BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1381 - 1400 of 1457 Posts

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,501 Posts
Not today, but yesterday...

I celebrated exactly one year (and over 9,000 miles) of R9T Pure ownership with a Sunday morning ride, mostly on rural roads to the south, including a few fun curves but nothing very challenging. Did over 130 miles and managed to get caught in the rain. Twice.

No biggie. I stopped to put my phone, charger, and wallet in a baggie in my small tank bag and continued on. If I'd tried to wait it out I'd have been waiting a long time. I thought I might be able to get around it, but rode through a bit of rain for a few minutes. Just as my clothes started to dry from the brief rain, I hit some steadier rain a few miles from home. Whatever. It was worth it. :)

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,829 Posts
It was good fun fitting the pigtail!
I have threaded the connection end of the pigtail so that it comes out down next to the side of the battery.
When not being used, the connection squeezes nicely in the gap alongside the battery and is easy to get to.
This saves removing the seat just to plug in. ;)

Reactions: Dauphinais

·
Registered
2015 BMW R Nine T Classic
24 Posts
I have threaded the connection end of the pigtail so that it comes out down next to the side of the battery.
When not being used, the connection squeezes nicely in the gap alongside the battery and is easy to get to.
This saves removing the seat just to plug in. ;)
You know what - I thought of doing this. Once at the start when I saw those nice gaps either side of the battery, and once at the end when I wished I had threaded from underneath instead of above the battery. I thought that maybe it'd be safer tucked away nicely under the seat. An improvement for another time maybe.. 🙂

·
Registered
406 Posts
Went for a ride in the morning over to sportsbikeshop and bought an Optimate 4. Battery wasn't dead or anything, but the initial crank when starting seemed weird - it would crank, stop for a second then crank again and start. I could do with a better battery I guess, one with more cranking amps, but wanted a charger anyway and wanted to see if it would make an improvement. They didn't have the BMW edition with powerlet adapter, but it was can-BUS compatible so bought it anyway. It was good fun fitting the pigtail! I read a really helpful tip on this forum about using a length of timber to keep the tank elevated - it made this job really easy. Also, another member said he wished he had a paddock stand to keep the bike level. I haven't got one yet so put another bit of timber under the stand to level it up a bit and the tank lifted super easy.

The bike actually starts much better now, but will definitely invest in a better battery in the not-too-distant future...

View attachment 146525

View attachment 146526

View attachment 146527

View attachment 146528
I use same charger. But I use din 12v conector. Very helpful. When battery made same you explain while starting I connect charger. Battery is 4 years old and only connected charger twice. Nowdays battery still works properly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use same charger. But I use din 12v conector. Very helpful. When battery made same you explain while starting I connect charger. Battery is 4 years old and only connected charger twice. Nowdays battery still works properly.
Yeah, I'll probably grab one of those in the future. It's what I wanted in the first place, but I'm too impatient to wait for the BMW adapter to be delivered and wanted to tinker anyway..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Went for a ride in the morning over to sportsbikeshop and bought an Optimate 4. Battery wasn't dead or anything, but the initial crank when starting seemed weird - it would crank, stop for a second then crank again and start. I could do with a better battery I guess, one with more cranking amps, but wanted a charger anyway and wanted to see if it would make an improvement. They didn't have the BMW edition with powerlet adapter, but it was can-BUS compatible so bought it anyway. It was good fun fitting the pigtail! I read a really helpful tip on this forum about using a length of timber to keep the tank elevated - it made this job really easy. Also, another member said he wished he had a paddock stand to keep the bike level. I haven't got one yet so put another bit of timber under the stand to level it up a bit and the tank lifted super easy.

The bike actually starts much better now, but will definitely invest in a better battery in the not-too-distant future...

View attachment 146525
Here’s mine. 5 minute job

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here’s mine. 5 minute job
View attachment 146557
Oh, ok. I was looking for a place to ground it before I started the work. Is it safe enough to do it there? It would have saved me some time 😉 I can definitely see a round 2 coming - think I'll do as others have done and locate the plug where I don't have to remove the seat..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oh, ok. I was looking for a place to ground it before I started the work. Is it safe enough to do it there? It would have saved me some time 😉 I can definitely see a round 2 coming - think I'll do as others have done and locate the plug where I don't have to remove the seat..
Yes! Then tucked it on the left side of the bike. There’s a plastic clip in there. Im. Not sure why my photos were not alligned

·
Registered
R9teees
345 Posts
My girlfriend was appalled when I expressed an interest in switching out seats. “ Please don’t takeoff that beautiful one piece seat. Don’t ruin scramblers looks!” . I sent a photo and asked her , to which she replied in the affirmative if this was what she liked and said again not to change it. Then I dropped the other shoe. 😊

Now I’m on the hunt for an extra pillion seat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yesterday I had my first service performed

I scheduled that ~two months ago

I'm very happy with my dealer and their service dept but I was a bit surprised by the price $423.21 :oops: what thu?

Oh well - at least I don't have to worry about cleaning, lubing, and adjusting the chain ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Last week or so I finally got the stock seat on my Urban GS reworked. I had quite a bit of foam replacement/shaping done using a firmer foam as the base with a thin softer section on top. He widened the rear section and little in the main rider rear portion, then built up the original "dip down" area so the rider portion is more flat front to rear, then carved more leg relief near the front to keep my footing the same. He made a new cover made up using the design I asked for.

I'm stoked with the results. It's FAR more comfortable for both me and my wife and I think it looks better as well.

·
Registered
2020 R Nine T Pure
156 Posts
Replaced the stock Pure silencer with the stock Classic version.

I wasn’t a fan of the Pure look but also sounded a bit too loud for my liking. Jury is still out on the noise but definitely looks better.

Question - does doing anything to the air box quieten it any more?

·
Registered
BMW R NineT 2021 (Black Storm Metallic, Comfort Pack, Adaptive Headlight, Option 719 Classic Wheels)
82 Posts
Is the pure can louder than the classic?
Based on my limited experience, there isn't a huge amount of difference between the Pure and Classic cans (just a different sound), but the Scrambler can is significantly louder than either. For the 2021 models anyway.

1381 - 1400 of 1457 Posts