BMW NineT Forum banner

961 - 980 of 1044 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ended up going on a ride, this BMW system is pretty amazing. Turns out all it needed was getting the brakes “up to temp” as after a slightly hard brake (when I made the other post, I only did a putzing around the block) I pumped the brakes like 6 times and boom, a bunch of air bubbles came out and holy crap is it solid now. Same thing happened to the clutch, you could feel the lever pulse and almost force out the air bubbles. Got so excited that brakes and clutch became a different animal I took some pics 😂

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ended up going on a ride, this BMW system is pretty amazing. Turns out all it needed was getting the brakes “up to temp” as after a slightly hard brake (when I made the other post, I only did a putzing around the block) I pumped the brakes like 6 times and boom, a bunch of air bubbles came out and holy crap is it solid now. Same thing happened to the clutch, you could feel the lever pulse and almost force out the air bubbles. Got so excited that brakes and clutch became a different animal I took some pics 😂
View attachment 142352
View attachment 142353
View attachment 142354
View attachment 142355
They match nicely with the forks!.. down to even the red details.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have to say, having the three different piston sizes is a nice thing to have. Swap the position of a bolt and boom, more or less bite. Combine that with the lever reach adjustment and you have a seemingly infinitely tunable-to-your-preferences front brake. Same thing applies to the clutch. Although, I think the clutch still has a slight amount of air. My clutch action is in the bottom end of the lever travel (lever almost fully squeezed)...which, I would much rather it be with hardy any lever movement...

·
Registered
17’ Urban GS
13 Posts
Quick question, maybe a bit off the topic. Can you take your bike to Furneaux Islands and specifically Flinders and Cape Barren.
It is an odd set up. There is a cargo ferry to Flinders that could load your bike on. About a 11 hour ferry trip. Most people load their vehicle on the ferry and catch a light plane over. About 30 minutes flight.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
969 Posts
Tonight I installed a Hepco & Becker rear luggage rack and a pair of aluminum bolts to fill the mirror stalk holes. :)

Luggage rack:
I've wanted a rear luggage rack on my motorcycle for years, but there just weren't any good options for my old Honda VFR. Very happy to have a nice example now!

Mirror stock bolt:
Found these on Amazon for $17 USD, though I think you can find them cheaper. They look much better in person than in this terrible photo.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Tonight I installed a Hepco & Becker rear luggage rack and a pair of aluminum bolts to fill the mirror stalk holes. :)

Luggage rack:
I've wanted a rear luggage rack on my motorcycle for years, but there just weren't any good options for my old Honda VFR. Very happy to have a nice example now!
View attachment 142425

Mirror stock bolt:
Found these on Amazon for $17 USD, though I think you can find them cheaper. They look much better in person than in this terrible photo.
View attachment 142426
That luggage rack looks good Tim, start carrying a couple of small ratchet straps and you’ll be able to carry almost anything. More opportunities to ride ! ....Blitz

Reactions: TimC

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
969 Posts
That luggage rack looks good Tim, start carrying a couple of small ratchet straps and you’ll be able to carry almost anything. More opportunities to ride ! ....Blitz
Absolutely! That's one of the biggest reasons I wanted a rear rack - to add more flexibility to the bike, allowing me to carry more stuff and to take the bike more often instead of the car. (y)

@BlitzSchnell Rok straps are amazing, have you ever tried them?
Those straps are on my shopping list. I'm pretty sure the local BMW shop even has them in stock!

·
Registered
17’ Urban GS
13 Posts
That is the rack I am after for my Urban. Here in Australia there is no stock available. Sounds simple enough, buy the rack from another country. Contact another distributor and they say sorry. Cannot deliver to Australia, contact your local distributor. Got to love globalisation.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
969 Posts
That is the rack I am after for my Urban. Here in Australia there is no stock available. Sounds simple enough, buy the rack from another country. Contact another distributor and they say sorry. Cannot deliver to Australia, contact your local distributor. Got to love globalisation.
Unit Garage makes a very similar looking rack. The mounting points are different, the rack might be slightly shorter, and sits a little lower, but many R9T owners have fitted that rack and been happy with it. Maybe that's one you can get Down Under?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not really did anything to my R nine T..

My R nine T went in for a service at the BMW dealer because one of the cables was too tight. They corrected it and now it's fine again.
Again; top service by BMW.

They gave me a loaner bike, a F900XR. Jezus; it's like riding a computer on wheels. Soft suspension, LCD dash, a very light clutch that even helps keep the revs up when pulling away, super light steering, butter smooth throttle without jerks/hiccups and perfect braking. It's almost too perfect.

Then just now i picked up my R nine T again.. and instantly remembered why i went for this bike. No soft suspension, no light clutch or helping revs. No super light steering or perfect braking... However; a monster of a bike with a pearl of an engine and a superb exhaust note. A true different animal compared to the computers on wheels and a more raw riding experience.

Nope; my R nine T is not leaving me for a while.. ;)

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Shopnship with Aramex is the answer, I'm sure you can setup an Oz account and shop almost anywhere you wish, have it shipped locally and then onto Oz with Aramex. I use that for anything i dont need in a hurry and for the US have a DHL EasyShop account which does the same thing but virtually overnight delivery once they receive it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I can’t ride my motorcycle, so typically, things were bought for it...custom exhaust was finished up by my builder, should be here by the end of next week. Full titanium, fully custom. He forgot to weigh it before boxing it up, but including the box and packaging, it weighs just under 2 lbs 😂

Super stoked to get this installed. Hopefully next weekend I’ll be able to ride. Also ordered the fully adjustable Ohlins rear shock....no idea when that shows though, but hopefully next week as well 😬

961 - 980 of 1044 Posts