BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1561 - 1580 of 1591 Posts

·
Premium Member
R9teees
479 Posts
I don't think the rust and staining on your original exhaust was related to the salt air but rather the increased heat being held in by the wrap. I really like the racer end can on the Classic and think it should have been on the bike instead of the dual Akra... I doubt your bike's electronics will care one way or another about the end can as they are probably both very close in flow. I on the other hand have a full Ti Akra without a cat and really open end can. It runs great but I think would benefit from a Rapid Bike Evo or Race...
I can agree with you on the staining but not the rusting. Unless you’ve covered bolts with it. And you might trap water against something that is prone to rusting. I kept mine on the stainless.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Fellow Rider Report: outside of Munich where I'm working until the end of the year (my hometown Starnberg, to be precise), I saw my ride today, a Scrambler. But the fella was cold (it's 5C/ca. 40F) and in a hurry, so no chance to catch up with him and stop for a nice leisurely chat.

But I noticed the bike looked oddly different – wonder if it was because he had a tail mod with the tiniest rear light, no visible directionals (how did he get through the bi-annual TÜV with that?) and a side-mounted XXXXL license plate (which is not a must for bikes in Germany). Tail looked somewhat imbalanced to me, and I noticed a huge dead space above the rear wheel.

Perhaps the rider is on this forum and would like to chime in – I'd love to chat with him.

Sorry for the bad image quality, but I wanted to share this:
Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire Car

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler
29 Posts
I built a rear axle stand..... about $30 in steel and a couple of wheels.... and 3 hours of playing around....was a bit scary the first time I used it on my new week old scrambler ....... but probally over engineered.

I have some fork springs and a new shock on the way so needed a stand....

·
Registered
67 Posts
I built a rear axle stand..... about $30 in steel and a couple of wheels.... and 3 hours of playing around....was a bit scary the first time I used it on my new week old scrambler ....... but probally over engineered.

I have some fork springs and a new shock on the way so needed a stand....

Good for you! I considered making my own but went for the Australian made Anderson Stand, a bit more expensive than Chinese made units and a lot more than your $30 home build. Scary first time also but relaxed using it now.

Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler
29 Posts
Good for you! I considered making my own but went for the Australian made Anderson Stand, a bit more expensive than Chinese made units and a lot more than your $30 home build. Scary first time also but relaxed using it now.

View attachment 149024
I was going to buy one.... but was feeling bad about having bought so much stuff in the last week so I thought I should pull my head in! (helmet, tyres, rack, pannier, seat cover, Nitron rear shock and some fork springs... maybe a jacket and some pants.... boy.... I've been bad!)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was going to buy one.... but was feeling bad about having bought so much stuff in the last week so I thought I should pull my head in! (helmet, tyres, rack, pannier, seat cover, Nitron rear shock and some fork springs... maybe a jacket and some pants.... boy.... I've been bad!)
My dear wife said, "Get it, if we don't spend the money the kids will when we're gone". Can't argue with that logic.
Please tell, or better still post a photo of your rack and pannier. I'm working on a pannier frame/rack but an over the counter one may save a lot of time.

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler
29 Posts
Installed some hyperpro fork springs today.... the slack way. Didn't take the forks off.... just undid the handle bars and rested them on the tank...... 15w oil at 150mm is recommended.... but I left the 11.5 standard oil in (bikes new)..... just sucked out enough to drop the level by 60mm or so.... will see how it goes. Still awaiting my new rear shock. My rear stand is working amazingly well.... very unusual.... might have to paint it now.... looks like a keeper.

The springs arrived without my wife knowing..... so it doesn't count as a mod. Generally, I only consider myself responsible for what I get caught doing.

and.... I've never covered a tank/headlight/instrument with so many protective cloths/towels before..... I think I'm becoming an old woman.

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler
29 Posts
Please tell, or better still post a photo of your rack and pannier. I'm working on a pannier frame/rack but an over the counter one may save a lot of time.
I just went with the unit garage one... and their leather pannier ..... I like the way the rack compliments the scrambler tail.... though both won't take a lot of weight....

_KP_3539.jpg by Noel Leahy, on Flickr

_KP_3533.jpg by Noel Leahy, on Flickr

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the photos!
Are the rack and pannier frame independent of each other, IE, can you have the pannier frame and bag without the rack?
Pushing the friendship further now ... do you have a photo from the rear? I'm interested in seeing how far out from the seat the frame and bag sit.

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler
29 Posts
Thanks for the photos!
Are the rack and pannier frame independent of each other, IE, can you have the pannier frame and bag without the rack?
Pushing the friendship further now ... do you have a photo from the rear? I'm interested in seeing how far out from the seat the frame and bag sit.
yes... two seperate items.... bolt to different places.....I just have the single side pannier frame.... they do a double .... have a look at their web site. Will post a photo tomorrow.

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler
29 Posts
I'm trying to picture how this stand works if you can replace a rear shock while using it. Have any pictures?
I painted it a few hours ago.... so once dry I'll post something.

Anyway.... I made it to be able to do most sort of work. I made it a bit wider then normal... as it doesn't need to be packed and posted anywhere.... I was hoping for extra stability.... both in getting it up from the side stand and when on it...... I envisage using it to do my rear shock..... and obviously when the weight is on the rear wheel all is good..... but when using the stand to stabilise the bike whilst also removing weight from the rear of the bike to extend the shock prior to taking it off.... say via jack under the motor etc.... then more stand width I thought was important to keep safe or idiot proof stability.

When doing my fork springs yesterday I used a trolley jack under the sump.... no issues.

I was amazed how easily it moves the bike from sidestand lean to up on axle stand.... quite chuffed.

·
Registered
Nine T Scrambler
154 Posts
I had planned to swap the horrible OEM mirrors with some bar end ones but it was a big fail, I don't have a T50 in my tool box :mad:
I have two type of mirrors
  • CRG Arrow
  • CRG Hindsight Lanesplitters
I wonder which one will go best with the style and the most practical.
I had lanesplietters on my Svartpilen, they were very tiny and I lost a screw due to the amout of vibrations from the little thumper,I shouldhave locklite them.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I had planned to swap the horrible OEM mirrors with some bar end ones but it was a big fail, I don't have a T50 in my tool box :mad:
I have two type of mirrors
  • CRG Arrow
  • CRG Hindsight Lanesplitters
I wonder which one will go best with the style and the most practical.
I had lanesplietters on my Svartpilen, they were very tiny and I lost a screw due to the amout of vibrations from the little thumper,I shouldhave locklite them.
If you twist hard enough the bar-ends probably come off.. They are just plastic with plastic threads..

1561 - 1580 of 1591 Posts