BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1281 - 1300 of 1320 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Have been thinking for a long time that I‘d wanted to move the license plate onto a swingarm mounted bracket, having got the idea from an older version of the Ducati Monster 1200 and, more recently, the Indian FTR. My preference was to keep the OEM indicators and brake light at seat level to try and make these as visible as possible whilst driving in traffic. A summary of options had been listed by a member of this forum in the thread below some time ago (2015). The kit from Wunderlich best suited my requirements, and the tubular design matches the trellis frame on the bike.

Side arm options (license plate over tire)

Thankfully I managed to repurpose my previously installed Evotech tail tidy by leaving out the mounting bracket for the licence plate (replaced with some spacers). The OEM brake light has an integrated license plate light, so didn’t have to fiddle with electrics to install the one provided by Wunderlich which, quite frankly, had questionable lighting and awful clearances for integrating this into the mount, as recently reported by @trebor5 in the thread below (thanks for this buddy).

Wunderlich Swing arm number plate holder centered...

Results in the photos below, which I am quite pleased with.

View attachment 145167

View attachment 145168

View attachment 145169
Use caution when manouvering on reverse. Also don´t park between cars etc. It is very important not hit licence plate with a wall or any obstacle (or a car leaving his parking). One day I saw break/cracking where the screw hold licence due to hit. Problem is that is not possible to fix it. You have to remove all metal piece of shaft armour.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
DK/Kose digital gauge came in today. I got this mostly cause I wanted a cleaner front end and the two gauges were just too obtrusive.

from the side:

So while it is lower with the DK bracket, it’s still not as tucked in as I wanted it. Since it sits really close, you can’t get much lower without the bezel hitting the tree, so I spaced out both the cluster AND the mount and now it’s nice and tucked in and almost the same height as the top clamp, but lower than the fork adjustments:

I used M5 spacers but also used cone washers so I could change the angle of the gauge to be nice and clean. Now I love it.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Haha, yeah, it’s just a spare storage space where we started renovating, so we cut up boxes to put in the windows, then the price of lumber exploded and that project got put on halt 😂

·
Registered
R9teees
271 Posts
Same 3rd day of good weather so 3rd day riding.
Holy cow I’m sitting at work today finishing the ship I’m loading at about 1130 and can’t wait to get out on the bike. Yesterday was a 10 hour day of regret for not leaving my name off the work orders.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
1,310 Posts
I set another personal single-day ride total on this bike today: 501 miles. (Plus 250 yesterday.) I won't bore everyone with the southern Ohio ride details, but I will say some tasty twisty roads were on the agenda, including a couple of my favorite roads in SE Ohio. What a great day!

I celebrated a couple other milestones today, too. I went over 5,000 miles for the year so far, and I've now put over 8,000 miles on my Beemer since I bought it almost 11 months ago. :)

Also, I hate to say it, but 5,000 for 2021 thus far is actually much lower than I'd hoped for at this point. There is still some season left of course, but I haven't ridden nearly as much as I want. Hopefully we'll have a warm fall and I can do a couple weekend trips.

One funny note: I couldn't leave the bike for long during my breaks, since my dry bag was just strapped to the back (not locked down). I either stayed fairly close to the bike outside each gas station or convenience store, and I could see it out the restaurant window during my dinner break. It was entertaining seeing people look at my R9T Pure. I think they trying to figure out what the hell it was. A couple people gave it a really long look. I'm guessing they ride, but aren't familiar with this model. It's possible they were admiring it, but I don't think so. It was pretty amusing seeing a little confusion on their faces! :LOL:

·
Registered
2021 R nineT
10 Posts
I went into the North GA mountains today as I am trying to still get that bike broken in before my appointment on August 7th. Got over 500 miles now. I am really enjoying becoming more accostomed to riding it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Pure budget reasons. The Hyperpro streetbox costs around 600,- for front and rear. Ohlin options are at least twice that price!

I’m sure Ohlins are way better, but I couldn’t talk my way into spending so much more.

I’m hoping the hyperpro’s are great though!

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
1,310 Posts
Yesterday afternoon, a buddy and I finally upgraded my R9T Pure's suspension. Actually, he did most of the work and I helped a little. He's a much better mechanic than me!

Anyway, we installed a new set of RaceTech fork springs and a new TFX rear shock (without reservoir). The fork springs took a little bit of work, as the new springs are shorter than the OEMs, so we had to figure out what length to cut the spacers for the correct preload. After that the rest was easy.

Early impressions are the bike handles better, a little firmer, but more predictably. The front and rear now seem equally sprung, hallelujah!! :LOL:

I'll probably write up the whole story soon in a separate thread in case anyone is interested.

Edited my post to add this photo of the shock installed. It's too bad the charcoal canister and Mudsling hide the shock. It's quite gorgeous!

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
1,310 Posts
While my friend and I were upgrading my Pure's suspension yesterday afternoon, the Wunderlich front axle sliders I ordered late last month were delivered. (They were on backorder.) I installed them today before my short commute to work.

One humorous thing. When we were working on my BMW yesterday, my buddy joked there was "German Loctite" on the rear shock's anchor bolts. We had a good laugh at that. In the box with the Wunderlich front axle sliders was a small tube of...German Loctite!! :LOL:

One note and warning about front axle sliders: Last winter I bought a set of Evotech front axle sliders at the same time I bought their Paralever slider, but the connecting rod was not long enough for my 2020 Pure's front axle. I double-checked that I had ordered the right version, and I had. Unfortunately, by the time I tried installing that set and found the didn't fit it was too late for me to return them. (Lesson learned -- install stuff you ordered ASAP to make sure it fits. Same with helmets and riding apparel. I got burned twice this year on this.) I hated to have to spend 2-3 times as much on the Wunderlich set, but at least they actually fit.

Edited: Added two more small mods tonight. (I added the photos below.) I swapped out the Evotech Paralever slider I'd installed months ago for the Wunderlich version I bought when I ordered the front axle sliders. I tried to swap them out this morning when I did the front axle sliders, but the expanding rubber piece got stuck. I was able to fish it out tonight and finish the job.

I also installed an Wunderlich air intake guard. Expensive little thing, and kind of a pain in the butt to install. I tried a DIY version several weeks ago but it didn't work out. This one looks better anyway, and I only have to buy it once! (Sorry for the poor photo; it was getting dark outside by the time I finished.)

·
Registered
2015 Classic
59 Posts
I got a pair of new tyres (Metzler roadtech 01 SEs) and finally fitted the 2017 scrambler rear wheel eBay purchase I made last August to go tubeless at the back. The wheel was more about the aesthetics than the tube thing - I really like the look of the spokes mounted at the edge of the rim. The tyres are fantastic by the way - oodles of grip right from the off.
B6EB6828-81D9-4956-8B50-791BB6A11BFE.jpeg

·
Registered
18 Urban GS
7 Posts
So my Unit garage crash bars and r/h pannier rack arrived.
Fitted them yesterday, turned out to be an easy fit for both.
I did have to invest in a more comprehensive set of torx sockets.
Crash bars where a must have I think but the total lack of any storage on the ugs is poor of bm imho.
Installed my mini pannier so now able to carry a lock and other small essentials.
Also quad lock to the handle bars.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Added the Option 719 Storm Oiler Filler cap to the standard R Nine T classic heads. Admittedly, there is a slight issue if, like me, you suffer from biker’s OCD. Can anyone spot what it is?

1281 - 1300 of 1320 Posts