BMW NineT Forum banner

461 - 480 of 533 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also didn’t like the lack of reflector on the Fancy Bike Thing tail tidy. Wunderlich do a nice little reflector that I trimmed a little, painted and then mounted on the underside of the number plate with 3M adhesive tape, with a number plate plastic screw for good measure

I don’t seem to be able to put more than one image in a post - here’s the underside

I will hang my head in shame at the dirt under there ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
The eagle eyed among you will spot the BMW LED indicators - whilst I love the FBT tail tidy I was uncomfortable with the indicator function not being road legal in the UK (not far apart enough). FBT supply some brackets to fit the stock indicators - but the problem with these is they are incompatible with the BMW panniers. I got the angle grinder out with a cutting disc and cut the ends off the FBT brackets, then welded them onto the FBT licence plate holder further back on the bike so that the panniers just fit in front of them. The other advantage is there is now only one bracket under the seat holding on both the licence/number plate holder and the indicators. Sorry, no photos of this when it was work in progress and difficult to see now its all back on the bike...

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
162 Posts
This is a pretty good idea. So far I managed not to break this but I feel I've been lucky so this is a good proactive idea. I do open the thing using the bike key as a lever which seems to be a good way of doing it.

When I look at German engineering, and being an engineer myself, I occasionally am in awe at their ingenuity but also sometimes I wonder who was the idiot that came up with certain solutions, such as this one. Another "who was the idiot?" moment was when I changed the battery and the air filter yesterday.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is a pretty good idea. So far I managed not to break this but I feel I've been lucky so this is a good proactive idea. I do open the thing using the bike key as a lever which seems to be a good way of doing it.

When I look at German engineering, and being an engineer myself, I occasionally am in awe at their ingenuity but also sometimes I wonder who was the idiot that came up with certain solutions, such as this one. Another "who was the idiot?" moment was when I changed the battery and the air filter yesterday.
I agree. There is so much I love about the bike and then I look at that awful bit of flimsy bent metal and think some actually designed that? And got paid for doing it!!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
this weekend past, my first ride since my accident last December, rode to Tauranga to visit my dying Mother in hospital and stayed at a mates place in Waihi on the way home, 530 Km round trip (330 Miles) I don't know how long my paranoias is going lo last? Two of us riding to Wellington in two weeks and planning a three bikes three week South Island tour for January!

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
410 Posts
this weekend past, my first ride since my accident last December, rode to Tauranga to visit my dying Mother in hospital and stayed at a mates place in Waihi on the way home, 530 Km round trip (330 Miles) I don't know how long my paranoias is going lo last? Two of us riding to Wellington in two weeks and planning a three bikes three week South Island tour for January!
Very sorry to hear about your mother. :(

As for paranoia on the bike, it will probably take some time. Everyone is different. I hit a deer (in broad daylight) a few months ago, though thankfully it was more of a glancing blow not a crash. Caused some damage to my old bike but I was fine. It freaked me out a little, but only for a few minutes, though the next 30-60 minutes of that ride were done at a more leisurely pace.

I've ridden 3,000+ miles since then, and I'm still riding rural roads often, and even riding a little at night. But I'm also a little bit more wary than I used to be. Not that I was ever not vigilant about looking out for deer, but now I'm even more alert, and often riding just a little slower through the countryside, too.

·
Administrator
11,779 Posts
Really sorry to hear about your mother @Rev Gee, I lost my mother earlier this year....

The first time a bike of mine was written-off by a myopic car driver I was battered and bruised (my R100RS was scrap) but as soon as I could I borrowed a mate's motorbike and rode the same road that I'd been in the accident - boy was I a pile of nerves but I got through it and in hindsight it was probably the best thing I could have done. The jitters did fade away over the next couple of months but we are all different. I know folk that jump on the bike the next day with hardly a thought and I know of others that never get on a bike again. We are all different and handle stressful moments in our own ways. Best wishes to you, mate! Hope you have a great bike adventure with your friends!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Had the bike three years and have completed lots of journeys in the dark and in bad weather. What’s the one thing that used to make my arse itch ? The poor headlight. Yet like the rest of us that spend most of their time riding in daylight it is one of the last things that you get to sorting out. However, I have a ‘big’ trip planned for next year (more to follow) so I have been making all of the required changes to meet my own brief. Swapped out the headlight bulb this evening for a great LED from LEDPERF in France. Hard to see the full effect in my shed but it is super bright and was an easy install. Took 30 minutes and that was it. Feel free
11B2E6F4-C17F-41C0-9138-01EB59570454.jpeg
C68D4A42-9E1C-4ED7-A33E-6765AAD5B784.jpeg
7647A799-DF56-41E0-8AA0-D3030BF165F0.jpeg
to fire me any questions you may have - I know that you also hate the original bulb !

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
196 Posts
Feel free fire me any questions you may have - I know that you also hate the original bulb !
Cool, looking forward to hearing your riding impressions!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Had the bike three years and have completed lots of journeys in the dark and in bad weather. What’s the one thing that used to make my arse itch ? The poor headlight. Yet like the rest of us that spend most of their time riding in daylight it is one of the last things that you get to sorting out. However, I have a ‘big’ trip planned for next year (more to follow) so I have been making all of the required changes to meet my own brief. Swapped out the headlight bulb this evening for a great LED from LEDPERF in France. Hard to see the full effect in my shed but it is super bright and was an easy install. Took 30 minutes and that was it. Feel free View attachment 137815 View attachment 137814 View attachment 137816 to fire me any questions you may have - I know that you also hate the original bulb !
Do you maybe have some photo's of the actual install? Looks like a great upgrade over the stock.
Any modifications that had to be done to the wiring harness; and was there enough space in the headlight for fitment?
Would this also work on an 2018 model R nine t?.. or would it start throwing fault codes?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do you maybe have some photo's of the actual install? Looks like a great upgrade over the stock.
Any modifications that had to be done to the wiring harness; and was there enough space in the headlight for fitment?
Would this also work on an 2018 model R nine t?.. or would it start throwing fault codes?
Reluctant to take the thing apart again to take photographs but rest assured it was pretty easy. It is a tighter squeeze to fit the larger bulb back into the headlight bowl but it does all fit together with patience. No changes to wiring needed as it was a simple plug and play. No fault codes showing on the dash.
- mine is a 2016.

461 - 480 of 533 Posts