BMW NineT Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tire Pressure - reading & filling

9K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  judmusty44 
#1 ·
Hello nineTowners.com,

With the way the spokes are arranged around the valve, I am struggling to get an accurate tire pressure reading. For the same reason, filling the tires can be a real challenge at most gas/petrol stations.

I'm using an old fashioned pencil style gauge, which probably isn't making things any easier.
Before I jump into buying a fancy new digital gauge, I was wondering if anyone here uses a particular style gauge which they find slightly less cumbersome to manage than the type of gauge I'm working with.

Sorry if the above topic has been discussed previously, I did a quick search and didn't find any direct mention of it. That said- I did come across a thread where valve stem extensions were recommended. Are these adapters reliable in regards to leakage? Seems like it would be the easiest and cheapest solution.

Thanks!

#3 ·
I use this one with my compressor and it works fantastically. I really appreciate the 90-degree adapter to make it easy to get in and out of any tire I use as well as the fact that I can read, add, and remove pressure quickly with one hand.

#5 ·
I use a 'Astro 3018 Digital Tire Inflator with Stainless Steel Braided Hose' and it really works well. If you have larger hands you may have some issues with getting your hand between the rotor and the spokes to connect the inflator to the valve, but after some practice can get used to it. I definitely recommend it. I'm looking for a 90 degree adapter to possibly simplify the effort.

#7 ·
I use a 'Astro 3018 Digital Tire Inflator with Stainless Steel Braided Hose' and it really works well. If you have larger hands you may have some issues with getting your hand between the rotor and the spokes to connect the inflator to the valve, but after some practice can get used to it. I definitely recommend it. I'm looking for a 90 degree adapter to possibly simplify the effort.
Here's one that works pretty good:

Amazon.com: 45 Degree Motorcycle Car Truck Gold Brass Tire Valve Stem Extension Extender: Automotive

#8 ·
I ended up going with these valve extenders (measurements are: 1.9 x 1.3 x 0.4 inches).

A word of caution: when installed on the front wheel, it has the potential to make contact with the front brake, if it's not tucked inline & tightened properly (see here). Thankfully I managed to account for this before taking my bike out.

I went for a quick zip on the highway, and the new extenders stayed in place.
Still not at peace with the possibility that it may come into contact with the front brake at highway speeds. I'll probably only put them on as needed, moving forward.

Thanks for all the feedback- I'll be purchasing my own compressor soon most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.