BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check the picture gentlemen and tell me if you know what is the device shown by the blue arrow and what’s inside it, is it hollow ? I think it has something to do with the intake filter because there seems to be a connection to the intake shown with the red arrow. It’s a corridor or path for something I think. Does anyone know or even speculate. I’d like to believe “they” .. (there’s one on each side of the battery) .. are just there to keep the battery in place but knowing about German engineering I’m sure they are of some significance. I bought a Gorilla Alarm and I need some tiny space to mount the siren or piezo horn and I’d love to carve up one side or the other and countersink mount that horn. What is that “wall” and is it important ? Thanks .....Blitz

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Those appear to be connected to the airbox and look at least semi-functional -- i don't know for sure, i just watched an airbox-delete video and the whole thing is one piece, including those. The good news is, after the delete they are gone, and there would be so much room for activities! or for your horns. Check it out: Pier City Custom BMW R9T Air Box Removal Kit without Carbon Cover

·
Administrator
12,302 Posts
Is it not just a reinforced piece of plastic to hold the battery in case it comes loose from it's retaining strap? Or perhaps just to hide the battery but shaped to make it look at least a little interesting? Not sure to be honest and never really thought about it till now...

Reactions: BlitzSchnell

·
Registered
309 Posts
I also wondered this on my bike..

One evening i was walking in my garden en heard something at my bike.. What can this be?.. it must be something living inside those hollow things next to the battery on my bike.

I tried knocking on it, whispering to it and i tried to lure out potential inhabitants with a piece of cheese. Sadly no response.

My conclusion; it's a glorified piece of plastic.

·
Registered
2017 RNINET
540 Posts
Didn't someone just cut their air box out to install a titanium piece in place of? maybe they could say. I think it is hollow and intended to hold battery from sliding.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree with above comments.
Connected on the upper right rear corner. The shape suggests structural reinforcement with incorporated aesthetics. It appears that it also could function as a battery hide and secondary retainer.

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
391 Posts
What is that “wall” and is it important?
Germans built that wall, they are good at that, remember? And No, walls are not important. They don’t even work😂 🤘

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow... that was a joy to wake up too... what a bunch of cut up’s. A good cup of coffee and laughing out LOUD, great way to start the day. Very creative. My favorites... turbo encabulator and blinker fluid ! It’s my own fault, I ask the experts and I get comedians !!! What a bunch of cut- ups. It’s a shame you all are so far away I’d love to buy you a pint and laugh the afternoon away. Time well spent. Thanks fellas. I think I’m going to take MattMillers suggestion and do an air-box-ectomy. My only reluctance is the open paper filters are so vulnerable to the rain. You guys have any input on external paper filters, pros and cons.... I’m going to do it ! ...how about any do’s and dont’s ? I started thinking the last time I had to ride in the rain was years ago .... so what am I so worried about ....
Besides, it looks so damn cool ! Right ? Any down sides to external carb filters fellas ? .......Blitz

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
391 Posts
@BlitzSchnell my buddy, I would think long and hard about that operation, there are some good threads on this. Not only the disimprovement in performance, but the complete and utter mess it takes to have to basically destroy the entire box with drills, hammer and brute force would definitely keep me from doing that. It’s summer in TX, man, just enjoy the rides!

·
Registered
512 Posts
@BlitzSchnell my buddy, I would think long and hard about that operation, there are some good threads on this. Not only the disimprovement in performance, but the complete and utter mess it takes to have to basically destroy the entire box with drills, hammer and brute force would definitely keep me from doing that. It’s summer in TX, man, just enjoy the rides!
+1 for Norbi's comment.

If "looks" are a priority, then go for it.
If "performance" supersedes the "appearance", then spend the cash on a ECU tune and leave the air intake as-is.

Some have gone for the external filters and kept the bike ride-able, but it is not just a simple "chop" job.

BTW, that piece of plastic is part of the stock air intake structure.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
+1 for Norbi's comment.

If "looks" are a priority, then go for it.
If "performance" supersedes the "appearance", then spend the cash on a ECU tune and leave the air intake as-is.

Some have gone for the external filters and kept the bike ride-able, but it is not just a simple "chop" job.

BTW, that piece of plastic is part of the stock air intake structure.
If it’s part of the intake structure Chris, is there anything inside the wall, in the hollow? I’m looking for a small space to install an alarm horn. Would it hurt the intake system to carefully modify one of the walls by cutting into one side to gain just a bit of space (depth)? Is the space inside the walls just a hollow or is it a cavity used for some kind of air flow ? Is it dead space or does it serve some purpose other than a double wall for structural integrity ? Thanks ..........Blitz

·
Registered
309 Posts
Perhaps you could mount side panels?

They can be found quite cheap.. but there's also nicer ones from Wunderlich for example.
You could then maybe mount the alarm horn behind that?

Or from pier city costums

·
Registered
512 Posts
Chris (preceeding post) has a good suggestion i.e. mount side panels and install the alarm horn behind one of these.

Without closer inspection or access to technical drawings, I am guessing that those plastic pieces are shaped the way they are for manufacturing and structural convenience. I find it hard to believe that their shape/volume is crucial for air-flow.

If push comes to shove, then I would go ahead and modify the plastic with the caveat that the air-flow path way remains sealed

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Chris (preceeding post) has a good suggestion i.e. mount side panels and install the alarm horn behind one of these.

Without closer inspection or access to technical drawings, I am guessing that those plastic pieces are shaped the way they are for manufacturing and structural convenience. I find it hard to believe that their shape/volume is crucial for air-flow.

If push comes to shove, then I would go ahead and modify the plastic with the caveat that the air-flow path way remains sealed
Wow ... that is a great idea Chris, thanks. I like the look too. I’ll post Picts when complete. I’m holding off on the air-box-ectomy, the consensus is 👎🏻 so that’s a no go. .....thanks Chris for your time and suggestions. I’ll be shopping Wunderlich later today. ......Blitz

Reactions: Chris.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts