BMW NineT Forum banner

What did you do to your R nineT today?

544K views 4K replies 414 participants last post by  Lelc2 
#1 ·
I know it's a cornball topic however this type of thread has been very entertaining and extremely informative on other forums. Our souped up NC Miata has multiple improvements, the ideas gleaned from a similar thread at miata.net, and the little tips gained over the years now seem essential. Obviously technical specifics should be posted in the appropriate forum however a general digest of daily tinkering or even that awesome ride you took today may inspire someone to expand their R nineT envelope.

So, today I installed the Ohlins Steering Damper. It almost seems like it's upside down but thats what the instructions show. Next was surveying the available real estate in the frame behind the steering head for the small Stebel Nautilus tooter that arrived today. Tight fit indeed if this is going to work. And finally, I stared at the bike for a long time as usual, with most of the constructive thoughts towards the next generation of my tail tidy (thanks again Marc Australia).

Hopefully tomorrow I can post that I took Li'l B for a long, long ride instead of just dinking with the bike.

#2,392 ·
Been a while since my last post. How are you all doing ?

Broke my clutch handle last weekend while getting my beauty out of the shed,

so decided I just swap out the stock handles with some vtrec ones.

Added a bit of bling to her in the process.

Easy fix. Just undo one screw and swap out a bushing on the clutch side.

Took about ten minutes :)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

#2,401 ·
Just fitted extended brake and clutch lines from Spiegler.
The lines are lighter and more flexible than OEM. Plus the feel of action is so much smoother. It cleans up the cockpit too. If you were ever thinking about replacement call Spiegler or simply fill out their custom line form. The most time was spent bleeding the lines. Figment is quite easy if you have ever had the tank up before.

#2,411 · (Edited)
Lacquered and chamged the front fender yesterday (2 hrs with drying time inbetween).
Had the small OEM Urban fender there (also colored) but think it looks more complete with a Scrambler fender.

Base coat with plastic primer - "Light White Uni" few ayers - clear coat 4 layers (all up-/downside).
Think I like it !

Glasses Goggles Automotive design Gadget Bag

Liquid Bottle Fluid Drink Alcoholic beverage

Automotive design Flooring Personal protective equipment Human leg Carmine

before...

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

after (24hrs dried out)...

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Plant

#2,412 ·
I added the Unit Garage luggage rack to my bike. You can see from the photos that I aslo have the BMW system installed. I had to use the Dremel tool to grind the BMW rack in order to fit the Unit Garage rack, not too much just about 4 millimeter. The integrity of the BMW rack was not compromised. I ordered the rack on a Friday and had it here in the States by the following Thursday. Excellent product and timely shipping. Thumbs up to Unit Garage.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Plant Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Tire
Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel Vehicle registration plate
Plant Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle
Tire Plant Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Tire Plant Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

#2,413 ·
I added the Unit Garage luggage rack to my bike. You can see from the photos that I aslo have the BMW system installed. I had to use the Dremel tool to grind the BMW rack in order to fit the Unit Garage rack, not too much just about 4 millimeter. The integrity of the BMW rack was not compromised. I ordered the rack on a Friday and had it here in the States by the following Thursday. Excellent product and timely shipping. Thumbs up to Unit Garage.
Is that a new luggage rack model from Unit Garage? I haven't seen that one before, and it looks an inch or two longer than the version I've always seen from them (which is always in black), plus it has that base attached, I'm guessing for a top box. Great looking and very useful addition to your /5!

#2,415 ·
This weekend I swapped front wheels, replacing the one damaged in May when I ran over a 4" x 4" laying in the middle of the road, had the rear wheel fixed (much less damaged than the front was), had new Dunlop RoadSmart III's installed, and finally rode again after the bike was out of commission for three months. Felt great to ride again during my 25-mile test ride to check how the bike handled, basically trying to feel for anything wrong in the forks. Thankfully everything felt good.

I also adjusted the angle of the headlight housing, as I've gained weight since last season and now the high beam was lighting up more sky than road. (Will check the angle again after dark tonight.) I should have added some preload to the rear shock, and I might still do that. If so I'll have to adjust the headlight angle again, but that's easy enough to do.

My Pure with its new front wheel:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

#2,421 · (Edited)
I had a passenger for the first time ever and it was a 6'-2" 175-pound guy and I couldn't really tell he was there other than the shock absorbers compressed quite a bit :D

I ordered a set of bar risers from Unit Garage. There's a Roland Sands garage in Long Beach, CA here so I may ask them to install (they didn't have bar risers that I could find) or I will do it myself, as I have already purchased all the tools in anticipation of this project.

#2,422 · (Edited)
It's easy to do by yourself.
But take care: First tighten the front screws to 38 Nm, then the rear ones to 19 Nm. Just not the other way around!
Not only for the look (allen bolts delivered - quality? I replaced my Wunderlich ones immediately) go for Torx.
T50 is required for the front screw M10, for the rear M8 T45. Check all lines about tension and free movement.

ah, and use some Loctite (medium is ok)

#2,425 ·
Yesterday I gave my R9T Pure a much-needed wash and added the vintage VIN plate to the headstock. Later I adjusted the headlight angle again and took a test ride at night to check it. It needed one more adjustment but I think it's good to go now.

In a post above I mentioned adding some pre-load to the rear shock to compensate for the weight I've gained (which thankfully I'm losing again). Unfortunately with the garage in shambles I can't find the TFX box with the adjustment tool in it. Just adjusting the light will probably have to do for right now, as I'm busy the next few days and won't have time to search for that box before I leave for my trip on Saturday morning. 😕

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Plant
Tire Bicycle tire Crankset Bicycle handlebar Motor vehicle