BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1581 - 1591 of 1591 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler
29 Posts
I'm trying to picture how this stand works if you can replace a rear shock while using it. Have any pictures?
here ya go.... I got dressed up for it....

Made out of 25mmx50mm rec tube...2mm wall thickness.... some 25x25mm for bracing and lower stress bits. 50mm water pipe.... 250mm long for bit that goes into axle.... handle I had lying around.... foot print is 500mm wide to.... blah blah. Could provide detail but probally not all that interesting. Painted red because I had a tin lyling around for years... no idea why..... anyway.... moving the trolly jack towards the rear of the sump takes most of the weight off the real wheel for shock removal.... I'm still awaiting my new shock. I did have to think a bit about how far the axle bit needs to lean back... and how far off set into the base would be best.... and clearance for the frame to walk under the tyre as you lift the bike etc.... I seem to have got it about right. The 50mm water pipe was a bit small in diameter.... so I ran some welds the length of it about ever 22 degrees or so to get up closer to 53mm..... I just wrapped some cloth tape around it to prevent scratching.

·
Registered
67 Posts
here ya go.... I got dressed up for it....

Made out of 25mmx50mm rec tube...2mm wall thickness.... some 25x25mm for bracing and lower stress bits. 50mm water pipe.... 250mm long for bit that goes into axle.... handle I had lying around.... foot print is 500mm wide to.... blah blah. Could provide detail but probally not all that interesting. Painted red because I had a tin lyling around for years... no idea why..... anyway.... moving the trolly jack towards the rear of the sump takes most of the weight off the real wheel for shock removal.... I'm still awaiting my new shock. I did have to think a bit about how far the axle bit needs to lean back... and how far off set into the base would be best.... and clearance for the frame to walk under the tyre as you lift the bike etc.... I seem to have got it about right. The 50mm water pipe was a bit small in diameter.... so I ran some welds the length of it about ever 22 degrees or so to get up closer to 53mm..... I just wrapped some cloth tape around it to prevent scratching.
Well done Noel!
How come your home made stand is better than the one that cost me 10 times more than yours? ;)
I also recommend a lifting platform, had mine for 15 or more years, it's so handy.
My old two sided Anderson stand got a tweak and now lifts the front, plus I have an auto floor jack like yours.
I beat you in the "Fill your garage with crap that should get chucked out" competition. :p
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle tire

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler
29 Posts
Looks nice and solid Noel61. You will have to remove the red stand when changing your shock out though. The swing arm won't be able to support the bike during that process.
The trolley jack takes the weight then..... but the rear wheel stand provides some stability.... thats the plan! I have a floor fixture that holds the front wheel down.

·
Premium Member
The fleet...9T ‘classic’ F800gt, Mz Ts150, Etz250, Beneli 125 2c, TL1000s, Trx 850, Katana 250/4, X7
154 Posts
Well, Clarks Motorrad delivered it a short time ago..... Not sure about the German themed registration though.... View attachment 149138
Was thinking what theme?? as a lot of Vw boys run German lettered style plates till I twigged the SS bit! Doh!

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler
29 Posts
Added a phone holder to the handle bars and spliced wires to the USB wire feed on my 2021.... seems to work ok. Phone is mostly to run ExplorOz app for back road exploring. Also boight some puig engine protection bars on black friday sale.... $330 aussie.... so I am now done with stuff.... just awaiting my rear shock.

1581 - 1591 of 1591 Posts