BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
2521 - 2540 of 2570 Posts

·
Registered
22 Cosmic Scrambler (K23)
163 Posts
It was my friend's birthday today so we went for a ride.

What an absolutely lovely machine. Though I am now unsure of the Unit Garage seat's ability to long ride.

Maybe more time in the saddle is needed. Admittedly I haven't done a long multi-hour canyon to canyon ride in a while. Lovely, lovely, lovely machine.
Wheel Tire Sky Mountain Vehicle

·
Registered
2017 R9T Classic
229 Posts
Got to see the 719 rear sets on a few bikes today and will pick up the Gilles black versions I think. With a GBP being down so much against the USD it’s a good time to buy.

I was hoping to see the Wunderlich rider seat but none of the bikes had it.

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
432 Posts
Pay attention to the bolt length!

I'm not sure if here or in an Italian forum, somebody who bought a cheap kit, had put the wrong bolt into the wrong place and cracked the engine case.

also anyone know the size of this bolt hole next to the O2 sensors? I bought some guards but no screws.
View attachment 158204

Edit: I forgot I have the shop manual so it's probably in there, guessing an M10.

• Helpful
Reactions: Norbi

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,199 Posts
I added some hand guards to help keep my hands warmer this fall. Along with my heated grips, they should help me ride deep into the fall. And these still allow me to have my bar end mirrors!

Ali Express $18.00
I've been thinking of getting a set of cheap-ish hard guards, too. Heated grips are great, but the fronts of my fingers still get cold. Thanks for the tip about the online shop!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
3,024 Posts
I've been thinking of getting a set of cheap-ish hard guards, too. Heated grips are great, but the fronts of my fingers still get cold. Thanks for the tip about the online shop!
@TimC - here is the Ali Express link.

I will say, that there were no installation instructions, but I made them work my own way. There's a stabilizing outrigger which I mounted the my OEM mirror mounting point, which has been turned upside down.

Hood Automotive tire Bicycle tire Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2017 R9T Classic
229 Posts
Pay attention to the bolt length!

I'm not sure if here or in an Italian forum, somebody who bought a cheap kit, had put the wrong bolt into the wrong place and cracked the engine case.
I installed an M10-1.5 30mm and it seems ok. I snugged it down by hand just until it was tight.

The handguards I picked up require the same bolt for the mirror stalk (will be running these this fall/winter). I had to order some black oxide ones online as the Depot doesn't carry a lot of metric bolts above M8.

I ended up ordering the Gilles Tooling rear sets, Wunderlich seat (direct replacement of the rider's seat) and a Wunderlich handle bar bag. Loving this almost 1 to 1 USD/GBP conversion rate.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R NineT Scrambler
257 Posts
Hey TimC,

If you want to keep your hands warm here is the way to go. I just randomly picked these out because they were the heated version. They are a bit pricy but if you do a quick search you can find bar muffs, as I call them, in a wide range of styles and price ranges. I know for a fact that they work really well if you don't mind that they look a bit dorky...🤪
Sports equipment Light Product Sports gear Musical instrument
Just sayin...
Kind regards,
Bean

·
Registered
2017 R9T Classic
229 Posts
Hey TimC,

If you want to keep your hands warm here is the way to go. I just randomly picked these out because they were the heated version. They are a bit pricy but if you do a quick search you can find bar muffs, as I call them, in a wide range of styles and price ranges. I know for a fact that they work really well if you don't mind that they look a bit dorky...🤪
Just sayin...
Kind regards,
Bean
I thought about getting these last year but then realized it wouldn't work with my bar end mirrors. Going to add largish handguards this winter to my winter glove/heated grip setup and see how it goes.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R NineT Scrambler
257 Posts
These specific handguards do work with bar end mirrors.

See my post #2525 above.
Generic, adjusting them with pair of scissors and you're good to go, mirrors or not... although Dauphinais is correct you just need to sort out which ones work best for you.

Bean

Reactions: Dauphinais

·
Registered
2019 Scrambler Option 719, 2013 K1600GTL,
10 Posts
Generic, adjusting them with pair of scissors and you're good to go, mirrors or not... although Dauphinais is correct you just need to sort out which ones work best for you.
Bean
I'm totally on board with the "bar muffs" I use a pair on my other bike. Kolpin mitts They did take some modding, but they seal tight. Non insulated gloves with the heated grips and I've ridden into single-digit winters, wet and snowing, no problems. I can still access all the controls. On my R9T though, I think I'll get handguards primarily for protection, and in the winter, reinstall stock mirrors, and use the bar muffs. I'm a fan of bar end mirrors but for warmth in serious cold, muffs are the bomb. Generic, your winters are wet and cold there. I'm definitely way too wimpy to try and get by with handguards and gloves in that climate. Waterproof gloves will still let the cold through after a bit.

·
Registered
2017 R9T Classic
229 Posts
If it’s below freezing I drive especially if there is any chance or precipitation. WP gloves with liners and heated grips do pretty good and guards can’t hurt especially since I already bought them.

2521 - 2540 of 2570 Posts