BMW NineT Forum banner

281 - 296 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
2018 R Nine T Racer
166 Posts
That’s just......so big

There’s talk for some time to introduce something similar like your MOT over here. Hope it stays with talking

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
49 Posts
🤣 that plate is so big it generates lift!
It may also generate drag, based on the inclination... 🙃 Oh well we all have our regulators inconveniences....

Reactions: BaldyDave

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rode down to the coast at Hill Head in Hampshire with my step daughter after selling her my old Bonneville. A bit warm though!
20200808_100332-01.jpeg

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
49 Posts
Love the Bonnie... got it stolen after 8 years of proud ownership... :love:

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
49 Posts
That was some time ago... other 7 years of R1200R and now Ninet UGS...

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
49 Posts
Few other bits added on my UGS...

Sidestand extended plate (Wunderlich):

And the 2cm (Wunderlich) risers. I had mounted them yesterday and coming back home from the house of a friend who helped me to put them on, I found that the handlebar rotation was not ok for me (too vertical), especially when reaching the clutch handle. So today I rotated it slightly back to fit better my driving position. Will test it tomorrow.

Now I only miss the crash bars, that I will put on in a couple of weeks (need support for tools and friend's presence to help) ;-)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Got my bike MOT'd! For those that don't live in the UK this is an annual roadworthiness government test that all bikes have to undergo once they are over 3 years old. Had to put on the HUUUGE number plate and stick a small red reflector to it to get the bike fully road-legal. Needless to say the number plate somehow got replaced with something a little smaller when I got home .... (whistles innocently....).

Witness the hideousness that is the standard number plate size in the UK!

View attachment 134653

You can see the small red stick-on reflector - top right of the number plate....
Errr......that reflector isn't MOT legal Baldster!

Strictly speaking, to comply with the MOT regs it has to be fitted through the vertical centreline of the bike (underneath the T), not off to one side. A reflector that isn't fitted centrally is a 'Reason for Failure'.

I doubt you give two hoots though, hehe, as long as you got a Pass Certificate.....did the tester pick up on it, and overlook it?

My MOT was due on the 3rd of August, but I haven't bothered getting it done, and doubt I will this year. I usually tax the R9 for the six summer months only (April - September), but due to covid restrictions I didn't do that. When the travel restrictions were lifted here in Wales it didn't then make sense to tax it for only one and a half months use, so I didn't. Now the MOT has expired too.

I have other bikes to ride that were already taxed and MOT'd before the covid lockdown happened, so the boxer hasn't/isn't going to turn a wheel this year. I plan on MOT and taxing it next March/April now.

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
85 Posts
Got my bike MOT'd! For those that don't live in the UK this is an annual roadworthiness government test that all bikes have to undergo once they are over 3 years old. Had to put on the HUUUGE number plate and stick a small red reflector to it to get the bike fully road-legal. Needless to say the number plate somehow got replaced with something a little smaller when I got home .... (whistles innocently....).

Witness the hideousness that is the standard number plate size in the UK!

View attachment 134653

You can see the small red stick-on reflector - top right of the number plate....
Man, that’s a full turkey-size oven rack. If MotoGP had one of those, they‘d take off! Jeeez...

·
Administrator
11,369 Posts
Strictly speaking, to comply with the MOT regs it has to be fitted through the vertical centreline of the bike (underneath the T), not off to one side. A reflector that isn't fitted centrally is a 'Reason for Failure'.

I doubt you give two hoots though, hehe, as long as you got a Pass Certificate.....did the tester pick up on it, and overlook it?
All I know is that I got a MOT certificate.... :)

Seriously though, the reflector was actually tagged to the bottom of the plate under the "T" using an improvised "bracket" (involving double-sided tape) when the bike got tested but it fell off on the way home home (surprised me as it seemed very solidly stuck) and I just stuck a replacement reflector where you see it on the photo ( I had bought a couple). I didn't know about the central positioning being critical so thanks for the heads-up. It was a friend that just told me to stick it where it was for the MOT but I reckoned the new position would do for next year. I'll fab something better over the winter for next year's MOT!

There's a slightly smaller plate that I normally run with on the bike now. It isn't strictly legal either, however it isn't totally taking the mickey and the numbers are very readable and I haven't been pulled over as yet, whereas I know of folk with a 6 x 4 inch plates that have been stopped by the police... I run a 7x5 plate with the correct BS stamp etc and clear lettering. So far so good!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Today I backed off my wilbers shock factory preload 2 turns. Fork preload 8 flats from soft. Compression damper on #5 & rebound on #4. I weigh 187lb with gear. Try it &tell me what you think.

281 - 296 of 296 Posts