BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Classic
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by a thread from Oiertxu exploring the possibility of carrying a bicycle on the nine T, I’d love to hear stories about the practical uses we’ve put our bikes too slightly outside the norm. To kick things off, desperate to get out on my bike during the first lockdown I made an essential journey for the groceries….

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
415 Posts
I deliver Pizza!!!

(Just joking...)

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,501 Posts
The only unusual thing I've carried on my R9T so far is my trumpet. (Sorry, no photo.) I'm a musician on the side, and I like to ride my motorcycle to rehearsals when possible - and even to an actual gig (performance) if possible. I have a Protec brand single-trumpet case that has a wooden shell for the case, and padding around it. It straps down easily to the bike. I did this many times with my old VFR 800, and I've continued this with my BMW.

I've not done it on the R9T yet, but I did carry a new tire on my VFR a couple times, strapped down to the rear seat behind me. Awkward but doable.

·
Registered
2015 Classic
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only unusual thing I've carried on my R9T so far is my trumpet. (Sorry, no photo.) I'm a musician on the side, and I like to ride my motorcycle to rehearsals when possible - and even to an actual gig (performance) if possible. I have a Protec brand single-trumpet case that has a wooden shell for the case, and padding around it. It straps down easily to the bike. I did this many times with my old VFR 800, and I've continued this with my BMW.

I've not done it on the R9T yet, but I did carry a new tire on my VFR a couple times, strapped down to the rear seat behind me. Awkward but doable.
Definitely need a pic of the trumpet when you do strap it to the nine T Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice to see that mount! It looks like a homemade piece, is it? Wooden maken? I really don't have the balls to do such a nice mount... 😅
Hi. Yes I made it out of wood to see how it went, and then was going to weld up an aluminium one but it has worked great so haven’t seen the need to. I’ve carried a number of bikes on it. Road, Mountain and even my grandsons smaller mountain bike.
i did it so most of the bike and wheels is tucked in behind me, like a pillion, and therefor not out in the slipstream or exposed to crosswinds. I take the seat off so it doesn’t hide the number plate and that goes in my backpack with my gear. The bottom 18mm plywood platform uses the 4 mounting bolts under the pillion seat. Obviously longer bolts. Takes a couple of minutes to swap out. Very happy. Good luck if you give it a go.
Cheers
Warwick

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,501 Posts
Mountain bike. Furthest I’ve carried it 400kms and it’s never caused any problems even in a cross wind. And it’s within the legal overhang here.
I bet you get some interesting looks from other folks on the road! :)

·
Registered
R9teees
345 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Classic
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mountain bike. Furthest I’ve carried it 400kms and it’s never caused any problems even in a cross wind. And it’s within the legal overhang here. View attachment 146156
That’s a great design Kvort - looks way more stable and compact than the commercial options I’ve seen. I bet there’s a nice niche market waiting for you …..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts