BMW NineT Forum banner

What did you do to your R nineT today?

544K views 4K replies 414 participants last post by  Lelc2 
#1 ·
I know it's a cornball topic however this type of thread has been very entertaining and extremely informative on other forums. Our souped up NC Miata has multiple improvements, the ideas gleaned from a similar thread at miata.net, and the little tips gained over the years now seem essential. Obviously technical specifics should be posted in the appropriate forum however a general digest of daily tinkering or even that awesome ride you took today may inspire someone to expand their R nineT envelope.

So, today I installed the Ohlins Steering Damper. It almost seems like it's upside down but thats what the instructions show. Next was surveying the available real estate in the frame behind the steering head for the small Stebel Nautilus tooter that arrived today. Tight fit indeed if this is going to work. And finally, I stared at the bike for a long time as usual, with most of the constructive thoughts towards the next generation of my tail tidy (thanks again Marc Australia).

Hopefully tomorrow I can post that I took Li'l B for a long, long ride instead of just dinking with the bike.

#3,078 ·
Sorry for that - just looked upon your introducion thread

#3,082 ·
I agree, but having just purchased the bike and it happening on only the second ride by me, the loss of power / electrics stalling the bike rolling the throttle closed / bump starting rolling open, and no juice left when I thumbed the starter, lead me to begin by replacing the battery. The bike is a 2015 model on its original battery that has lived on a trickle-charger and it has only done 4,200 kilometres, which is 2,600 miles to us imperial folk, so it seemed a good place to start.

The new battery started the bike on the button, but the noise was horrendous and very mechanical. V-Belt / alternator are intact so far as I could see for the changing system to work and no burning / leaking of oil to report, so off to BMW she went. They thumbed the starter and said timing chain / rod.......verdict awaited once they split her open!

#3,081 ·
Today I got around to installing a few Rizoma goodies:
Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Wheel Tire

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

I had to replace my front Club indicators, one of the first pair was defective. I also put on the low fly screen. I used to have a knock-off of the high fly screen but it faded to brown really quick and I wasn't happy with my rattle can respray. I also like that this one just covers the instruments and cables.

I have to admit I felt a little silly adding an aftermarket oil filler cap. My bike is anything but a garage queen. I have no garage and commute daily so it tends to get dirty, but I figured a little blue accent here and there will go nicely with the blue on the TFX shock I'll be installing soon. 😁

#3,083 · (Edited)
I have to admit I felt a little silly adding an aftermarket oil filler cap. My bike is anything but a garage queen. I have no garage and commute daily so it tends to get dirty, but I figured a little blue accent here and there will go nicely with the blue on the TFX shock I'll be installing soon. 😁
Looking good!

There's nothing wrong with a little bling on a bike whose other mods are mainly functional. I couple years ago I bought a small Wunderlich "Paralever Pivot Cover," basically a small button that covers an open bolt hole on one side of the bike's frame. It was about $30 USD, and I also felt a little silly. But it looks nice and dresses up the bike a little. :)

#3,085 · (Edited)
I watered my bike thoroughly for about 170 miles. Procrastination guarantees precipitation.
Was a slow poke this morning, leaving Norfolk, Virginia to make it up to the Shenandoah Valley and could've stayed right ahead of the weather rolling in from the south, but my line of travel was parallel with the leading edge of the rain front. There is something peaceful once you've settled in and resigned yourself to a rainy ride.
I stopped in Gordonsville at a coffee shop for a quick cappuccino for about 15 minutes and the rain caught up but luckily I was able to ride out of it quickly after stripping all my rain gear down and having a talk with Mr. Sun. When I got to the cabin, it was downright hot, 80°F

#3,090 ·
So the Roofers blocked my garage door so I wasn't able to ride so I continued to attack my running light issue. I recently switched to bigger, more visible PIAA running (fog) lights. After mounting them up I was concerned they may wash out the OEM LED Turn Signals.
I looked around and found some nice replacements from Weiser Technik. I talked with Mark Atkins and ended up ordering a set of their much brighter single function turn signals. (Their multi-functions also act as running lights.)
I ordered the Bike Specific set with new stems with tinted lenses - front and rear. They are straight plug and play, cables use BMW connectors (BTW Blue +, Brown -). Installation was a piece of cake, just needed a few tywraps.
They are SIGNIFICANTLY brighter than the OEMs, the pictures don't do them justice. Better side visibility too.
They offer just the replacement LED Panels separately but the housings on mine (2022) were smaller and I believe they are sealed.

OEM
Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Leg Automotive lighting Wood Material property Gas
Wood Household hardware Tool Hardwood Electric blue
Purple Triangle Violet Pink Holiday ornament
Rectangle Font Electric blue Floppy disk Magenta
Wood Wire Cable Electric blue Fluid

#3,092 ·
Was unhappy with any Zumo Xt mounting options out there.. so decided to 3d print my own out of PETG.
The idea is it mounts on the 12mm crossbar (or windscreen bar) and sits as tight as possible to the bar to avoid any vibration/shaking.

Worked out the front today; and the Zumo Lock also fits in nicely. Tomorrow im printing the rear side with inserts for the nuts so they fall nicely into the entire design.

Oh and also working on a BMW keyhanger for someone.. (Still gotta remake the base with a biger loop and click/glue everything into place. That's why it's looking all crooked.. it's just laying on there.

#3,107 ·
Today I drained some oil from my R9T Pure. I overfilled it when I did my oil change a few weeks ago, and just discovered this after my ride last Saturday. It's not the first time, and unfortunately probably won't be the last. :(

By the way, when I was holding the drain bolt and letting some "black gold" drain out, the level in the sight glass (which had been at the top of the glass) did not move at all. After I had drained what I thought was probably enough, I tightened the bolt and started up the engine. I left it run for about 5 minutes, switched off the bike, and then laid back down on the garage floor to watch the glass. The oil level went up to 1/4" to 3/8" (about 6-10 mm) above the minimum line. That's a little low for my taste, especially knowing my bike will burn a little oil as I go, so I topped it off a bit so the level was just over halfway in the acceptable range in the sight glass.

So I guess the tip here is if you need to drain some oil from your bike, do a little at a time because the sight glass level doesn't go down when you're draining a little. If I'd had time I would have run the bike between draining a few ounces at a time so I wouldn't lose too much oil at a time, but I was on my lunch break and needed to get back to work.

#3,112 ·
Today I drained some oil from my R9T Pure. I overfilled it when I did my oil change a few weeks ago, and just discovered this after my ride last Saturday. It's not the first time, and unfortunately probably won't be the last. :(

By the way, when I was holding the drain bolt and letting some "black gold" drain out, the level in the sight glass (which had been at the top of the glass) did not move at all. After I had drained what I thought was probably enough, I tightened the bolt and started up the engine. I left it run for about 5 minutes, switched off the bike, and then laid back down on the garage floor to watch the glass. The oil level went up to 1/4" to 3/8" (about 6-10 mm) above the minimum line. That's a little low for my taste, especially knowing my bike will burn a little oil as I go, so I topped it off a bit so the level was just over halfway in the acceptable range in the sight glass.

So I guess the tip here is if you need to drain some oil from your bike, do a little at a time because the sight glass level doesn't go down when you're draining a little. If I'd had time I would have run the bike between draining a few ounces at a time so I wouldn't lose too much oil at a time, but I was on my lunch break and needed to get back to work.
I alternate between four quarts and eight pints every other oil change.

#3,109 ·
Added some bling in the form of top handlebar clamp. Unbranded part I found on ebay. Machined aluminum. Perfect fit. Ties in well with the gold pinstripes, and I was tired of looking at the boring OEM part. View attachment 163874
View attachment 163875
Looks good; but be careful with those Chinese parts. The quality control is not great (or none at all) in China; and you dont want a part like this breaking in half when going 60mph..
Me myself i would never put a critical part like this on (Same at levers/any other part that holds on something important). For tiny caps/bits it's great though.

Perhaps the Roland Sands part is a good alternative? If you want to go that route.

Call me over worried.. but i trust nothing that comes out of China with my life and it does not have the proper quality assurance from a big company.

#3,111 ·
The problem is not where it comes from.. it's the quality control.

BMW/Roland sands parts (Made on order by and for BMW) are made by certain safety standards / materials so they can withstand the forces and are reliable and safe to use on bikes.

The parts you buy from Aliexpress do not have these standards.. So you have no idea of their quality and how safe they are. Not all Aluminium is the same.

#3,115 ·
After some attempts I was able to achive my perfect choice. Very important follow same position. This mix of layers is perfect. Blue foam under net mesh, then black gel cushion and the last one covering all pack Sheep Skin. I am not very tall. I need to sit very close to gas-tank if I want ride erected and not get back pain. For this reason I focused in the thinner and narrowed part of seat close to gas tank. You will have to focus in the part you usually sit down.

Outerwear Hat Cap Comfort Grey

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Mesh Automotive lighting

Hand Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Window

#3,114 ·
It's been a while since I found an excuse to buy some bling for my bike.

2 things today ..
Installed air intake covers
I can't bring myself to pay £150+ for these, so got a pair for £30 from Aliexpress.
They're decorative, so not bothered buying the cheap alternative.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

A few weeks ago, after getting bike out of the garage for first time, I notice my Engine Cover has gone green!! What's that all about ? Bike is kept covered in a garage over the winter. Cover was installed 3 years ago. Bike is never ridden in the wet. I do about 2000 miles a year.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

Anyway - this was bought fromAliexpress originally ... so never has the cliche - "buy cheap - buy twice" been more true.
So I bought another one.. and installed that today. Not an easy job due to location of the top two screws.
Product Luggage and bags Bag Automotive lighting Grey

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Fuel tank Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

#3,127 ·

By far the most reliable way to mount lights i have found; am also using it.