BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Urban GS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first of a long string of silly questions, but the last GS I owned was 10 years ago so I have a lot to catch up.
What is this cylindrical thing next
to the rear shock?
Automotive tire Camera lens Motor vehicle Cameras & optics Gas

·
Registered
345 Posts
A lot of owners remove them due to potential problems they tend to cause when they age a little. It's one of those designs that get the machine through various emission rules at the factory gate but tend to actually cause more emissions with age. I removed mine. There are two types on the R9T, the early one then another design about 2018. You may find a thread on this elsewhere on this forum.:cool:

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
611 Posts
There are two types on the R9T, the early one then another design about 2018
This is the 2017+ design. The first and most obvious giveaway is the rear shock with the traditional collars for preload. This style suspension was only available on 2017+ submodels (the Classic has a knob adjuster). The other giveaway is that the relays are mounted next to the cannister.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Actually that shock is a Wilbers, so I couldn't say if the bike was pre or post the change, and I cant remember what my charcoal can looked like, last I saw of it was a week after I bought the bike, sitting in my w/shop garbage bin.

·
Registered
711 Posts
A lot of owners remove them due to potential problems they tend to cause when they age a little. It's one of those designs that get the machine through various emission rules at the factory gate but tend to actually cause more emissions with age. I removed mine. There are two types on the R9T, the early one then another design about 2018. You may find a thread on this elsewhere on this forum.:cool:
Do you some source for the claim they cause more emissions with age or that they cause problems?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Do you some source for the claim they cause more emissions with age or that they cause problems?
From what I’ve read Gris it is in direct relation to how often you over fill your tank. When you open your gas cap, see the little holes around the fill neck? These lead directly to that canister. Other than laying your bike down on its side …. Or over filling your tank at the pump it’s real hard to put raw fuel in the canister, Sometimes on a very full tank on a very hot day the expanding contents of the tank, if very full .. can push raw fuel into a canister that should only be used to contain vapors. This liquid fuel can aid in the break down of the material in the canister, I believe it to be small granulated activated charcoal. All around not good ….
So since it an emissions device, depending on how strict your state or country is … remove it or be very careful when your filling up…don’t over fill the tank. I’m sure other riders will have other information to add ………Blitz

Reactions: gristle

·
Registered
711 Posts
From what I’ve read Gris it is in direct relation to how often you over fill your tank. When you open your gas cap, see the little holes around the fill neck? These lead directly to that canister. Other than laying your bike down on its side …. Or over filling your tank at the pump it’s real hard to put raw fuel in the canister, Sometimes on a very full tank on a very hot day the expanding contents of the tank, if very full .. can push raw fuel into a canister that should only be used to contain vapors. This liquid fuel can aid in the break down of the material in the canister, I believe it to be small granulated activated charcoal. All around not good ….
So since it an emissions device, depending on how strict your state or country is … remove it or be very careful when your filling up…don’t over fill the tank. I’m sure other riders will have other information to add ………Blitz
They can certainly fail, and if they do fail, they can, depending on the circumstances, impact the engine's running. But so can so many other things. I'm hard pressed to think of a time that someone's charcoal canister did anything but die after being abused (over filled, tipped over, etc). If they do fail, it's not hard to diagnose and the chances of doing actual damage seem exceedingly slim. They usually just keep functioning just fine for years upon years. They're ugly, but not nearly as ugly as most riders. 😀

If there's some good date available showing that they're an ongoing source of problems, I'll believe it. But in the decades of skimming canister threads, I've never seen it. But I make no claims to being omniscient. Now, final drives and fuel pumps and ignition key modules and... so many other things. Yes. Those can definitely bring the suck.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
They can certainly fail, and if they do fail, they can, depending on the circumstances, impact the engine's running. But so can so many other things. I'm hard pressed to think of a time that someone's charcoal canister did anything but die after being abused (over filled, tipped over, etc). If they do fail, it's not hard to diagnose and the chances of doing actual damage seem exceedingly slim. They usually just keep functioning just fine for years upon years. They're ugly, but not nearly as ugly as most riders. 😀

If there's some good date available showing that they're an ongoing source of problems, I'll believe it. But in the decades of skimming canister threads, I've never seen it. But I make no claims to being omniscient. Now, final drives and fuel pumps and ignition key modules and... so many other things. Yes. Those can definitely bring the suck.
I think (as I recall it) Gris there’s a video out there, YouTube I believe where a certified BMW mechanic complained and explained the broken down particles in the canister can be drawn back up into the gas tank (as vapor is supposed to) mix with the gas in the tank as tiny suspended particles, easily sift right through the strainer in the bottom of the tank and get pumped in the carbs … There in lies the beginning of the problems, it will plug the jets up with crap affecting performance or clog them altogether so it won’t run at all. Also what small material is sucked into the cylinder is charcoal, carbon particles and microscopically in particle form is tough stuff .. ie. Carbon etc … it will really mess up the coating on the cylinders and destroy the rings pretty quick ….. the explanation was sound and the logic strong … I still have mine on but I am very careful at the pump. I’ve removed it a half-dozen times during prep for long trips and examined it to determine its mechanical method and I’ve never found any liquid in it. Google the topic or search YouTube for the topic, I’m sure it will show up ………Blitz

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mr Blitz, thank you, you have saved me the time in writing a similar response to Mr Gristle's query. Its a little in the category of the exhaust flapper vale, do they cause a problem? answer is they can, so I removed the flapper and the charcoal can so as to eliminate a potential problem which may never have occurred but now I know that it wont. I'm strongly into preventative maintenance , 40 years working on aircraft will do that to you!:cool:

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Mr Blitz, thank you, you have saved me the time in writing a similar response to Mr Gristle's query. Its a little in the category of the exhaust flapper vale, do they cause a problem? answer is they can, so I removed the flapper and the charcoal can so as to eliminate a potential problem which may never have occurred but now I know that it wont. I'm strongly into preventative maintenance , 40 years working on aircraft will do that to you!:cool:
Good to know another air-man who understands that rush and how important maintenance can be at 100+ with your confidence level completely at piece and that boxer not missing a beat. That engine drone becomes music, dancing with death UpOn2 makes me time warp VagueOut and I’m 20 all over again being kind of stupid but what a rush to be one with a machine you trust. I asked a paratrooper one time why he wasn’t afraid to jump, he simply replied with confidence, “I pack my own shoot, what’s to be afraid off?” Spread you wings VagueOut ……The only thing better than being UpOn2 is flying low and fast ……..Blitz

·
Registered
711 Posts
Chris Harris, in his usually colorful way, warned that the charcoal canisters fitted to 1990's era oilheads can sometimes clog a fuel filter. Maybe. Is this the same canister design with the same kind of filter system within the canister? The same kind of charcoal medium? Any canister issues with these particular engines, camhead or hexhead? A quick dig into the parts fiche shows this particular canister ony goes back to the arrival of the water cooled bikes.

I don't mean to be pedantic, and maybe it's the pandemic or the shitshow of politics the past years. My google skills are usually solid. The only thing I found on this at all was that one clip. Maybe I'm missing something but that seems unusual if it's a real problem. It's not like BMW owners are ever shy about complaining. :D

I've considered ditching the canister, but the bike sits in my modest work space in which I already expose myself to too many fumes. If it helps, even just a bit, it stays unless someone has something more than that old tiny clip of Harris.

·
Registered
HD Rocker FXCWC; Scrambler, to be bought
98 Posts
[...] easily sift right through the strainer in the bottom of the tank and get pumped in the carbs … [...]
And here I thought that these engines had fuel injection and no carbs.... damn, it is really a retro bike then... :p😁

·
Registered
Urban GS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, really useful info here. I'll leave it alone for now, and take all the good advice on overfilling and being careful

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
314 Posts
Guilty thanks for advice, thought it was suppose to contain overflow fuel. Will be more carefull :(

·
Registered
402 Posts
User book advise not overfill gas tank. Charcoal canister can damage due to extra gas get inside after leaking. You can see on the ground little gas puddle. Leaking from charcoal canister. Not often but twice in 45.000km I over fill gas tank. No problems at the moment.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Evap. It`s there for a reason. Its saving the planet for our grandkids from emissions.. what`s not to like about that? when it goes wrong (mine has not) fix it.. like you would a puncture. Would you ride around on a solid wheel jus to avoid a puncture?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts