BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
There is an international quality standard rating, at some point I looked at it as often I would buy one brand and pay more than can be justified to the wife. I have however learned over time that you get what you pay for and checked up on quality when purchasing. I note that the Rally suit from BMW and the Klim suit as wel as the Touratech Rallye suits are all very similarly priced and very expensive, but of a similar quality rating. A friend of mine has the same Rallye suit since 2006 and that suit is still good after 200 000km. Same with Klim and Touratech. I have a one piece suit from BMW and like all textile suits with goretex it is not really waterproof in heavy rain. You do have the convenience of wearing a suit underneath and just taking it off and putting on working/day shoes. It can be very hot in slow traffic in temperatures of more than 25 degrees. On shorter distances it is a bit of a nuisance. It gives good protection although very expensive. I suppose you need to play around with protection suits and decide what works for you. I also have a BMW pair of "jeans" that I wear casually all day. I find my Rally suit better suited for longer distance travelling than other textiles like jeans. I have one leather jacket that I got to like a lot and generally can recommend good leather equipment. When I do dusty roads the Rallye is better. Hot weather allows me to use an airflow or similar suits. Unfortunately we do not have a lot of choice in relation to brand availibilty as local Riders are not keen to spend big bucks on clothing as the local culture in respect of protective clothing is bit controversial , well let us say it is frowned upon by some riders to spend money on clothing and quite often in summer you see riders on Fireblades with just a T-shirt, shorts and slops. Personally I have seen the advantages of a good suit and wear protection all the time. There are a lot of suggestions and personal experiences, play a bit and share with us.
Thank you for your feedback, JohnaH. Klim and Touratech are brands that keep popping up due to their reputation, and I agree with you that you get what you pay for. The Cousin Jeremy suit by Aerostich is the one suit that I can see myself using. Since these suits are north of a grand, I want to make sure it fits my needs before I end up with an expensive pair of overalls for yard work! I would like to use my 9T more regularly to commute, however since I am not a big fan of riding in temps below 48F (perhaps I deserve to be ridiculed here, but what can I say..I just do not like cold weather), I need a good suit that allows me to keep a clean shirt and stay relatively warm while riding. Bulk is indeed an issue with this approach, as @GenericUser1 mentioned, and that is why I am looking for a one piece suit that has a bit of insulation that can get the job done.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I mix differents parts of suits. Trousers are leather. Jacket is textile. Dainese back protector including lumbar belt. Gloves. Boots. Modular helmet. Also in my saddlebag there is a rainsuit (2 pieces).
I do need to get a rain suit ASAP. As for mixing, I have done this as well, mixing my Rev It leather jacket (love it!) with BMW Gore-Tex pants. However, I think a one piece suit will do a better job in keeping me more insulated . Plus I like the idea of slipping out of the suit and have my work clothes on already...ready to go! Perhaps I am asking for too much!

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
324 Posts
We all have our likes and dislikes and when commuting, I dislike rain, simply because of poor visibility and road coditions. Cold itself is not an issue if it does not rain. When it comes down to waterproof, well the Goretex works for a while in light rain, for heavy rain and commuting the one piece or two piece plastic works well over the safety clothes. After a while even those suits start leaking.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I do need to get a rain suit ASAP. As for mixing, I have done this as well, mixing my Rev It leather jacket (love it!) with BMW Gore-Tex pants. However, I think a one piece suit will do a better job in keeping me more insulated . Plus I like the idea of slipping out of the suit and have my work clothes on already...ready to go! Perhaps I am asking for too much!
Well . When travelling I prefer lots of pockets in my jacket (money phone toll ticket etc) but also protection in case of fall. For this reason I choose leather (harder than textile) for trousers (legs and bottom are usually more affected due to abrasion) but textile jacket (more pockets than leather jacket) including hard back protector. Modular helmet more comfortable. You need drink. Scratch your face. Spit. Blow snot. ask something to somebody...while paying in gas station (queue) and it is hot etc it is easier. You only need open helmet not take it off.

Respect rain suit. one piece is more insulated but not easier to put on. Here rains very few so I don't need very good one.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
As long as it is a trusted brand. Believe me it makes a difference when you need it.
If I was going to get a one piece suit for long distance riding I would look at the brand Klim. I have a mesh hot weather jacket by them and I’m impressed by the quality, fit and finish.

·
Registered
2017 Prambler
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
As the OP, here's what I ended up doing. I've had a Dainese Air Frame D1 jacket for about a decade now, and I found a pair of Dainese New Drake Air Textile Pants that zip together with the jacket and it works well. As an oldster, I find myself riding in the warmer months more so than the cooler months, so the Dainese D-Air riding gear works well. When I do happen to be out on a cool morning, I'll throw my BMW rain shell over the jacket as opposed to using the zip in liner, as the liner always feels clingy to my skin.

Best,
-Tim

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well . When travelling I prefer lots of pockets in my jacket (money phone toll ticket etc) but also protection in case of fall. For this reason I choose leather (harder than textile) for trousers (legs and bottom are usually more affected due to abrasion) but textile jacket (more pockets than leather jacket) including hard back protector. Modular helmet more comfortable. You need drink. Scratch your face. Spit. Blow snot. ask something to somebody...while paying in gas station (queue) and it is hot etc it is easier. You only need open helmet not take it off.

Respect rain suit. one piece is more insulated but not easier to put on. Here rains very few so I don't need very good one.
Your point is well taken, Lecl2. I agree that a one piece has its drawbacks. I also have a modular helmet for the reason you listed plus I wear glasses so a modular makes it easier to deal with them. As for rain, I grew up in the Mediterranean (Rome) so I know what weather you are used to and I envy you!! (I now live in Seattle where it rains quite more and I have turned as pale as death ;)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts