BMW NineT Forum banner

881 - 900 of 905 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
672 Posts
I stuck a nail in my rear and waited 2 hours for recovery service.
More motivation to get a tubeless setup. Alpinas probably.

From earlier this week:

From this morning.
And to really top it off - it was a brand new rear !

UPDATE: Local mechanic just put a new tube in .. so new tyre was saved.

·
Registered
2017 Racer
11 Posts
Ironically, my RP slip on arrives today. Curious to hear what you think about the sound upgrade? Did you add the DB killer as well?
The sound is decent. I didn't go with a DB killer. After install, I just putted the bike around the neighborhood, didn't get it under load. Plus I've got maybe 30 minutes of ride time with the bike (just got it) so I'm not as familiar with the OEM note. It is louder, but it's not TOO loud.
I'm a bit spoiled as I'm comparing it to a Buell XB with a Drummer exhaust and valve delete. The Buell is definitely louder.
I would not consider the RP pipe to be too loud. It's pretty much just right as far as volume is concerned. Plus it looks great, opens up the rear of the bike on that side, exposes the wheel, etc. That was my biggest want out of a pipe, I knew sound and volume would come either way.
10/10 in my book. Would recommend!

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Classic 2020
199 Posts
Hi @Ian_H sorry to hear about this - what a nuisance! Do wish people would take more care cleaning up after themselves as this could have just as easily taken out a car or bicycle. So much litter by the roadside at present, especially as tips have been closed for a while. A few army snipers might solve this, however perhaps a tad extreme. Sorry, went off on a tangent there...

Given its been a topic of much conversation, how would you describe how your bike and tyre behaved when it punctured? Was it a rapid depressurisation, or more of a gradual deflation? Hope you don’t mind me asking, it may be of interest to those thinking of swapping to tubeless tyres.

Hope your day has not been too marred by this unfortunate event and wishing you many hours of puncture free riding.

Reactions: Ian_H

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
672 Posts
Hi @Ian_H
Given its been a topic of much conversation, how would you describe how your bike and tyre behaved when it punctured? Was it a rapid depressurisation, or more of a gradual deflation? Hope you don’t mind me asking, it may be of interest to those thinking of swapping to tubeless tyres.
I was doing about 30mph and first noticed a "thrubbing noise" which I thought might be grooves in the road surface - quick double check - no... not that. Heart sank slightly as second option in my mind was puncture.. looked down and could see rear tyre was looking very deflated. Found a safe spot to pull over and tyre was completely flat. I'd guess it went flat in 60-90 seconds.
First puncture.
Abandoned my ride with a mate obviously - thankfully we can re-schedule for tomorrow and I'll get out on my Multistrada instead, so all not lost.

·
Registered
2019 BMW R NineT (Classic)
223 Posts
I had the dealer that I bought my 2018 R NineT add the BMW windscreen in brushed aluminum before they delivered the bike last week. I like the design of that windscreen along with the brushed finish, but as my bike has the blue planet metallic paint I felt the windscreen needed a splash of color. My local body shop matched the color code and I had him paint the center to match the bike and leave the sides brushed aluminum.

Before:

View attachment 141689

After:

View attachment 141690

Probably would look better if I had taken the photo in the sunlight so the blue metallic pops, but you get the idea. BMW did not have a paint code for the gold stripes and we couldn't match exactly looking at different color pallets from paint manufacturers. I'm on the fence about adding the gold stripes. On one hand, the front fender is all blue with the silver on the forks which matches the pattern on the windscreen and leaves quite a bit of brushed aluminum exposed. On the other hand, the gold stripes would match the tank and rear seat cowl. Decisions, decisions...
Hey @ViperNC, nice way to go with the windshield. For me definitely go with the gold stripes as well. Already looking good but with those golden elegant lines to match along the the tank and the hump it will be much more better looking.
When I first got my aluminum windshield on my classic I found it too much “silver“ going on on the bike. I had a silver hump as well so in my case (if it helps you in anyway to decide about the striping on the windshield) I went for that way.

·
Registered
2018 R NineT - Blue Planet Metallic w/ 719 billet options
12 Posts
Hey @ViperNC, nice way to go with the windshield. For me definitely go with the gold stripes as well. Already looking good but with those golden elegant lines to match along the the tank and the hump it will be much more better looking.
When I first got my aluminum windshield on my classic I found it too much “silver“ going on on the bike. I had a silver hump as well so in my case (if it helps you in anyway to decide about the striping on the windshield) I went for that way.
/QUOTE]
Your bike looks sweet! Kind of regretting I didn't get the gold stripes done in the first place at this point, but hey.... its just money. 💸 Already pinged my guy to mix up the gold paint and try to match.

·
Registered
2017 R nine T Racer, 2009 Buell XB12 Scg
12 Posts
Applied rattle can paint on the OEM exhaust tip as it was a little corroded. I also began to NERF the bike for the wife.

·
Registered
2019 R NineT Cross wire spokes, Scrambler
40 Posts
Ciao Chris, Is the design on the fuel tank original or altered. Normally, I see a blue sticker in the “knee-pad” zone, and far less attractive stripes.

If altered, how was this so neatly done?

Ciao
DC

699D9FF1-892A-487B-838E-569ED6094A2A.png

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
332 Posts
I did it with 3M 4411N and Sika 291i and it works beautifully. Total cost of 30€ or so and keeps the OEM look 100% and I do like the wheels with those lovely black rims.

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
672 Posts
I did it with 3M 4411N and Sika 291i and it works beautifully. Total cost of 30€ or so and keeps the OEM look 100% and I do like the wheels with those lovely black rims.
I'm hopeless when it comes to anything like this. It would turn to sh!t very quickly. I can screw up the smallest of jobs. I'd predict some sort of failure starting with rear wheel removal.
If there was a service who provide this I would happily pay.
I agree I like OEM look so having these sealed would be ideal.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ciao Chris, Is the design on the fuel tank original or altered. Normally, I see a blue sticker in the “knee-pad” zone, and far less attractive stripes.

If altered, how was this so neatly done?

Ciao
DC

View attachment 141734
I think you mean me?

It's a sticker kit from signature costums.
The original blue "sticker" (which is under the clearcoat) is under the sticker.

The only thing i dislike about these stickers are the bubbles that form in the "dimples".

They sent me a new set for the sides (only had to pay shipping). On that set i am going to cut out the middle parts so the dimples are uncovered.
If you do not want this problem, order one of their kits that does not fully cover the side.

·
Registered
2019 R NineT Cross wire spokes, Scrambler
40 Posts
I'm hopeless when it comes to anything like this.
Ciao Ian... easy to learn task. First thing is look at yourself in the mirror and say "I can learn to do this". "I've done harder".

Watch this 2 minute video.

Buy the correct tools... exactly what you see this man use. They are inexpensive and they "work". Do not over complicate this. You do not need $50 looks or a kit from W... Use the correct "glue". you're local bicycle store sell a small tube of tire cement for a buck or three.

Think of the 'principle' behind "plugging'. You make the hole a bit rougher, a bit bigger. The 'cement' does two things. It lubricates the rubber plugging strip, making insertion far easier. The cement also fills tiny voids, blocking the air.

Watch the video again and go do it.

I think you will surprise yourself.

Ciao,
DC

·
Registered
153 Posts
"What did I do today"? Very simply I took myself and the R9T bike out for some exercise inline with latest Covid-19 regulations. After many weeks lying dormant in the shed, the R9T fired straight into life - absolutely zero hesitation! Then after a few miles of readjusting myself to a new season's riding, I settled in and thoroughly enjoyed the bike's abilities. Worst feature of the ride was the appalling state of the post-winter tarmac roads! Wish you all well with your bikes this season.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Installed the JCR9T titanium intake, battery relocator and airbox delete today, along with the RapidBike EVO and MyTuningBike.
It's not particularly difficult...just tedious and annoying to break apart an airbox, But afterwards it's pretty straightforward.

As for the EVO and MTB, I was able to install the EVO next to the ECU and the MTB under the seat. Really, really nice harnesses. If I were only having to do the EVO and MTB, realistically you could do it in under 3 hours...

Bike doesn't right right at the moment though...trying to figure out why....when the bike first turns on it gives me a "Service T". It doesn't want to run well. I thought maybe it just needed time to adjust, but nope... Another member told me it could be that throttle cable box, apparently his would start then violently shut off...so I need to figure that out. Too tired to trouble shoot as that order took me literally 830am all the way to 6pm because I had to keep running to the store to get zip ties, or I left a tool at the shop, or something else.... Gonna start with unplugging everything, leaving the connectors for the EVO and MTB dangling, but hook it back up to stock and if it runs rough, it probably is that cable box...if it's smooth, we'll know it's likely a connector on the RapidBike stuff...

·
Registered
126 Posts
A fantastic day riding around the New Forest, England this weekend. The Forest is 40 miles from my home and I joined a friend for a blast around the woods. 100 miles covered fuelled by a couple of stops for coffee and a bacon sandwich. Great roads, great weather and fantastic to spend a day on the bike.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Took the bike back apart today, and re-checked all the work I did… Turns out that little throttle cable box is really effing sensitive and nothing should touch it or the cables as that’s what was causing the bike to run rough....wtf.

881 - 900 of 905 Posts