BMW NineT Forum banner

What did you do to your R nineT today?

537K views 4K replies 411 participants last post by  PG46 
#1 ·
I know it's a cornball topic however this type of thread has been very entertaining and extremely informative on other forums. Our souped up NC Miata has multiple improvements, the ideas gleaned from a similar thread at miata.net, and the little tips gained over the years now seem essential. Obviously technical specifics should be posted in the appropriate forum however a general digest of daily tinkering or even that awesome ride you took today may inspire someone to expand their R nineT envelope.

So, today I installed the Ohlins Steering Damper. It almost seems like it's upside down but thats what the instructions show. Next was surveying the available real estate in the frame behind the steering head for the small Stebel Nautilus tooter that arrived today. Tight fit indeed if this is going to work. And finally, I stared at the bike for a long time as usual, with most of the constructive thoughts towards the next generation of my tail tidy (thanks again Marc Australia).

Hopefully tomorrow I can post that I took Li'l B for a long, long ride instead of just dinking with the bike.

#3 ·
I find these sort threads are annoying as PIA to find info in them. IMO rather post a new thread or add to a relevant existing thread. That way subjects are kept correctly categorized.

Reactions: jigsaw
#631 ·
I was just looking at KFM website for the parts, price has gone up a bit, but they are not shipping to the UK at the moment, Bugger.
any problems with cable length?
going to work today didn't want to fire up initially, i don't think it likes the cold, so maybe a battery monitor is first on the list, only been sat 5 days without being ridden!!

#9 ·
Well let’s see, I wiped her down head to foot. Polished her toe nails, combed her hair, picked out something sexy for her to wear.......... oh wait your talking about your bike. Well, I wiped her down head to foot, checked her oil, polished her bits an pieces, wiped all the bug bits off her face, checked her tire pressures, started her up and rev’ed her a bit ...and then just sat there staring at her ...sipping on my beer wishing this damn flu bug would run it’s course and let me ride again. I’m tired of sitting on my hands. The weather in Texas today was 83 degrees and clear sky’s.... damnit ! I should be UpOn2 not waiting on the flu ! Blitz

#12 ·
might be the 2 weeks isolating I had to do because of possible exposure at work ( hospital engineering), but I’ve fancied checking out a high fender on the Pure. So I made my own out of a Suzuki 250 rear I had in the garage, just had to make the bracket.
What d’ya think? Don’t worry, you’re allowed to trash it, I’m not sensitive haha! (or sick, tested neg, back to work tomorrow). Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire Car

#15 ·
might be the 2 weeks isolating I had to do because of possible exposure at work ( hospital engineering), but I’ve fancied checking out a high fender on the Pure. So I made my own out of a Suzuki 250 rear I had in the garage, just had to make the bracket.
What d’ya think? Don’t worry, you’re allowed to trash it, I’m not sensitive haha! (or sick, tested neg, back to work tomorrow). View attachment 130752
I dig it. Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
That's the BMW bag. They go for a lot more usually!
£200 new.
They're great bags as they have a moulded bottom to fit over the rear seat.

#26 ·
All three of my Are 9 Tee's sat there and laughed at me while I sanded and prepped the "barn Bike frame prior to painting it Turf Green. The Barn Bike is a 1969 R 69S that was abused to the point of engine seizing due to melted slingers. The really bad part was it happened in 1975 and the bike sat in a storage unit and then a barn until I rescued it (what was left) and began the resuscitation efforts.
Funny thing is that those laughing and resting 9Tee's will need a good bath and a thorough shake down ride when I get a chance.

#27 ·
All three of my Are 9 Tee's sat there and laughed at me while I sanded and prepped the "barn Bike frame prior to painting it Turf Green. The Barn Bike is a 1969 R 69S that was abused to the point of engine seizing due to melted slingers. The really bad part was it happened in 1975 and the bike sat in a storage unit and then a barn until I rescued it (what was left) and began the resuscitation efforts.
Funny thing is that those laughing and resting 9Tee's will need a good bath and a thorough shake down ride when I get a chance.
The Barn Bike the day I dragged it out of its slumber

Attachments

#33 ·
Finally worked up the ambition to grease lower final drive. 12000 miles but it really didn't need it. Bottle of wine for fortification to build up confidence and wine cork to plug speed sensor hole while unit was dropped. Also installed the booster plug sensor, all while waiting for fedx delivery of my new Trail Tail trailer extension

#34 ·
Mmmmm, Schlurp........I like your style @Weschmann. Hic.

Most I did to my R9 today was lift the cover to plug in the Optimate.

Can't wait til the lockdown restrictions are lifted so we can all get out on our bikes again and blow the cobwebs away.

#35 · (Edited)
Well, not today, but a coupe of weeks ago I had my 3rd year service done (including valve check), and put some new shoes on the bike. What a difference new tires can make! I now realize that the metzeler it came with were not great. Anyhow, the bike is ready to go for the season, and so am I. Virus or not, I am soon going on a solo, therapeutic, relaxing ride in the middle of nowhere!

#37 ·
Not entirely unconnected to the above pic (!) I attempted to fit the newly-arrived side-stand enlarger pad - beautifully-made, but alas it doesn't fit! Back it goes, only the second - or maybe third - of so many items, large and small, expensive and cheap, that I've bought over many years on the now-liberated E Bay. I don't expect any problems with receiving a full refund, but I do want to replace the item, so may I please have others' recommendations and/ or links to side-stand enlarger pads that have been found satisfactory for an R9T Roadster, '17 build. TIA...