BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2018 r nine t pure
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm torn in what direction I'd like to go with my 18' pure.

I used to ride dirt bikes a lot and always wanted a GS. There's a LOT to do and spend to make this bike a realistic enduro.

I also love the look of low rise bars on the nine t and think it lends itself well to a more sporty style.

I can't decide whether to get some low bars and commit to keeping this bike on road ONLY, or staying open to the idea of someday making it a little more worthy of off road riding.

So many ways to go with this bike, hard to pick one!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Built for off-road and you can always ride on pavement. Built for pavement and you are pretty much limited to pavement only.

·
Registered
2018 r nine t pure
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Built for off-road and you can always ride on pavement. Built for pavement and you are pretty much limited to pavement only.
I mostly agree, although a suspension upgrade with more travel height is one move, albeit an expensive one, to go a long ways towards better off-road capability. I could take it off road now but it does seem to me like it would be slow and painful I'm not sure how much fun I'd have.

Of course, I can always keep it as it is and never get sick of riding it.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
969 Posts
I'll say this up front -- I've never done any off-road motorcycling, other than accidentally wandering onto a gravel road once in a while. So I'm no expert.

Now that I've said that, from everything I've read and seen, the R9T doesn't make a great enduro compared to bikes actually designed for such use. Not to say it can't be done, but in my opinion light off-roading is about the best a big machine like the R9T (even the Scrambler) was designed to do. Some people do some really tricking riding on their big, heavy GS's, but I don't think even the R9T Scrambler was built to be a true enduro. Think of how heavy an R9T is when you have to pick it up, especially on a loose surface, and how wide it is when navigating a narrow trail. Fire roads are one thing on a scrambler or GS, but I'd be hesitant on single-track (where a real enduro would shine). That being said, I just watched a video where some riders did some really challenging single-track on their liquid-cooled R1200GS's. Impressive stuff.

My advice, respectfully, is to keep your Pure as a road-only bike and maybe find a cheap enduro to buy and then enjoy taking that bike off-road. You might spend as much making your Pure into an almost competent enduro as you would just buying a decent used bike better suited for that kind of riding in the first place.

Again, I have no experience in this area, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, so take it all with a large grain of salt. ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
My opinion is same as @TimC . Ninets are not good in Off-Road (Neither UGS nor Scrambler). Only if you are an expert off road rider and you have lots of money to waste you can get a well balanced Off-road bike.

BUT if you are a begginer Off-Road rider Ninet UGS/Scarmbler will be the worst bike to ride Off-road. It is much better lights bikes. Yamaha Tenere 700 or even Royald Enfield Himalayan. Easy bike for light trail. Never enduro.

I am not very tall (1,70m) and not very good off-road rider. I prefer a low seat royald enfield Himalayan (as second bike) to get fun than Husqvarna super off road (and very high) bike...

I recommend you to see Lolo Cochet in Iceland. 4 episodes in total.

·
Registered
2018 r nine t pure
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My opinion is same as @TimC . Ninets are not good in Off-Road (Neither UGS nor Scrambler). Only if you are an expert off road rider and you have lots of money to waste you can get a well balanced Off-road bike.

BUT if you are a begginer Off-Road rider Ninet UGS/Scarmbler will be the worst bike to ride Off-road. It is much better lights bikes. Yamaha Tenere 700 or even Royald Enfield Himalayan. Easy bike for light trail. Never enduro.

I am not very tall (1,70m) and not very good off-road rider. I prefer a low seat royald enfield Himalayan (as second bike) to get fun than Husqvarna super off road (and very high) bike...

I recommend you to see Lolo Cochet in Iceland. 4 episodes in total.

Thanks, I'll definitely take a look. And I think you're absolutely right in regards to off-road experience. Personally, I rode dirt bikes a lot growing up, but haven't in many years. I think a KLR 650 might be the way I eventually go IF I really want to get back in the dirt. Not gonna cry dropping one of those in the dirt.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks, I'll definitely take a look. And I think you're absolutely right in regards to off-road experience. Personally, I rode dirt bikes a lot growing up, but haven't in many years. I think a KLR 650 might be the way I eventually go IF I really want to get back in the dirt. Not gonna cry dropping one of those in the dirt.
Yes. KLR650 is another very good option. Dual-Sport bike is best option for me. In Europe I don´t know why KLR650 is not available...What a pity!!!. I suppouse anti-pollution rules or something similar...

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think the cost to make an R9T capable out in the bush is going to be about as expensive as buying a dual-sport like a used CRF300 Rally or a used Scrambler Desertsled (hey why not?). The KLR is plenty capable but oof, one of the ugliest things ever designed, I get it - looks aren't everything.

hick "yep good enough, calling it done, who wants happy hour?"

·
Registered
2018 r nine t pure
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the cost to make an R9T capable out in the bush is going to be about as expensive as buying a dual-sport like a used CRF300 Rally or a used Scrambler Desertsled (hey why not?). The KLR is plenty capable but oof, one of the ugliest things ever designed, I get it - looks aren't everything but lol look at that thing its like a alcoholic designed it

View attachment 142634

Still amazed by this..
That's crazy! I do not have the cajones for that.

·
Registered
2018 r nine t pure
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the cost to make an R9T capable out in the bush is going to be about as expensive as buying a dual-sport like a used CRF300 Rally or a used Scrambler Desertsled (hey why not?). The KLR is plenty capable but oof, one of the ugliest things ever designed, I get it - looks aren't everything.

View attachment 142634

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,505 Posts
Last video (hill climbI think is not real. It is digital trick
You haven't seen motorcycle hill-climbs before?
Anything is possible when you know what you are doing. ;)

Reactions: Benkos

·
Registered
2018 r nine t pure
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You haven't seen motorcycle hill-climbs before?
Anything is possible when you know what you are doing. ;)
Dang, look at that front tire! What the heck is he standing on? And here we are complaining about the nine t suspension! Lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm torn in what direction I'd like to go with my 18' pure.

I used to ride dirt bikes a lot and always wanted a GS. There's a LOT to do and spend to make this bike a realistic enduro.

I also love the look of low rise bars on the nine t and think it lends itself well to a more sporty style.

I can't decide whether to get some low bars and commit to keeping this bike on road ONLY, or staying open to the idea of someday making it a little more worthy of off road riding.

So many ways to go with this bike, hard to pick one!
Sounds like you should have bought the UrbanGS

·
Registered
2018 r nine t pure
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Sounds like you should have bought the UrbanGS
I respectfully disagree. The urban gs is really not much more at home in the dirt than the pure, just slightly so. The suspension issues are still there. Whether I went with an urban gs, a scrambler or the pure I have, I'd still want to upgrade the suspension and increase the travel for any legitimate adventure riding.

I'm just not crazy about a bike that looks like a GS and isn't quite built to actually be one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts