BMW NineT Forum banner

201 - 220 of 223 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Hands down the best engine oil I've ever used on a motorcycle. My Scrambler's engine temps dropped 18-20 degrees on a hot day in heavy stop & go traffic.

Engine is superbly smooth and I was finally able to hit 140mph on my bike, where previously I maxed out at 130 mph, on a race track.

MOTUL 300V 15W-50

Double Ester, Full Synthetic

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Motul 15w50

Motul 15w50 with HiFlo oil filter. I change my oil every 3000 miles.:wavetowel2:
R9TRat,

Hey brother, I would stay away from HiFlo filters on a BMW bike.

HiFlo removes approximate 25%+ of internal filtering element to achieve the high oil flow rates:

Watch the video starting at 18:10

This makes the filter less effective than the OEM oil filter (MAHLE OC306) which is actually made for BMW by MAHLE. The MAHLE OC306 is also half the price on Amazon of the BMW oil filter.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hey brother, I would stay away from HiFlo filters on a BMW bike.
I've fitted hundreds and hundreds of Hi-Flo filters to both my own, and customer's bikes over the years, and never ever had one single problem.

Hi-Flo filters are the first and only TUV approved (German Standards Certification, arguably the highest on the planet) oil filter maker in the world, who print each individual filter with it's own unique serial number, so it's manufacture can be traced back should any problems arise....that's how confident they are in their products. They meet or exceed original equipment performance levels.

In that vid, the guy pulling the filter apart failed to notice that the metal centre tube had many more, and much larger, drain holes in it compared to the other filters.........probably that's why it's deemed to have high flow capabilities.

About two years ago I read in a UK bike magazine about some Triumph bikes suffering from oil starvation when non-genuine oil filters where being used. Just to be sure, I then subsequently purchased a genuine Triumph filter only to find it to be made in Poland, and of very poor quality in every respect, and not a patch on a Hi-Flo unit. If Triumph thought their own genuine branded filters were top quality then they'd be blown away by just how much better Hi-Flo are!!!

Saying that, I've no doubt that the Mahle filter is a quality item....but even that doesn't have German TUV approval.

Each to their own I guess.....but I have no qualms whatsoever about using Hi-Flo filters, or recommending them to others.

Just to keep this thread on topic.....I'm now using Castrol Power 1 (Semi-Synt) 15W-50 in my 9T.

I previously posted in this thread that my local dealer told me BMW no longer recommended Castrol, and now used Shell Oils instead, and that's what had been put in my bike at the service. Before the switch to Shell the bike never needed top up's between services, but since the change in oil brand, it's started to use oil. Coincidence....who know's??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Its a simple boxer engine an all it needs is regular oil changes, 15-40/50 or even 10 depending on the weather, semi or pure mineral, main thing is to change it regularly, top up now n then (its an oil head). Check the specs on the oil, SAE and all the rest.
Tip change the filter everytime you change the oil, minimal cost.

A diesel mechanic once told me, oil doesn't wear out, it just gets shitty and its the shit that does the damage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
By the way he was a demon mechanic, serviced everything from Caterpillers to helicopters so he knew what he was talking about, filter changes were A n O in his book..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Snake oil's
This is one of the major advantages with this engine, it's a dry sump engine, the clutch is dry and doesn't need any specific motorcycle oil to lubricate the clutch, regular engine oil depending on you're weather conditions, seldom you'll be red lining so just read between the lines in the handbook and choose an oil that meets the requirements, not the cheapest and not the most expensive, change the filter!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oil and weather, lower viscosity means if you intend riding in cold weather then you want an oil with a low viscosity, easier to start, not thick as syrap, save you're battery crank capacity, warm up fast and lubricate effeciently.
Remember the chill factor, its an air cooled engine, 5-10 degrees C will mean 0 or colder with a wind chill factor, making you're oil thicker and less lubricative.
In hot weather a thicker oil is more advantagous, it will become thinner at higher temps.

All this said, this b or any bike or any other air cooled is not the optimal for hot weather town riding in this day and age (especially in Germany where they havn't discovered roundabouts) too many stop starts in heavily trafficked towns will result in a very tired bike, believe me I've had it on numerous occasions with oil heads.
So stear clear of traffic or bust through it at you're own risk.

You wanna ride thinking " my engine is well oiled" you can see it flowing around the heads and throbbing like a heart, doin its job....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oil Transmission Gear Shaft Transmission Oil
Use MIRAGE 4T 10W50 MA full synthetic or 15W50 semi synthetic
Gearbox uses Total 75W90 synthetic oil

·
Registered
370 Posts
shudders

:crying:

Why does Fosters even exist? They must make their money selling it overseas...

Honestly, I haven't known anyone who drinks it - even after nearly 20 years in the Army drinking in a lot of strange places with a lot of strange people.
They sell Fosters in what looks like an oil can size from the 60’s here in Big D or at least they did a few months ago. I’m still getting over that hangover. Cheers
As for the oil debate, I’m running a full synthetic Mobil 1 5/30 in the winter and 10/50 in the summer. No problems and I’ve used that in every moto I’ve owned since Mobile 1 appeared as one of the original synthetics in 1974. ( 6 bikes, I think) I have only praise for the product. That included a 1961 Austin Healey Mk5, a 1964 XKE Jag and a 1971 Triumph GT6 all ran on Mobile 1. The only thing I wouldn’t recommend is an engine that’s leaking oil because that can get expensive. Like my old HD.

·
Registered
176 Posts
H
They sell Fosters in what looks like an oil can size from the 60’s here in Big D or at least they did a few months ago. I’m still getting over that hangover. Cheers
As for the oil debate, I’m running a full synthetic Mobil 1 5/30 in the winter and 10/50 in the summer. No problems and I’ve used that in every moto I’ve owned since Mobile 1 appeared as one of the original synthetics in 1974. ( 6 bikes, I think) I have only praise for the product. That included a 1961 Austin Healey Mk5, a 1964 XKE Jag and a 1971 Triumph GT6 all ran on Mobile 1. The only thing I wouldn’t recommend is an engine that’s leaking oil because that can get expensive. Like my old HD.
i BlitzSchnell,
So, I take it you don’t believe those people who say fully synthetic will leak from the engine seal because its molecules are so tiny they can get where semi synth. ones can’t?

I needed oil yesterday so called my nearest stockist (Kwaka dealer) and asked what they had, he said full synthetic and semi. He suggested semi unless it was for racing, then added...if you’re not sure call BMW.
When I arrived at the shop there was 3 GS riders there, (One looking to change to a Klapasaki) so I asked one rider which oil they used, he said, well, it’s a bit of an industrial engine so any oils at all will do just fine, but we use Semi Synthetic.No need for Full Synth.
Just his opinion, I know. I bought Motul 15/50.
Cheers, Ken.
PS. My bike has done 2300 miles and in the 800 I’ve done since getting it, it has used from 3/4 up the window down to slightly above the lower line of the circle.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ken, now that you mention it I’m not sure what Mobile 1 is, fully synth or a mix. Fact is since I started using it long ago they didn’t make a mix, unless that’s what was originally introduced (a mix) . I think it’s fully synth. These days I might add maybe a 1/2 cup every month to 5 weeks. I’ve learned to use my phone to take a movie of my oil sight window while I’m sitting on the bike holding it center up, maybe rocking slightly to make sure I’m vertical, then I watch the vid to see how she’s doing. I check pretty throughly for leaks and so far I have none, but the cases and seals have never been broken, still factory sealed. I had a HD and I may as well have been dumping the oil directly on the ground. This German girl makes me happy in sooo many ways ! She’s a real bikers bike, not an American or Japanese toy. English, German and some Italian motos are the best ever two wheeled machines and this one is number 14. I buy them and ride till it’s worn out. We get to know one another really well before I buy another. This one will probably be my last ride and I’m so in love with her. I can tell I could really count on her when things get rough. That confidence is such a comfort ever time I mount her. StayUpOn2 my friend !

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi BlitzSchnell,
I’ve googled myself silly and concluded that full synthetic is best, contrary to what a lot seem to think.
As I’ve already bought semi I will use it, but, at next oil/ filter change I think I’ll go fully synth.
Thanks for your input mate.
Ken.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The Motul 15/50 Semi Synth I bought yesterday was £11 per litre from motorcycle shop.
I went there as local motorists spares shop said ‘We don’t sell it, try a motorbike shop’.
Anyway, went back to local motorists shop to ask if they had Duragloss Aquawax, never heard of it.
While there I saw the owner and asked him about 15/50 Full Synthetic, he said he didn’t sell it but would get some, he phone a supplier and then told me it was £35 for 5 litres.
Much better price than the semi from bike shop, so I pick some up to morrow.
Cheers, Ken.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You won’t be disappointed...just keep a vigilant eye on that sight glass. I carry a extra pint on board so she’s always topped off and happy. Synthetic takes a lot more heat and abuse. StayUpOn2 Ken.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Picked up my 4 (Thought it gonna be 5) litre 15/50 oil today, nothing on the container to designate it Full Synth. Shop said it came up on their comp. screen as FS.
After googling I think there isn’t a 15/50 Full Synth. and will have to go to 10/40 for FS.
Waiting for shop to come back with their findings.
Ken.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Picked up my 4 (Thought it gonna be 5) litre 15/50 oil today, nothing on the container to designate it Full Synth. Shop said it came up on their comp. screen as FS.
After googling I think there isn’t a 15/50 Full Synth. and will have to go to 10/40 for FS.
Waiting for shop to come back with their findings.
Ken.
I ride in Texas heat all summer and our winters in Dallas are usually pretty mild. In the winter I use
a 5W-30 because I think it’s better in cold starts. I usually let the bike run idle for 2 full minutes before putting under load. In the summer I run a bit heavier weight like 10W-40. Lookup Mobile 1 on the internet, there is even a full synthetic specifically for 4 cycle twin cylinder engines. Loads of information about synth oil so you’ll get the full Monty. Then your decision will make sense. If for some reason you can’t find what you want let me know in a PM and we’ll find a way to get you what you want. Good hunting. Let me know how it goes. Blitz-out ✌

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi,
Shop agreed, they sold me semi as full, but not deliberate. I know them well and accept that.
Said to to take semi back and they would get full synth.
Told ‘em I’d keep it and use it. Perhaps go Full Synth when next service interval.
Thanks for advice and offers.
Cheers, Ken.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I stick with the BMW Motorrad oil. Granted I do not live in an area where there are extremes in terms of temperatures, so the gains achieved by using other fanciers oils are too marginal for me to risk warranty cover in case of engine issues.

201 - 220 of 223 Posts