BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Prambler
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon. I remember when my riding suit consisted of blue jeans, white t-shirt, and tennis shoes. As I've aged I've either become smarter or wimpier. It's still the blue jeans, but now we have riding boots, leather gloves and a Dainese jacket. I'm looking at doing some long distance touring this coming year, and now in my mid-sixties, I think I'd like to find a riding suit with a bit more protection, from rain, scrapes, cold, etc. I'm always seeing images like this on the internet (see internet image linked to below):

And although I'm not sold on this particular suit, I'm wondering what you all wear when you do long distance touring (like 2000-4000 mile round trips). I think a two piece suit might be more my style. Any recommendations?

Thanks for any and all input.

Best,
-Tim

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,581 Posts
My regular riding attire is a full-face helmet, textile jacket with armor in the shoulders and elbows, leather gloves, normal blue jeans, and over-the-ankle hiking boots. Definitely not ATGATT, but reasonable. This year I'll finally buy some actual riding pants or riding jeans for a little more protection.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,875 Posts
For touring, I have a two-piece suit that looks similar to that, from the Alpinestars Tech-Touring range.
Very comfortable and adaptable with warm and waterproof liners and adjustable mesh vents front and back.
I feel the included knee/elbow/shoulder protection is adequate, but I also wear a separate back protector underneath.
I do think leather one and two piece is best for quick trips, but for the long haul these textile products are very comfortable.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would look for a textile jacket that comes with back, shoulder and elbow armor. The jacket should have zips front and back to aid in ventilation and a zip in liner. The textile pants should have knee armor and full length leg zippers to make it easier to put on and pull off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
G'Day,

I have a Klim Latitude suit for touring duties. Waterproof and lots of vents for summer. I'm not big on liners, they take time to put in and extra space. I also have an older BMW Rally Pro suit which I really like for off-road duties, but it uses liners. They work well once they are in and also keeps the cold at bay. An excellent winter touring suit.

Pete

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
+1 for Aerostich. It's the best suit in the world, and i think i have had them all. I have had the BMW gear you posted up top, plus the Atlantis suit, Dainese and Alpinestars full leathers tracksuits, as well as 2-pieces from both, a Held 2-piece suit for winter and the Klim 2-piece for summer, and I have the new Rukka Merlin suit -- IMO the best 2-piece, waterproof Gore-Tex leathers available.

None feel as easy, practical or as protective (from the elements as well as the road) as the Aerostich Roadcrafter. I have the R3 and the Cousin Jeremy 1-piece, the latter being my absolute favorite. They also make a 2-piece version.

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
410 Posts
This is me, Arai QVPro full face, BMW 2018 Sport leather (thick!) NPL2 armoured jacket, BMW 2018 FivePocket jeans with hip and knee NPL2 protectors, BMW Urban boots and BMW 2018 DoubleR leather gloves with titanium knuckles.

When I feel daring (groceries trip), I use a BMW 2020 Club Special 719 leather NPL2 armoured jacket, BMW Bowler open face helmet and BMW 2020 Summer leather gloves and normal jeans and sneakers.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Not really a suit - I’ve been very comfortable and quite happy with how I look (the real important factor) with Ugly Brothers Ton-Up jeans - fleece lined and armored in the knees and hips. Matched with whatever jacket I’ve decided to use, boots, and so on.

I own two pair from Ugly Bros and they’ve both been super comfy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have an Aerostich Road Crafter which I bought new around 14 years ago so it doesn't owe me anything. It cost me £400 including important taxes (which were about a fifth of the price). I think they are a lot more now due to exchange rates. Brilliant piece of kit especially for commuting - you wear your normal clothes underneath and just step out of it. I have 2 piece leathers as well and 2 piece textiles but for all round use the Aerostich is a hard act to follow.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Many years ago I invested in a 2 piece BMW Atlantis Suit for all weather touring, though the jacket works very well with a pair of riding jeans. The fit is fairly slim, BMW branding is very subtle and includes NP2 armour in the back, elbow and shoulder (jacket) as well as knee, hip and coccyx (trousers). The material is Nubuck leather which is very water repellent (I carry a separate lightweight hi-vis kagool for torrential weather) and soft to the touch. The leather is sourced in the Alpine regions of Germany and the suit is fabricated in Bosnia (or at least mine was). Also have the gloves to match.

Must admit that the BMW DoubleR jacket caught my eye last time I popped into a dealer...

PS: And no, I do not work or am any way affiliated with BMW Motorrad; just a fan of their products 😎

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
320 Posts
Many years ago I invested in a 2 piece BMW Atlantis Suit for all weather touring, though the jacket works very well with a pair of riding jeans. The fit is fairly slim, BMW branding is very subtle and includes NP2 armour in the back, elbow and shoulder (jacket) as well as knee, hip and coccyx (trousers). The material is Nubuck leather which is very water repellent (I carry a separate lightweight hi-vis kagool for torrential weather) and soft to the touch. The leather is sourced in the Alpine regions of Germany and the suit is fabricated in Bosnia (or at least mine was). Also have the gloves to match.

View attachment 141713
Must admit that the BMW DoubleR jacket caught my eye last time I popped into a dealer...
View attachment 141714
PS: And no, I do not work or am any way affiliated with BMW Motorrad; just a fan of their products 😎
I have suits from 2002, more than 100000km and stitching still good and zips still work.😁

·
Registered
312 Posts
+1 for Aerostich. It's the best suit in the world, and i think i have had them all. I have had the BMW gear you posted up top, plus the Atlantis suit, Dainese and Alpinestars full leathers tracksuits, as well as 2-pieces from both, a Held 2-piece suit for winter and the Klim 2-piece for summer, and I have the new Rukka Merlin suit -- IMO the best 2-piece, waterproof Gore-Tex leathers available.

None feel as easy, practical or as protective (from the elements as well as the road) as the Aerostich Roadcrafter. I have the R3 and the Cousin Jeremy 1-piece, the latter being my absolute favorite. They also make a 2-piece version.

View attachment 141693
I am very interested in this suit (one piece Jeremy). Do you find it good in blocking the cold? I am looking for something I can wear over my office clothes that can also keep me warm. Thank you for any info you can share on this suit MattMiller 1973!

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
320 Posts
I am very interested in this suit (one piece Jeremy). Do you find it good in blocking the cold? I am looking for something I can wear over my office clothes that can also keep me warm. Thank you for any info you can share on this suit MattMiller 1973!
There is an international quality standard rating, at some point I looked at it as often I would buy one brand and pay more than can be justified to the wife. I have however learned over time that you get what you pay for and checked up on quality when purchasing. I note that the Rally suit from BMW and the Klim suit as wel as the Touratech Rallye suits are all very similarly priced and very expensive, but of a similar quality rating. A friend of mine has the same Rallye suit since 2006 and that suit is still good after 200 000km. Same with Klim and Touratech. I have a one piece suit from BMW and like all textile suits with goretex it is not really waterproof in heavy rain. You do have the convenience of wearing a suit underneath and just taking it off and putting on working/day shoes. It can be very hot in slow traffic in temperatures of more than 25 degrees. On shorter distances it is a bit of a nuisance. It gives good protection although very expensive. I suppose you need to play around with protection suits and decide what works for you. I also have a BMW pair of "jeans" that I wear casually all day. I find my Rally suit better suited for longer distance travelling than other textiles like jeans. I have one leather jacket that I got to like a lot and generally can recommend good leather equipment. When I do dusty roads the Rallye is better. Hot weather allows me to use an airflow or similar suits. Unfortunately we do not have a lot of choice in relation to brand availibilty as local Riders are not keen to spend big bucks on clothing as the local culture in respect of protective clothing is bit controversial , well let us say it is frowned upon by some riders to spend money on clothing and quite often in summer you see riders on Fireblades with just a T-shirt, shorts and slops. Personally I have seen the advantages of a good suit and wear protection all the time. There are a lot of suggestions and personal experiences, play a bit and share with us.

·
Registered
Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, Nine T Scrambler soon
95 Posts
I'm always wearing full gear, Icon Raiden DKR jacket, Rev'it enterprise or airflow pants, Icon Elsinore boots and Rev'it Sand/Kryptonite gloves.
I alternate depending of the season and weather.

·
Registered
2017 R9T Classic
116 Posts
I have a number of combinations but no suits, too hard to get on. Not sure you could find something not overly bulky to fit over office wear. In the cold I wear Alpinestars Andes jacket and pants with a base and mid layer tops and thermal bottoms. That's bulky enough for me, I pack jeans and what not in my saddle bags and change at work.

Most pants and jackets like this will allow you to zip them together.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts