BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1541 - 1560 of 1591 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Warning: I take no liability in you spending all your hard earned money on farkles :ROFLMAO:

It's number 8: 77 25 2 447 694

There's also many other parts in the same style you can order, i think they are great value and really finish the bike.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT /5
119 Posts
This morning it is blowing 45kts, lots of trees down and wet leaves on the road. Maybe this afternoon might be ok for a ride out in the weak autumn sunshine.

So this morning in the garage a bit of spannering…..
Canister removed…..tick.
Flapperectomy…..done.

Now to sit back, bask in indulgent self satisfaction and have a good cup of tea and wait to see if the weather improves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
R9teees
479 Posts
It’s good to be a pack rat now and then. Dealership never gives you anything for your farkles, so I tend to strip bikes down as close to stock as I can when a trade in happens. The old P.O.S. Trax top case has been collecting dust ever since the F800GS left the stable. This is just a temporary mod to get a little extra gear a few hundred miles down the road.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

·
Registered
2015 R nineT
17 Posts
Love the furry blue seat, Baloo!
So I have a place on the Oregon coast, and I was worried about heat wrap trapping moisture against my header pipes so I took it off. I did like the look, but I know what salt does to metal there. What horrors lay beneath! I tried 5 progressively stronger chemical and abrasive cleaning methods but the staining seemed actually embedded in the chrome.
So I found some stock replacements with a "NineT Racer" exhaust. In addition to replacing the headers, I replace the Yoshi with the stock Racer. Also removed the crash bars. Heavier silencer by 5 lbs, yes, but less the 10 lbs weight of the crash bars so I lost 5 lbs net. Will post before and after pics.
Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Before cleaning:
Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Tread Synthetic rubber Motor vehicle

This is how it looked AFTER cleaning:
Automotive tire Tread Wood Motor vehicle Tire

Hmmmm. Keep the Yosh? Or go frankenstein with Racer silencer on base NineT?
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

After replacing the headers, I feel like I can keep tabs on the salt environment's effects.
Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Wheel Automotive lighting

Very different sound! Kind of like an airplane. Will try it for a while. Seems like the ECU is adapting ok so far. Having gone thru a whole tank of gas yet...
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

Unfortunately the stator burned up on Thor (my Tuono) last weekend during some hard riding, so now I'm replacing that with another one from Ricks Motorsports, along with putting on a Compu-Fire R/R. :-(

Later!

·
Premium Member
R9teees
479 Posts
So I have a place on the Oregon coast, and I was worried about heat wrap trapping moisture against my header pipes so I took it off. I did like the look, but I know what salt does to metal there. What horrors lay beneath! I tried 5 progressively stronger chemical and abrasive cleaning methods but the staining seemed actually embedded in the chrome.
So I found some stock replacements with a "NineT Racer" exhaust. In addition to replacing the headers, I replace the Yoshi with the stock Racer. Also removed the crash bars. Heavier silencer by 5 lbs, yes, but less the 10 lbs weight of the crash bars so I lost 5 lbs net. Will post before and after pics. View attachment 148603

Before cleaning:
View attachment 148604
This is how it looked AFTER cleaning:
View attachment 148605

View attachment 148606

After replacing the headers, I feel like I can keep tabs on the salt environment's effects.
View attachment 148607

Very different sound! Kind of like an airplane. Will try it for a while. Seems like the ECU is adapting ok so far. Having gone thru a whole tank of gas yet...
View attachment 148608

Unfortunately the stator burned up on Thor (my Tuono) last weekend during some hard riding, so now I'm replacing that with another one from Ricks Motorsports, along with putting on a Compu-Fire R/R. :-(

Later!
Thanks SBT,
Somebody asked me if that was Cookie Monster’s pelt. Just a synthetic sheepskin from IKEA. What can I say I like soft pretty things. I to live on the coast about 100 yards from the Briny deep. I’ve never had a problem with any corrosion as of yet. I have Run it on Harleys in the past with the same result. I have to re-wrap the headers on the Classic because I was sloppy and let brake fluid drip on it when I was flushing. Going to go with a black wrap because my gal commands it. I tend to keep the wrap on a few of the bikes because it makes me feel pretty and I’m clumsy, managing to burn myself two or three times a year. Forearms and the heels of boots take the brunt of the abuse.
I kind a dig the yosh. The great thing about these bikes is the ease of modifying. You get bored and change the pipe, seat, bars or whatever. The racer pipe looks good too.

i changed my hand guards from black to white just because. Thanks to a member here in the marketplace.
Plant Vehicle Fuel tank Tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT - 2015 RNineT
269 Posts
So I found some stock replacements with a "NineT Racer" exhaust. In addition to replacing the headers, I replace the Yoshi with the stock Racer. Also removed the crash bars. Heavier silencer by 5 lbs, yes, but less the 10 lbs weight of the crash bars so I lost 5 lbs net. Will post before and after pics

After replacing the headers, I feel like I can keep tabs on the salt environment's effec

View attachment 148608

Later!
I don't think the rust and staining on your original exhaust was related to the salt air but rather the increased heat being held in by the wrap. I really like the racer end can on the Classic and think it should have been on the bike instead of the dual Akra... I doubt your bike's electronics will care one way or another about the end can as they are probably both very close in flow. I on the other hand have a full Ti Akra without a cat and really open end can. It runs great but I think would benefit from a Rapid Bike Evo or Race...

·
Registered
2021 BMW R NineT Scrambler
177 Posts
Bean hit her 6000 mile mark so I got busy and did some of the basics, fresh oil/filter, clean air filter, tidied up the running light wiring and so on. Plan on a trip to the dealer for a valve lash adjustment, but that can wait for a week.

What I do want to mention is what I discovered when I pulled my crash plate/skid pan. For those who know of the Bean, you also know she is no garage queen, pretty yes, delicate no. We do as much bashing about as possible, which brings me to this:
Wood Font Metal Auto part Fashion accessory
Hand tool Tool Metal Machine Gas

The skid plate, note the bash marks on the bottom side, however, look again at the belly side, that shinny spot near the end is not a good thing and most probably would have led to bad things happening.

I need to pull my pan off to change the oil and that is where I noted that it was bent in a couple of places, most notably on the tail end. The tail end of this plate, (Evotech Performance Skid Plate), which protects the cat on the 2021 models, probably got bent crashing over a big log or rock and was rubbing on the cat.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive fuel system

There was another touch point on the side against the header pipe but not as bad.
I need to say this is a gooooood skid plate, however, when a 485 pound motorcycle driven by a 180 pound nutcase crashes over logs and various other things in the way something has to give. Just glad that plate was there and I discovered the problem when I did.

SOOO, my point, if you hear an odd bumping, vibrating, rattle-ish sound coming from under you ride, stop and take a look, you may have bent something that may ruin you day later on.

Oh and just think about what could have been if that plate wasn't there at all????

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Blue
This happened before I put the plate on....

Kind regards,
Bean

Attachments

Reactions: Lelc2 and TimC

·
Registered
681 Posts
Over the years I've run the Grip Puppies and various similar products with different names on multiple bikes. I also had some SunTour GT barrel shaped grips that were incredibly comfortable since they were larger in the middle than the edges, much like your palm when you grip a motorcycle. Basically foam grip covers, great for larger hands. Recently I've started having issues with arthritis and trigger finger and the foam covers have gotten a little too large for long day comfort. Following an idea from Advrider I started looking at O-rings as a grip cover. There are several people who have used a bunch of O-rings to get a slightly larger than OEM grip. The multiple ridges provide for great comfort, like a wooden beaded seat does for New York Taxi drivers. The slightest movement of your hand changes all the pressure points.

I improved on the idea a little by using a variety of O-Rings with different cross sections to make the grip a little bigger in the middle than the edges. It's not as barrel shaped as the original SunTour GT grips but it does feel better than a uniform size grip. Forgive the fuzz on the grips. Thats from a drying cloth.

Automotive lighting Bicycle handlebar Fender Automotive tire Gas

·
Registered
Racer, Tuono, Diavel, Baby Monster
21 Posts
My Racer had a change from the OEM pipe to an SC Project slip-on, changed the OEM mirrors to some knock-off bar ends that came with the bike, added a RAM stem mount to take my Quadlock phone holder, ordered a tail tidy from AliExpress. If it's not totally shite I won't bother chasing an Evotech version. Funny but both cans put out 87dB of sound. I was hoping for a little more growl from the SC in all honesty.

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
656 Posts
Spa Day for the Girls today:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Edit: plus one: it’s the 3 sisters now!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
113 Posts
Decided I need a new battery so took off the tank and replaced the battery (and airfilter, because why not!) than 🤬 up by nicking the o-rings while plugging back the quick-release (my ass).

Now I have to wait 2 days before my niner rides again…

epic pictures though:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire

Attachments

1541 - 1560 of 1591 Posts