BMW NineT Forum banner

What did you do to your R nineT today?

537K views 4K replies 411 participants last post by  PG46 
#1 ·
I know it's a cornball topic however this type of thread has been very entertaining and extremely informative on other forums. Our souped up NC Miata has multiple improvements, the ideas gleaned from a similar thread at miata.net, and the little tips gained over the years now seem essential. Obviously technical specifics should be posted in the appropriate forum however a general digest of daily tinkering or even that awesome ride you took today may inspire someone to expand their R nineT envelope.

So, today I installed the Ohlins Steering Damper. It almost seems like it's upside down but thats what the instructions show. Next was surveying the available real estate in the frame behind the steering head for the small Stebel Nautilus tooter that arrived today. Tight fit indeed if this is going to work. And finally, I stared at the bike for a long time as usual, with most of the constructive thoughts towards the next generation of my tail tidy (thanks again Marc Australia).

Hopefully tomorrow I can post that I took Li'l B for a long, long ride instead of just dinking with the bike.

#364 · (Edited)
My tiny little moment of motorcycle happiness in a fog of a week:
I did a test install of some driving lights wired through a Skene dimmer. I wanted lights didn't want to choose between being seen and being able to see more. I'd never used one of these dimmers before and it seems to be exactly the solution I wanted. By default, on low beam, the lights are set at 20% (you can change this). On high beam, they go to full brightness. These are cheap $50 lights.

Tomorrow, I'll see how they are out on the road...

#366 ·
Wrapped up the install of the lights and controller, and went for a night ride. No one flashed their lights at me. Lights are good and bright on high. Though I do need to test them out on some truly empty roads. So far, I'm pleased.

Ignore how messy the studio is and how crappy it looks (life has been busy).

#367 ·
New wunderlich screen (and last week the rev counter!)

#368 ·
Got delivery of the Atlas throttle lock, TOP version.

On my R nine T Scrambler -20 the installation was a bit tricky as there is a very narrow gap between the housing and grips (I have heated grips). Also there is also a "ledge" on the throttle tube that I wanted the Atlas to rest securely on.

I followed the install instructions and used the THINNEST friction pad, before tighten it up I chimmed 3 credit cards in between the throttle housing (stacks of 3 cards at two places) and the Atlas throttle lock to press the thooths on the atlas to a position where it digged into the throttle tube safely, up on the small ledge. Then tightening it down thoroughly and removed the 6 credit cards.

It worked perfect and after a test ride I was pleased with the function BUT not with the position the buttons ended up when I usually engaged them. So I re-did the whole process paying attention to exactly where the buttons would be when engaging the throttle lock.

It all seems fine now, the quality is solid and the usage simply can't be easier and more intuitive!
On the picture (installation 1) the throttle lock is seated in the wrong position, way to high up but its easy to remount it after doing it once.

If this thing holds up with time.. It's a highly recommended product. :)

#372 ·
@Norbi , hehe will keep that in mind.

Today I fitted the breastplate.

No need for tank removal.

Fortunately I had a tool at home that made the process so much easier and kept my sanity at normal levels.

It took me one hour more or less but that included lots of swearing and sweat.

A torx screwdriver that can do the job under various angles was a life savior.

I was able to unscrew that hard reaching bolts in minutes.

Mission accomplished.

Now if there was a way to change that position of that oil cooler and leave that beautiful piece at full display...

Greetings from Greece back to you guys.

e.f.

#380 · (Edited)
Transferred my new R9T Pure's title to Ohio, registered it at the BMV, and installed my new license plate. :)

Quick tip from someone who's been there: Stick a $20 bill in with your registration and insurance card under your seat. You might go for a ride one day, need gas, and discover 50 miles from home you forgot to grab your wallet on your way out.

#381 ·
Well today I tried for the first time vinyl wrapping.

Never had a previous experience so i watched a few videos before attempting anything.

My first try was ok with some imperfections as expected.

Forgot to mention that I was working on my aluminum windshield.

Total gloss black was the first try. After leaving it on for a some hours I decided to go a different way.

Second try then and much more pleased than the first one.

Not from the perspective of style but mainly because I managed to wrap it with finesses I think .

Not really a fan of vinyl wrapping ( there is nothing like a proper paint job ) but gives you a very good idea and I was amazed from the quality of the vinyl. I went with 3M. I don’t know maybe there are better brands out there but I surely get it why so many people go this way instead of perm painting.

Later on I am going to try to do the hump as well..

A photo with the two sides to show you how I finished the wrapping in the back.

Some photos with the windshield attached to the bike.

what do you guys think ?

#391 ·
@CerealOwner thank you my friend !

@Dauphinais, glad you like it.

Yesterday i took the vinyl from the hump. The small imperfections was not something i can tolerate.

So i re wrapped it and this time it came almost flawless (just one small tiny that i guess only me who knows it can see it).

This time i am keeping it as it is until i will visit the appropriate guy for the paint job.

Thanks again guys.

#393 ·
I did it in the end. After changing two led light bulbs (because suddenly an error appeared on the display and this annoyed me so much...) I decided to buy a ledperf headlight (type 3). A little laboured installation. It was necessary to add a resistance (which was not in the packaging) but with the help of my mechanic we managed to put it under the tank in order not to show it. The result is quite remarkable, and of course I no longer have any error on the dashboard. Very satisfied with the purchase. Great improvement

#394 · (Edited)
Hey all!

I have bought the AC Schnitzer belly pan since the early days of September.

I was thinking to try painting myself so yesterday I went and bought what I needed.

First of all a good cleaning and the filling some minor imperfections with two components putty for plastics.

after some minor sanding it was silk and smooth

primer time

after many layers of thin coats (I made a color in two spray cans which I believe it’s almost perfect match to the bmw color) I gave it three layers of 2K varnish.

Super satisfied with the result.

I left it since yesterday 24 hours so that the varnish will cure completely and in the next days I will try installing it.

Have a good weekend to all and happy rides.

e.f.

#398 · (Edited)
Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive tire Tire Vehicle
Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Car Engine
Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Auto part
Today I did some tinkering. I love my classic but I have been keen to make a few cosmetic changes and to make it more comfortable. I am also completely taken by adventure bikes and the idea of some future adventures. So, over the past few weeks I have completed the following:

Stripped my seat and inserted a gel pad and recovered it in Unit Garage brown covers,

Changed the front mudguard to a cleaner aluminium one from Unit Garage,

Raised the handlebars with 20mm risers from Wunderlich,

Added a Rizoma handlebar brace and Unit Garage pad in the same brown as the seat,

I made my own air intake guard from stainless steel mesh,

I added an old BMW GS 1200 sump/engine guard from e-bay,

and finally, I changed out the stock badges with some tasty aluminium milled badges from Pier City Cycles here in the UK.

This is a great forum, great people and fantastic to see everyone else’s efforts to make their bike their own. Keep it up.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Automotive design

Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Wheel Spoke

Auto part Vehicle Metal Wheel Engine

Vehicle Auto part Spoke Motorcycle Tire

Motor vehicle Emblem Symbol Logo Hood

#401 ·
View attachment 136776 View attachment 136777 View attachment 136778 Today I did some tinkering. I love my classic but I have been keen to make a few cosmetic changes and to make it more comfortable. I am also completely taken by adventure bikes and the idea of some future adventures. So, over the past few weeks I have completed the following:

Stripped my seat and inserted a gel pad and recovered it in Unit Garage brown covers,

Changed the front mudguard to a cleaner aluminium one from Unit Garage,

Raised the handlebars with 20mm risers from Wunderlich,

I made my own air intake guard from stainless steel mesh air intake.
Really like your custom made stainless steel air intake. Any suggestions for me to copy your efforts here in the states?

#399 ·