BMW NineT Forum banner
161 - 180 of 3,948 Posts
Instead of screwing around in the garage, I convinced my back-to-home college junior to get up early (!) and go on a 6:00 am ride, before he went to work.

Café racer @ the Café:

He liked the concept!

dropped the forks and installed a set of fork gaiters.
I haven’t got used to the trend of the front headlight being drooped On bikes these days, it always makes me think the front end melted. So I made a bracket to raise mine, about 60mm.
Will realign the beam tonight..

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive tire

Took my TBR exhaust off today and put the oe shotgun back on. Still have oe headers with cat but found the TBR (with db killer) too loud. Getting old? maybe but getting ready for Akro ss catless. TBR looked good, saved a s#@* load of weight.

2020 Pure. Today put on a Leo Vince shotgun slip-on, Ohlins steering damper, R&G side stand foot & an oil cooler grill.
Everything went on smoothly. Pipe a little fiddly but it fit well.
Now that I took off the stock steering damper I can see while it felt like a truck at low speeds!! At least now I can back it off on back roads or slow speed riding & crank up a little for highway cruising. Really don't think this bike is in danger of shaking its head,,,,,

Added the beautiful Ilmberger Carbon Fiber Hugger to my 2017 R NineT Scrambler! Man these folks know how to manufacture beautiful carbon fiber products
x2

I've got one of their carbon ignition switch surrounds.......the quality of manufacture is the best I've seen for an off the shelf carbon fibre product.

Even the way it was presented in it's packaging shows IImberger are a class act.

x2

I've got one of their carbon ignition switch surrounds.......the quality of manufacture is the bet I've seen for an off the shelf carbon fibre product.

Even the way it was presented in it's packaging shows IImberger are a class act.
I was thinking about getting one of those, does the original ignition cover surround simply unclip or are there any screws to worry about?

x2

I've got one of their carbon ignition switch surrounds.......the quality of manufacture is the bet I've seen for an off the shelf carbon fibre product.

I couldn’t agree with you more Gambo - the signature Ilmberger Carbon cloth bag creates an “unveiling” effect as you remove your beautiful new part from inside - almost justifies the price right in that moment, but certainly when they are installed on your bike - beautiful, strong and LIGHT components to be sure.

is it just me???? I can’t bring myself to toss those cloth IC bags away- their special!

I was thinking about getting one of those, does the original ignition cover surround simply unclip or are there any screws to worry about?
You’ve got it right Dave - the OEM cover just pops out and the IC clips in its place - no fasteners- my problem with that part is that the small black plastic that surrounds the keyhole (which matches the OEM ignition cover) remains and looks ugly against the beautiful carbon fiber, but I get hung up on little details like that. I just went back to the stock setup.

The Illmberger carbon part fits over the top of the stock ignition cover and hides it, it doesn't replace it, so there's no need to remove the fugly OE chunk of recycled plastic. The carbon cover adheres using 3M double sided tape. I'm not particularly enamoured with that so I plan on using a rubber/plastic bonding agent when I next lift the tank and can unclip the OE cover and do an 'off bike' bonding job, without fear of messing anything up.

Yes @Hincksters I've kept the lully cloth bag.......I'v even kept the Illmberger cardboard box too! Sad innit!!

What really impressed me was the attention to detail in the way the carbon weave has been laid straight and perfectly symmetrically ....it doesn't bias to the left or right, or appear wonky as it can on some cheapo carbon parts.

It even has silk 'badges' inlaid into the resin on the underside...........IIRC one shows the brand name and part number, the other giving the batch number.....to me, that just smacks of a faith in both the quality, and quality control, of their products.

Reactions: Hincksters
Just installed the OEM engine guard.
For those who have done it, how can you possibly tighten the vibration dampers to spec. The things slip and twist.
Anyway tightened them a lot and I do not thing they will come loose.
Looks good and I am happy with the result even though you loose a bit of clearance below the engine.

The Illmberger carbon part fits over the top of the stock ignition cover and hides it, it doesn't replace it, so there's no need to remove the fugly OE chunk of recycled plastic. The carbon cover adheres using 3M double sided tape. I'm not particularly enamoured with that so I plan on using a rubber/plastic bonding agent when I next lift the tank and can unclip the OE cover and do an 'off bike' bonding job, without fear of messing anything up.

Yes @Hincksters I've kept the lully cloth bag.......I'v even kept the Illmberger cardboard box too! Sad innit!!

What really impressed me was the attention to detail in the way the carbon weave has been laid straight and perfectly symmetrically ....it doesn't bias to the left or right, or appear wonky as it can on some cheapo carbon parts.

It even has silk 'badges' inlaid into the resin on the underside...........IIRC one shows the brand name and part number, the other giving the batch number.....to me, that just smacks of a faith in both the quality, and quality control, of their products.
I stand corrected on this - I had ordered one in the past from a competitor and it was a replacement part - I would be delighted if you could post an installed pic of the Ilmberger .....

I stand corrected on this - I had ordered one in the past from a competitor and it was a replacement part - I would be delighted if you could post an installed pic of the Ilmberger .....
Yes I saw the ones that replace the stock ignition switch cover a few years ago on ebay, but haven't seen any for sale recently, only the Illmberger ones.

Yes I'll take a pic just as soon as I can @Hincksters

161 - 180 of 3,948 Posts