BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Thomas here and not a nineT owner yet, but getting close....just need some more information on which direction to go.
I am actually cross-shopping between the scrambler and the R nineT....and also throwing a Indian FTR1200 into the mix.
Surely not thinking anyone would steer me towards the Indian, unless anyone has experience with both.

I have a scrambler in view but really dislike the brown seat. Also not sure if the differences like harder suspension compared to the regular nineT is as bad as some reviews make it out to be. I am coming from a Triumph Speed triple and looking for a new do it all bike, like longer tours as well as backroad canyon carving. Not interested anymore in racing and trading it my Ducati Supersport.

So, to make it short, will I sacrifice a lot going with the scrambler instead of the R nineT? Anyone ever cross-shopped with he FTR or Ducati 1100 scrambler? Just too many darn choices out there and not many dealers let test ride them.

Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just got a Scrambler in January. I rode an R9T classic too (on BMW's South Carolina driving school track) and like the way the Scrambler feels overall much more- riding position is higher and bike feels bigger than the classic.

I'm 5'10 180. As it comes stock, the Scrambler is not a bike I would want to ride for more than half a day, or longer than an hour or two at 80+mph. For me it is perfect for 3 hours constant riding or less. Stock suspension was OK after adjustment but not what you'd expect a nice BMW to feel like.

Ohlins steering damper/bm640/nix cartridges and metzeler tourance next and it is on rails in the twisties. I love it.

·
Administrator
12,190 Posts
Scrambler or "Classic" roadster is mostly down to personal preference. The 2017 plus Classics have improved higher spec front ends so probably are the best in the twisties, but there won't be much in it. The steering will be quicker on the Classic too due to the smaller front wheel size. I test rode a Urban G/S and would say that it turned noticeably more slowly, but was still a lot of fun. I know the G/S isn't available in the States any more brand new, but the Scrambler I would imagine would handle almost identically.

I can't say any of the R nineT range are inherently suited for touring, especially two-up but the engine and drivetrain will easily cope with it. The bikes are in general very reliable and have a well-proven power plant and transmission. The bikes can definitely be fitted out with panniers etc so they can absolutely be made to tour as long as you accept the compromises.

I know it's a real pain, but the only real way of deciding what bike you want is to go ride one and see what you think. If the Scrambler floats your boat, simply recover the seat, or see if you can find a mint used Classic or Pure dual seat and graft it on, and keep the stock scrambler seat for if you sell the bike on...

I'd go for a Classic, but I'm very biassed! ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I hear ya - I thought about those same bikes and man, that Indian! That said, I’ve been riding Ducati’s for ages and was looking for something easy and less finicky. I went with a R9T classic, just upgraded the rear shock and am very happy. Though I still miss that Ducati visceralness, I don’t miss not being exhausted after a ride.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, test road the FTR1200S as well as the nineT scrambler.....picking up the BMW on Saturday, traded in my Ducati Supersport S. The Indian is a fantastic bike and much better bang for your buck. However, here is what killed it for me: Seat height, I am 5'7" with a 30 inseam and was barely able to tippy-toe. I had a Multistrada in the past and it usually does not bother me, but it is taller than my Multi was, or at least it feels like it, as it is very top-heavy. Next, not that I am under a time crunch, but putting the key into the ignition and having to wait about 15sec to get the display to boot up....this is 2020! Again, does not sounds like much time, but it's just odd. Lastly, I did not like to rough engine, some surging at all speeds going on, but it had a sport exhaust and a tune, so might have been an issue with that.

The BMW which I rode today can't really compare, same price, no display, no Bluetooth, no touchscreen, no cruise control, but I felt somehow home on it, if that makes any sense. Weird Boxer shaking when turning the throttle, but in a nice way and not bothersome. The 19" front wheel does need some getting used to, but I also have a dirtbike and a Honday GB500TT with a 19", so it's not as nimble as the Ducati but it's a different bike anyway.

I did get a color most would probably reject, Black/Aurum, and at first hated the brown seat, but the combination fits.

Anyhow, picking up Saturday, ordered already the Rev counter and mounting parts and looking for a pair of crashbars....lets the modding begin. I have to see how the suspension turns out, roads are pretty good down here in Texas, if not my trusted Racetech will be called upon.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why aren't you also looking at Triumph's?
That's the only one that I do not find attractive, and I usually love Triumph. I had a Speedmaster, a Speed Triple, and a 74" Tiger. Lovely bikes but the scrambler did not do it for me visually.

·
Premium Member
2019 BMW R9T Pure
154 Posts
If you're looking at the Indian I thought you might look at the Bobber Black. I like the look of that one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi.. I rode my mates ftr1200 on monday. It was i bike i was looking at at concept stage but the production model disappointed me visually.. So i bought the beautifull ( in my opinion) r9t scrambler and i love it and the scrambler continues to grow on me... BUT ... That ftr wow! The stonk from that engine is really fantastic, the handling on the 150 section rear tyre has no profile for leaning, however its apparently addictively easy to drift it in the wet.. Check out bike world ftr reviews.

I have to say im now on the fence on a trade in.

For the 1st time in my bike life i feel like id be cheating on a mate ( my bmw) funny thing how its got under my skin and ultimately i think the bmw has so much going for it and nothing $2000 of suspension mods wouldnt fix... Ive always felt the scramblers rear end needs to be raised 20 -30mm alot cheaper than a new bike and the regrets of saying goodbye to a trusty stead.

Its maybe the bias forum im subconsciously looking to hear NO! DONT DO IT!

has anyone else riden the ftr or done direct rode or track riding with?

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
807 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but since it was just revived I wanted to chime in.

I considered an Indian FTR1200 while I was bike shopping last year. Terrific looking bike in my opinion, and there seem to be plenty of mods available. Prices are high, but since they haven't sold particularly well I figure deals can be had, or find a nice low-mileage used bike. But what took the FTR out of the running for me was the seat height. The OP mentioned being 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I'm an inch taller, but with very short legs for my height. And the FTR was just too tall. Not only just balancing at a stop light, but just getting on and off would have been challenging due to the high rear seat. And it's bad enough with fresh legs. If I'd already ridden several hours one day, getting on the bike could be very iffy. I do wish I'd done a test ride on an FTR, but I don't think I'd have been able to overcome its height.

This is one reason I love my R9T Pure. The lower seat height, especially with the rear seat also being low, is a big plus for me. No matter how tired I am during a long day of riding or a tour, I know I'll be able to safety mount and dismount my BMW.

As for the Ducati Scrambler, I looked at a couple of its variants, but they just never appealed to me. It just seems like too one-dimensional a bike for me. I like the R9T Scrambler much more, but neither was the right bike for me.

·
Registered
2021 R nineT Pure
7 Posts
I have to chime in... I just bought a new R nineT Pure. Guess what I traded in? A 2019 Indian FTR 1200 RR. It was a beautiful bike. Unfortunately, I only sat on it when I bought it and ultimately it wasn't what I wanted in a motorcycle. It is a tall bike and I could almost flat foot one foot. I did ride it occasionally but usually chose my Ninja over it as I was way more comfortable and confident on the Ninja. I spent more time looking at the FTR than riding it. I only put 2000 miles on it in two years. Yes, it was fast but it had a couple issues. One of the most disconcerting things was that it was prone to surging under some throttle conditions. It did it to me a couple of times and I would thought the throttle cable was binding but it's all electronic. Also concerning the engine was that I had to hold the throttle at a higher rev next the bike would not stay running unless the engine was fairly warm. These are very well known problems and Indian/Polaris really never addressed them. There was a new engine tune that came out recently but according to forum members, it only raised the rpm's upon start but stalling was still a problem. Many people opted for custom tunes, but they are not cheap and still some owners had problems with the tunes. There were more quirky things about the bike but overall I did like it, so I can't trash it. I just didn't love it like I do the nineT. I wanted the FTR to be a modern version of a Buell but it was too big and too heavy. The R nineT, as other folks have said on here, sure reminds me of my Buells. I'll miss the FTR but really, we were a mis-match from the start. All I have to do is go out to the garage and peek at the nineT and I forget about the FTR!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey many thanks. Ive read or watched youtube with the ftr issues you mentioned but great to hear your ownership reality. Funny i wrote that post earlier and it was good for me to realise i love my scrambler and not yet ready trade it in. However i did agree to buy the base model ftr on special price. Im used to a tall seat as i have a Husqvarna nuda900 which is an old gs800 rehashed by husqvarna - great bike cant sell that one. It the main reason i looked at the r9t scrambler.
Originally i was going to sell my mv f3 800 to buy the scrambler but it didnt sell and so kept it. This time the f3 800 is going along with another vehicle to pay for ftr.

It sounds spolt im sorry but just like bikes and over the years found it hard to give one up.

I cant wait to live with ftr side by side with the scrambler, currently 90% of the time i pick up the keys to the scrambler and after a few months it will be interesting which bike i want to keep as ultimately more than two bikes isnt feasible for me. Well mainly my wife.:love:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was so excited when the FTR was announced, loved the power, features, looks and noise it made at a decent price. Then i sat (or tried to) on it when it finally hit showrooms. It was so freaking tall (5'-5" with 28" inseam) that alone was a turn off (I don't mind being on my tippy toes, but it was far too top heavy and couldn't even be on my tippy toes on that one).

Anyway the 2022 supposedly gets smaller wheels and shorter suspension which lowers the entire bike by 1.4" (which is quite huge!)--also handlebars shortened 1.5" which is a plus as well. It also gets a new engine tune (hopefully fixes the issue GoodBorg3 mentioned, but only time will tell).

Hey if it hits all the checkmarks, i may add it to my stable :D .... but we'll see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts