wood Grey
Yes, that is a big ole nail in my tire, but I did make it to where I was going. I did get my friend to his surgery on time and I did get things fixed and rode back home without any drama. Well, almost any drama. A huge storm chased me the whole way but I made it without getting too terribly wet.
Cloud Sky Atmosphere Plant Natural landscape
Cloud Sky Natural landscape Plant Road surface
All in all a very memorable trip, pretty in some places, miserable in others.
Water Cloud Sky Water resources Atmosphere
Cloud Sky Plant Road surface Asphalt
So the moral of this story is, don't worry I'm not spoiled, Bean has never let me down.

And Albania, bro's team pulled a 5th place overall, not bad for a small-town kid from California.

Kind regards,
~Bean

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,127 Posts
That’s one awesome adventure!!! So glad the GSA didn’t disappoint😂 Fabulous pics again, MrBean!
But why the limp mode?

PS I’ve had that same nail in my car tire several times through West Texas. That really sucks. Glad you’re ok!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had a proper test run today with the Healtech Quickshifter, it took quite a bit of editing settings, riding, tweaking, riding, etc before I felt it was shifting correctly.

Now I can upshift smoothly to every gear in low/med and high rpms. If people are interested I can share the settings of the Healtech app.
Hi, I'd be really grateful if you could share the settings with me please as I'm just about to install the Quickshifter.
Thanks
Darran

·
Registered
257 Posts
That’s one awesome adventure!!! So glad the GSA didn’t disappoint😂 Fabulous pics again, MrBean!
But why the limp mode?

PS I’ve had that same nail in my car tire several times through West Texas. That really sucks. Glad you’re ok!!!
Norbi,
Evidently BMW in their infinite wisdom, which actually makes a bit of sense, when you get certain engine failures the onboard computer will let you continue to run the motor albeit in a cripple mode so that you can get to safety. Just a week before I was on Bean riding with my friend Matt the Marvelous and his GSA came up with similar problems and error codes. On his ride, the same year much less mileage, it turned out to be an intermittent cam sensor problem which is non-critical and after a quick reset, it didn't stay in limp mode, whereas the issue I had turned out to be a bad connection at the throttle. Of course, being fly by wire means idle is all you get. I didn't know this at the time which meant I idled along for hours on the side of the road the upside being that it was an easy fix.

As for the tire, a plug, a pump, (I carry a small electric), and 10 minutes then we are all better and blasting down the road again. Don't leave home without it... ;)

~Bean

Reactions: TimC
2481 - 2500 of 2570 Posts