BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has already been covered. I can't get the "Google Custom Search" to work for me.

I'd like to get an Airhawk seat pad for the bike, but I can't figure out which size will work best. I'm guessing the DS Cruiser, but I'm not sure. Anyone who's using one with the OEM seat mind sharing what size you have?

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Sorry if this has already been covered. I can't get the "Google Custom Search" to work for me.

I'd like to get an Airhawk seat pad for the bike, but I can't figure out which size will work best. I'm guessing the DS Cruiser, but I'm not sure. Anyone who's using one with the OEM seat mind sharing what size you have?
As I understand it, the NineT's seat doesn't take any airhawk size too well - lands in the either too big or too small category. YMMV.

Also, you're using the wrong search:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I see. Wow, I feel dumb for that. Thanks!

That's a shame about the Airhawk sizing...Maybe I'll try it out anyway. Thanks again.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Forum member Lost runs an Airhawk, or at least he did before his Bill Mayer saddle was made. IIRC, Lost used the medium size.:confused:

http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/accessories-gear/53274-bill-mayer-custom-saddle-installed.html

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
I use the medium cruiser airhawk.

The length is correct, but it's definitely wide, especially toward the front of the seat.

Still beats the heck out of riding multiple hours on nothing but the stock seat.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Think you've got that backwards brother. His medium cruiser airhawk didn't fit until AFTER the Bill Mayer upgrade - prior to that, it was too big for the 9T stock saddle.
Pretty sure that Lost used the Airhawk before Bill Mayer modified his saddle; too big or not, I don't know. That is why I attached the OP, so atblay could read for himself and he could PM Lost for details.:cool:

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Man, you NineT guys are wrapped up tight! All atblay wanted to know was which Airhawk size will work best. From what I gathered from Lost's post on the subject, the medium size, while not a prefect fit was the best fit. Take a chill pill, just trying to point atblay in a direction where he might find an answer.
I think you're misreading me... Pretty chill. As one of the people waiting for an Airhawk that fits, I'm pretty familiar with the issue. There isn't an answer. As I said in my first post (which Lost and Mikeo have confirmed) the 9T seat is between sizes. I apologize if I offended you in some way with my accuracy. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think you're misreading me... Pretty chill. As one of the people waiting for an Airhawk that fits, I'm pretty familiar with the issue. There isn't an answer. As I said in my first post (which Lost and Mikeo have confirmed) the 9T seat is between sizes. I apologize if I offended you in some way with my accuracy. :)

No worries. The "good god man" was the misread. I am new to the forum and to the NineT but very familiar with forum posting; tech moderator on a Harley site for years so I know how things can go sideways sometimes.

I guess the OEM NineT seat is like most OEM seats and not real comfortable after 50 miles?? Any body cut and fit in a gel pad yet?

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,975 Posts
I have the Airhawk pillion pad mounted sideways towards the back of my seat. Covers all the area my boney-arse needs. No point covering further towards the tank if you don't sit there?

Reactions: atblay

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have the Airhawk pillion pad mounted sideways towards the back of my seat. Covers all the area my boney-arse needs. No point covering further towards the tank if you don't sit there?
I think there is some benefit to covering the part of the seat closer to the tank, but certainly not as much as you would get from having a wider and more supportive seat for the airhawk to rest on.

Who knows... maybe after I figure out my luggage rack replacement for the back seat, I'll install a solo tractor seat that matches the size of the airhawk.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate all the help, guys. I read the thread you referred me to, djl. Much obliged.

I guess the OEM NineT seat is like most OEM seats and not real comfortable after 50 miles?? Any body cut and fit in a gel pad yet?
As for that question, I reckon that's another YMMV issue. I rode the stock seat for maybe 250 miles on my first longer trip with the bike. Though it wasn't like sitting on my old, broken-in carseat leather, I really didn't mind it too much. It's such a subjective thing, comfort. My ass didn't get numb, and my back didn't ache. I am also very thin and fit, so I'm not resting a ton of weight on the seat.

When I was first learning to ride, I somehow found myself with an older Royal Enfield. The stock seat was too tall for me, so I put on a Dave Perewitz low seat, which was basically a hard piece of some form of plastic, with no foam whatsoever. I rode on that seat for a long time, even did a 100 mile ride on it. I'm not saying that to posture or suggest I'm badass, cuz I ain't. But I think, having experienced that level of discomfort, the stock 9T seat feels pretty great to me.

All that said, I would like to fit an Airhawk because I understand it would be such a significant upgrade in comfort. And I appreciate everybody's help with information on sizing. I think I'll try Captain's workaround above.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
All that said, I would like to fit an Airhawk because I understand it would be such a significant upgrade in comfort. And I appreciate everybody's help with information on sizing. I think I'll try Captain's workaround above.

The new one has promise... Wanna try it out for us ;)

Airhawk Dual Sport Seat Pad - RevZilla
Airhawk DS Seat Cushion
Adventure riding never felt so comfortable with the Airhawk Dual Sport Seat Pad. Designed specifically to meet the needs of the Dual Sport Riders and their bikes. Ride longer, ride harder, all on air.
Features:

• Arrow front to match the seat profile of most Dual Sport Bikes
  • Front of the DS Seat Cushion has been tapered down and away from the rider’s groin area to minimize unwanted pressure
  • Not just for Dual Sport Bikes, it works well with those hard to fit seats where the Airhaw Cruiser Medium and Airhawk R are too wide, and the Airhawk Cruiser Small is too long

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The new one has promise... Wanna try it out for us ;)

Airhawk Dual Sport Seat Pad - RevZilla
Airhawk DS Seat Cushion
Adventure riding never felt so comfortable with the Airhawk Dual Sport Seat Pad. Designed specifically to meet the needs of the Dual Sport Riders and their bikes. Ride longer, ride harder, all on air.
Features:

• Arrow front to match the seat profile of most Dual Sport Bikes
  • Front of the DS Seat Cushion has been tapered down and away from the rider’s groin area to minimize unwanted pressure
  • Not just for Dual Sport Bikes, it works well with those hard to fit seats where the Airhaw Cruiser Medium and Airhawk R are too wide, and the Airhawk Cruiser Small is too long
As soon as my paycheck clears, I'm on it!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've ordered the Airhawk DS and am waiting on the UPS gods to deliver it. Hopefully, I'll be able to update everyone on the state of my ass by early next week.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've ordered the Airhawk DS and am waiting on the UPS gods to deliver it. Hopefully, I'll be able to update everyone on the state of my ass by early next week.
I am curious how this turns out. I am still awaiting my bike, who knows, maybe the seat won't be that bad (the K isn't great, RTs have been best). Still the pricing of the airhawks is like halfway to a great replacement seat.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts