BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Evap. It`s there for a reason. Its saving the planet for our grandkids from emissions.. what`s not to like about that? when it goes wrong (mine has not) fix it.. like you would a puncture. Would you ride around on a solid wheel jus to avoid a puncture?
yeah fuel evap and exhaust emissions are two completely different things. I get your point 100% about grandkids and all, but it’s like comparing apple and oranges here. The evap canister is there to gather fumes coming from the gas tank but if you have many misfortunes and always overfill your thank, the (non supposed) returned dirty fuel might damage your engine. That’s why people remove the canister. Yeah your bike might smell a little like gasoline if your are always clumsy and overfill your thank, but that has absolutely no correlation with exhaust emissions and global warming. ☺
Cheers!

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
615 Posts
yeah fuel evap and exhaust emissions are two completely different things
Yes they are two completely different things that come from different ends of the driving process. However the end result of both the evap cannister and modern exhaust with catalytic converter is to stop harmful fumes from entering the atmosphere. Yes the major component of harmful pollution from motor vehicles comes burnt and unburnt fuel in exhaust, but a non-negligible amount of greenhouse pollution can come from standing vehicles that aren't running. That is why it is controlled.

I'm not passing judgement one way or the other, but it is disingenuous to say they're apples and oranges. They're both carbon based greenhouse emissions.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes they are two completely different things that come from different ends of the driving process. However the end result of both the evap cannister and modern exhaust with catalytic converter is to stop harmful fumes from entering the atmosphere. Yes the major component of harmful pollution from motor vehicles comes burnt and unburnt fuel in exhaust, but a non-negligible amount of greenhouse pollution can come from standing vehicles that aren't running. That is why it is controlled.

I'm not passing judgement one way or the other, but it is disingenuous to say they're apples and oranges. They're both carbon based greenhouse emissions.
Thanks for the reply, but I’ll still have to respectfully disagree. Yes gasoline fumes are toxic and even though gasoline is a carbon based product it is not considered as a greenhouses gas; the combustion (read chemical modification) gives us carbon monoxide which is a greenhouse gas. If you still disagree, feel free to point me towards your sources on this.

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
615 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but I’ll still have to respectfully disagree. Yes gasoline fumes are toxic and even though gasoline is a carbon based product it is not considered as a greenhouses gas; the combustion (read chemical modification) gives us carbon monoxide which is a greenhouse gas. If you still disagree, feel free to point me towards your sources on this.
Sure I can provide some sources

Gasoline Reid Vapor Pressure | US EPA
Air Quality and Climate Change | UCAR Center for Science Education

Specifically the EPA article makes it clear that emissions from unburnt fuel contribute to ground level smog and produces ozone. The second link makes it clear that smog is and ozone are both responsible for for warming trends.

·
Premium Member
2018 R Nine T Urban GS
37 Posts
Got rid of my charcoal canister:
  • Capped off the vacuum port on the LH cylinder head
  • Placed a loop and small breather to keep debris out of the tank vent line (just in case) and mounted high
  • Feed the purge valve input/output vac line to itself to keep canbus happy.
  • Save parts in case of need to reinstall for warranty, sale, etc
These canisters are notorious for feeding charcoal debris into fuel system depending on use/time.
For reference, this beemer mech has a related video - Chris Harris,

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Got rid of my charcoal canister:
  • Capped off the vacuum port on the LH cylinder head
  • Placed a loop and small breather to keep debris out of the tank vent line (just in case) and mounted high
  • Feed the purge valve input/output vac line to itself to keep canbus happy.
  • Save parts in case of need to reinstall for warranty, sale, etc
These canisters are notorious for feeding charcoal debris into fuel system depending on use/time.
For reference, this beemer mech has a related video - Chris Harris,
Way to cover all the bases Jessi…. UnderYourThumb noDoubt about it. 👍……Blitz
I haven’t “canned” mine yet but I’ve copied your list and will do same when I do ……
I don’t think warranty or resale will be affected but not sure about LaLa’s smog regulations … Thanks for the step-by-step ….. BeWell StayUpOn2

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'll risk getting shut down here, however, just reading through the various questions and responses in this thread, the conclusion that settles upon me is that if I were genuinely troubled at the possible amount of damage to the environment from the possibility of spillage from an overfill when pouring fuel into my bike, then I shouldn't have the bike at all due to it's emissions with or without the charcoal can. What I'm getting at is if the minute emissions from a possible few drops of fuel were quantifiable as long term environmentally harmful then ownership of the bike in total is hard to justify. :unsure:

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
615 Posts
I'll risk getting shut down here, however, just reading through the various questions and responses in this thread, the conclusion that settles upon me is that if I were genuinely troubled at the possible amount of damage to the environment from the possibility of spillage from an overfill when pouring fuel into my bike, then I shouldn't have the bike at all due to it's emissions with or without the charcoal can. What I'm getting at is if the minute emissions from a possible few drops of fuel were quantifiable as long term environmentally harmful then ownership of the bike in total is hard to justify. :unsure:
You've managed to both misunderstand and misframe the issue here. The charcoal cannister is not for overflow from overfilling the tank. That has its own system that directly pours the offending fuel. Overfilling is known to damage the the charcoal filter and is the source of all the complaints against it (justified or not). So that question is not germane to any of the discussion in this thread as to what the charcoal cannister is or does and whether it functions to eliminate any possible emissions.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You've managed to both misunderstand and misframe the issue here. The charcoal cannister is not for overflow from overfilling the tank. That has its own system that directly pours the offending fuel. Overfilling is known to damage the the charcoal filter and is the source of all the complaints against it (justified or not). So that question is not germane to any of the discussion in this thread as to what the charcoal cannister is or does and whether it functions to eliminate any possible emissions.
I was framing an overall moral dilemma rather than a specific technical one.:unsure:

·
Registered
711 Posts
I was framing an overall moral dilemma rather than a specific technical one.:unsure:
You frame poorly.

It isn’t a binary choice. This is cheap equipment already on the bike that helps mitigate the pollution of unburnt fuel vapors escaping into our homes and the atmosphere. This is a pollutant otherwise released, it should be noted, even while not using the machine. So the canister does a good thing. And there doesn’t appear to be any meaningful evidence that canisters can be problematic. So why remove it? Oh. Right. It’s ugly.

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
315 Posts
The cannister is ugly and distracts from the appearance of the bike, having said that, I will not remove it. I accept that the engineers had a purpose and reason for it and time will tell if they were correct. I do not have the knowledge to fiddle with it. Standing behind the nine t when it is running, you still choke yourself to death, unlike the new 1250 gs where on good morning you can inhale the fumes and I stand truly amazed. I miss those army memories where the vehicles start up in the morning and you choke to death on diesel fumes. 😄 The swings are that the air we breath are cleaner and we do our bit for mother nature (which we all enjoy, because no sane person will ride a bike if he does not, a bit masochistic otherwise), the roundabout is that so many rare metals are used building those machines that when the vehicle is trashed we recover the exhaust only. The scrapped car exhaust worth more than the rets of the vehicle. Not sure where it will end and maybe there is a conspiracy behind it. As it is, I will do my bit, we are in serious trouble with earthwarming and pollution in general. To all the guys removing it, have fun, but I am keeping mine. Ugly or not.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts