BMW NineT Forum banner

261 - 269 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
R9T scrambler 2020
103 Posts
Thank you. I hope they last a long. CNC machined and powder coated aluminum. I used some threadlocker for safety

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Classic 2020
14 Posts
First set of modifications as follows. Added a few thoughts on pros (+) and cons (-) for each, noting there is already a wealth of knowledge on the forum about these for those interested. Happy for PMs if anyone would like a more detailed review.

Option 719 Storm Rear Sets and Pillion Pegs
(+) Both the rearsets AND pillion pegs match (good for people with OCD like me; surprisingly difficult to find matching pairs on other bikes I have owned e.g. R1200R)
(+) Adjustability on the rearsets is great for both height and reach without detriment to comfort (other systems I have had can be adjusted but had bits that tend to catch your foot at times)
(+) Quality of machining is superb across all the components (can’t comment on durability just yet as they are still relatively new)
(-) Expensive! Not that easy to find on eBay. May be available directly from Gilles Tooling but haven’t looked.

BMW Sat Nav Cradle
(+) Physical buttons for zooming in/out and other functions make the unit much easier to use compared to using touchscreen only
(+) Position of the cradle does not get in the way of the clocks, however it can slightly impede access to the key for those who are somewhat clumsy (yes, that would be me)
(-) Cradle does not pick up bike information like oil temperature, mileage, etc. which seems ridiculous given the price (I believe this can be resolved buy changing the cradle for a newer model, but then you loose the physical buttons)
(-) Cradle does not come with a lock (again, why?!?!?!)
(-) I really miss the ’wonderwheel’ on the left hand side grip I had on my R1200R LC to operate the Sat Nav; shame this cannot be retrofitted as an option (or can it...?)

Low Mounted Akrapovic HP Pipe
(+) Looks and sounds amazing with bonus of a cleaner view of rear wheel (but I have always been a sucker for the Akra pipes and have had them on all the BMWs I‘ve owned)
(+) You can keep the pillion subframe whereas this is removed with the high mounted Akrapovic HP pipe (suppose this could be down to preference)
(-) Sound is better but not revolutionary; does bring into question the cost vs. benefit given the original pipes sound very good as stock option.

Next step of mods currently planned for 2020 as follows:-
  • Option 719 Storm Levers to match rearsets and pillion pegs
  • Heated grips (once you get these you’ll never go back :LOL:)
  • Mirrors (to be decided but currently looking at HP Mirrors from R1250GS) - see below

And then in 2021 I’ll probably look to attack the suspension with Ohlins (rear definitely, front maybe) and change her shoes with Michelin Pilot Road 5s if I can get the mileage up.

Happy riding.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Noice! But does your R9T not have an engine-temp display (presumably same or similar function as oil-temp display - mine does), and/ or heated grips (mine does). I did not realise that these may appear on some models yet not on others... I have much to learn about this tribe! Thumbs-up to OHLINS rear shock, and to PR5s.

Best..

LoS

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Classic 2020
14 Posts
Noice! But does your R9T not have an engine-temp display (presumably same or similar function as oil-temp display - mine does), and/ or heated grips (mine does). I did not realise that these may appear on some models yet not on others... I have much to learn about this tribe! Thumbs-up to OHLINS rear shock, and to PR5s.

Best..

LoS
Hi there Los. Yes, the clocks have the engine-temp display, odometer, trip meters, etc however the Nav 5 cradle does not pick up this information like it has done on my previous R1200R. There are a few threads in the forum that explain that only certain versions of the BMW cradle can do this. It is not a deal breaker, just a shame given that its handy to have the information available on the Sat Nav as well as the clocks so you can have more options on what to display. First world ‘problems’ really...

Heated grips is standard on the sport model I believe, but otherwise optional here in the UK. Other countries might be different; maybe one day it’ll be a standard item like ABS. Picking up that R NineT parts catalogue can be hazardous to your health (or at least your wallet!).

Oh ye sunshine please do come out today so I can be with my sweet Freyja (i.e. R NineT)

·
Registered
2018 R Nine T Racer
157 Posts
Got caught in an unexpected rain shower in Germany today so had to wash the bike when I got home

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
R1200R (2013)
39 Posts
Added a protective (purely aestethic, I know) grille on the air intake (Wunderlich, gone crazy to fix it...)

And mounted the SP-Connect Phone holder on the handlebar, the mounting makes the phone perfectly central in landscape mode.

Next to come:

• Sidestand extended base (Wunderlich)
  • Engine protection bars (Hepco & Becker)
  • Handlebar 2cm risers (Wunderlich)
  • Grip Puppies

Reactions: Dauphinais
261 - 269 of 269 Posts