BMW NineT Forum banner

381 - 400 of 418 Posts

·
Registered
2019 BMW R NineT (Classic)
103 Posts
Well today I tried for the first time vinyl wrapping.

Never had a previous experience so i watched a few videos before attempting anything.

My first try was ok with some imperfections as expected.

Forgot to mention that I was working on my aluminum windshield.

Total gloss black was the first try. After leaving it on for a some hours I decided to go a different way.

Second try then and much more pleased than the first one.

Not from the perspective of style but mainly because I managed to wrap it with finesses I think .

Not really a fan of vinyl wrapping ( there is nothing like a proper paint job ) but gives you a very good idea and I was amazed from the quality of the vinyl. I went with 3M. I don’t know maybe there are better brands out there but I surely get it why so many people go this way instead of perm painting.

Later on I am going to try to do the hump as well..

A photo with the two sides to show you how I finished the wrapping in the back.

Some photos with the windshield attached to the bike.

what do you guys think ?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
1,351 Posts

Never had a previous experience so i watched a few videos before attempting anything.

Total gloss black was the first try. After leaving it on for a some hours I decided to go a different way.

Not from the perspective of style but mainly because I managed to wrap it with finesses I think .

Not really a fan of vinyl wrapping ( there is nothing like a proper paint job ) but gives you a very good idea and I was amazed from the quality of the vinyl. I went with 3M. I don’t know maybe there are better brands out there but I surely get it why so many people go this way instead of perm painting.

View attachment 136555

View attachment 136556

what do you guys think ?
I think it looks great!

·
Premium Member
223 Posts

View attachment 136555

View attachment 136556

what do you guys think ?
Hard to beat 3M, I think, for anything involving tape or film.

Looks great!

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
154 Posts
I keep trying to not think about that windscreen. But I have a habit of riding at a speed that makes it very tempting. Let us know what you think.
(We were talking about the Wunderlich screen)...
So I had the chance to run a very easy going 150km in a very pleasant and warm autumn day. I'm very satisfied. Bearing in mind that it is anyway just a little help, it doesn't take away all the air from the helmet, but I felt it effectlvely reduced a little bit flow and pressure. I'm kind of short, and probably this helps, I also tried to get to a decent speed and bend down to the tank and in this way I could feel much less air (even if the position can't be held for long). I'm keeping it on. I like it aestethically and I pretend it to be effective enough. I was going around with a friend with a brand new 1250 GSA... well, that's slightly more effective in protection, I must say 🙃

Side comment: the screen is very solid and doesn't vibrate much, what vibrates a lot is the lamp cowl, I didn't realise it vibrated so much. I wonder whether it's an aerodynamic effect or if it always did so. I'm thinking of putting some very soft foam between the two... the screen came with four small transparent rubber distancers, but they are more to avoid scratching the screen with the cowl, rather than doing anything for vibrations.

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
98 Posts
Thanks @Dauphinais ...

I did the rear as well. It doesn’t show on the photos but it has some flaws. I will have to redo it until I will decide to send the bike to guys who will paint it.

View attachment 136566
I don't have the front screen but do have the hump and am thinking about doing the opposite to what you have, ie, black stripe down the middle of the hump. I think it would be more in line with the tank, alu sides, black centre.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't have the front screen but do have the hump and am thinking about doing the opposite to what you have, ie, black stripe down the middle of the hump. I think it would be more in line with the tank, alu sides, black centre.
Definitely it will be more in line in the way you put it.
But you can do it the way I did it as well but also add a silver line in the middle of the tank. Food for thought only.

Well in my case I am going to paint the bike (fairing, tank and hump black ) so this is more of toying around and experimenting things I have been thinking for a long time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
@CerealOwner thank you my friend !

@Dauphinais, glad you like it.

Yesterday i took the vinyl from the hump. The small imperfections was not something i can tolerate.

So i re wrapped it and this time it came almost flawless (just one small tiny that i guess only me who knows it can see it).

This time i am keeping it as it is until i will visit the appropriate guy for the paint job.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
R9T Scrambler 2020
116 Posts
I did it in the end. After changing two led light bulbs (because suddenly an error appeared on the display and this annoyed me so much...) I decided to buy a ledperf headlight (type 3). A little laboured installation. It was necessary to add a resistance (which was not in the packaging) but with the help of my mechanic we managed to put it under the tank in order not to show it. The result is quite remarkable, and of course I no longer have any error on the dashboard. Very satisfied with the purchase. Great improvement

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey all!

I have bought the AC Schnitzer belly pan since the early days of September.

I was thinking to try painting myself so yesterday I went and bought what I needed.

First of all a good cleaning and the filling some minor imperfections with two components putty for plastics.

after some minor sanding it was silk and smooth

primer time

after many layers of thin coats (I made a color in two spray cans which I believe it’s almost perfect match to the bmw color) I gave it three layers of 2K varnish.

Super satisfied with the result.

I left it since yesterday 24 hours so that the varnish will cure completely and in the next days I will try installing it.

Have a good weekend to all and happy rides.

e.f.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Swapped in Akra Ti headers (hat tip to Mikael) and played with the photo filters.

Ordered a vintage emblem, want better mirrors, and maybe those fancy oem air box covers. Almost finished!

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Finally decided to go with the Wunderlich orange solo seat to keep the OEM colors intact but now it clashes with my Giant Loop tank bag, which I really like for ease of refueling. Going to have to change out for another color as I think they clash too much.

·
Registered
28 Posts
D822B17E-1064-4F8A-A6D2-5DF61AA30CBF.jpeg
25DEDC41-2BC9-4795-899C-ED86BA91AA0F.jpeg
0042F594-BAF4-4018-80F1-2E302049DF49.jpeg
Today I did some tinkering. I love my classic but I have been keen to make a few cosmetic changes and to make it more comfortable. I am also completely taken by adventure bikes and the idea of some future adventures. So, over the past few weeks I have completed the following:

Stripped my seat and inserted a gel pad and recovered it in Unit Garage brown covers,

Changed the front mudguard to a cleaner aluminium one from Unit Garage,

Raised the handlebars with 20mm risers from Wunderlich,

Added a Rizoma handlebar brace and Unit Garage pad in the same brown as the seat,

I made my own air intake guard from stainless steel mesh,

I added an old BMW GS 1200 sump/engine guard from e-bay,

and finally, I changed out the stock badges with some tasty aluminium milled badges from Pier City Cycles here in the UK.

This is a great forum, great people and fantastic to see everyone else’s efforts to make their bike their own. Keep it up.
BFEA8657-83E8-4EBD-8359-6573C3A2F774.jpeg

604C48C3-C448-4168-95F9-7EA9EADE5D35.jpeg

E6C06439-1D5A-4185-9C74-844E1B4A72A2.jpeg

FEFD94A1-2C57-4172-B179-33CB39153A5A.jpeg

F1424F8F-67DA-4C90-A299-73D587085425.jpeg

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Classic 2020
89 Posts
381 - 400 of 418 Posts