BMW NineT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Almost forgot....

On April 20 I also lodged a complaint with the NHTSA regarding the failing tail lights. Haven't heard back from them yet but it's a Federal org. I expect their speed to be pretty slow.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I was a life long Toyota fan. I have had 3 of their vehicles. My current Toyota Tacoma they have screwed me out of warranty work so many times. I got the same treatment from multiple dealers in 2 different states. I filed complaints at the dealers and Toyota NA but no there cares. My fiance is ready for a new mini van. The toyota sienna awd fits us perfect, but I don't want to purchase another Toyota again. There cars are awesome. But there service and commitment is zero. I hope you have better luck with BMW.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ask for a demo bike to us

You paid for a motorcycle to ride you should have one to ride. After you blast (in the survey) BMW NA and the couple dealers who seem to have failed miserably to correct ongoing issues with your $15,000 plus purchase tell the current dealer you want a demo/loaner bike to use while they wait for parts and your warranty to run out. Insist on the R 1200R LC demo over there in the corner, yeh the red one.

Take that bike out for a spin and take it home, after all its a loaner/demo bike. Don't call or stop by the dealer at all, just act like the matter is resolved. When they call asking for the demo/loaner bike back or an update to the repairs simply ask them if The R 9T has been fixed properly and is ready for pick up. If its not ready just hang up and take the R 1200R LC out for a spin and ignore their attempts to reach you for a while. If they say it is drive your car down for the test ride and review of the repairs.

They might insist you return the demo/loaner bike or even whine about the value of the demo/loaner bike and how they need it back, when they do simply reply that you need a safe, presentable and reliable motorcycle that you have already paid for and have patiently waited for while BMW NA and its dealer network has failed to deliver and may even have attempted to avoid taking responsibility for a LEMON.

When you do speak with the General Manager (don't waste time with the service manager or shop foreman go to the top) of the dealership or a BMW NA rep keep it short and to the point. You purchased a bike with a warranty, reputation for quality and a stated insistence for safety in all all its vehicles. Then ask that person "when will BMW NA fulfill its part of the equation.

Take a hard stance on this and don't give an inch, if they want to report the demo/loaner as stolen tell them go ahead and remind them they took your information and handed the keys to you and watched you ride away.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Day 40 update!

Called and spoke to BMW CS today, twice.

They will not or cannot expedite the manifold form Germany. I'll simply have to wait. Got off on a tangent about all the small issues that are outstanding as well as the tail light that keeps failing.

I had to break off the call for a meeting at work. Called them back in the afternoon. Before calling I realized I'm spending way too much time talking to people and not getting anywhere.

This time I explained I've been without it for 40 days, I have demands.

Laid them out and ended up with it being logged in the case and that will be sent to a manager. Wait is now 24-48 hours tor someone to call back.

Thanks for all the interest and advice so far.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
South Carolina has a Lemon Law . . . . :|

For some reason I was thinking that you were in North Carolina. Blame it on my old age. I forgot which state you are in. :(

I hope you get everything resolved. BMW is probably not BS ing you about time to get parts. Sometimes it takes a while.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Day 40 update!This time I explained I've been without it for 40 days, I have demands.Laid them out and ended up with it being logged in the case and that will be sent to a manager. Wait is now 24-48 hours tor someone to call back.Thanks for all the interest and advice so far.
I completely agree with your sentiments, but am afraid you're dealing with the issue from a weak position. In my experience, your actions so far amount to nothing more than those of an annoyed little Jack Russell Terrier tug-o-warring a Rottweiler for a bone (excuse the analogy, it's not meant to offend - but to encourage :excl:).

To achieve your desired result you need to bring out the big guns. Talk softly - but carry a big stick!

So far you've just been a relatively minor annoyance to someone who obviously offers plenty of lip-service, but has no real intent to satisfy your (thus far) wishful-thinking demands.

Let a lawyer draft & send your letter of demand, including the time line/history of events thus far, their lack of response, their delay tactics, mention the possibility of legal action. Give them a deadline by which they must provide a satisfactory solution to the problem they created & failed to address! That's very important!

That letter needs to reach that sales person, service manager, Dealership manager & owner and BMW America HQ. Only then will they give you your dues! Unwilling Corporate Spirit only bends to a higher power. Money. Fines. Reputation. Only if one person within their chain-of-command realises that this case could harbour serious consequences/damages to him/herself - will the decision be made to satisfy your demands.

Look at it the other way: THEY have had ZERO problems yanking your chain, hoping you'll loose hope and eventually give up! You gotta turn the tables on them! They gotta realise that you have zero problems bringing out the big guns and yank THEIR chain until they give you what is rightfully yours. (listen to JeffsBMW post & advice)

:S-A-Smack:

(btw, this is how last year I persuaded VW Australia & local dealer (after a number of half-arsed failed repair attempts) to come to the party and free-of-charge repair a costly major electronic flaw/fault (potentially able to cause fatal accident) in a 10-year old Passat (bought from them 3 months earlier). In the USA recalls were issued to repair that fault - however that recall wasn't implemented in Oz due to lack of customers/complainers, duh!)

·
Registered
294 Posts
You don't need a lawyer!

Nothing against proper legal protection and advise, you really don't need to get a lawyer involved YET! Having said that I would advise the original forum poster to gather all, I did say ALL! pertinent documents related to any & all warranty issues with his R 9T. Include but don't limit what you save. Copy and keep all repair receipts, dealer work orders, warranty records and any & all documents related to the initial purchase, repairs and service of the bike. Collect any and all service records on the bike, written correspondence or electronically produced text regarding all repairs, maintenance, and stated "saftey related issues" related to the ongoing problems with his R 9T.

Begin the process of filing a complaint under the "Lemon law" in your state and advise the current dealer General Manager of your actions and intention to pursue that matter through the courts as a violation of your states "Lemon Law" if it is required.

Don't be nasty with the General Manger, Service Manager, Techs or any representative of BMW NA, just simply request your bike be repaired correctly or replaced, you get reimbursed for your out of pocket expenses regarding the loss of use by the dealer / BMW NA .

Stand firm, state your claim, explain the issues, advise of the detrimental affect of the ongoing safety issues and lengthy repair times related to the R 9T, offer a solution to the issue. Have witnesses to discussions regarding any negotiations related to all the warranty repairs to the motorcycle.

Sometimes just having your crap together, leaving out personal issues and not attacking integrity and response issues gets the desired result

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
2.5 Month update, Dealer still has the bike. I've made it to the "Executive Customer Care" level at BMW Motorrad USA, especially after my post on their Facebook page.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fphoto.php%3Ffbid%3D10207119650268057%26set%3Do.126944527336327%26type%3D3&width=500" width="500" height="501" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

It's gotten buried under a bunch of other posts. Much like this thread has.

Pretty much given up at this point of having my BMW back ever. Sucks I continue to pay the bank, tags, insurance, taxes for something I don't even have possession of anymore.

***EDIT***

Not sure what's up with the facebook link, perhaps someone can figure it out. I just can't be bothered.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Did they offer you a loaner bike/car or rental?
No. BMW says they don't do that, if anyone did it would be the dealership. And only for things like services, not warranty repairs.

I called the dealership yesterday and the service manager "was at lunch" so I left a message for them to call me. They did not.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
No. BMW says they don't do that, if anyone did it would be the dealership. And only for things like services, not warranty repairs.

I called the dealership yesterday and the service manager "was at lunch" so I left a message for them to call me. They did not.
I would try to push for a loaner. At least it won't be as bad if you had another bike to ride while waiting on parts.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
**** IT'S BACK ****

I picked my R9T on Friday the 9th. 10 days short of 3 months.

**** It's not right ****

There are several issues, some which I noticed before leaving the dealer. I wasn't leaving without the bike though. I had just driven two hours to pick it up and it was coming home with me. Some I didn't notice until I had it back home. Figured I'd examine it closely over the course of the weekend to see what else pops up.

1. Left bank O2 sensor lead badly twisted. - I can fix this myself easily. Hopefully the wires/sensor weren't stressed to the point of damage.

2. Evap hoses not clipped into their frame holders. - Lazy technicians. I can fix this myself as well. What else must I suspect now?

3. Diagnostic plug clip is missing. - It flipped out from under the cover on the way home and was lying on top of the intake tube. Found it zip-tied to the frame tube.

Now #3 is an interesting one as the majority of the issues surrounding the fuel tank replacement had to do with the fact that BMW redesigned the fuel tank some time after mine was produced. This led to a shower of other parts needing replacement as well. Some of these are items like the Air intake Snorkel Cover. This part no longer has the rubber bung that slips over the pin on the tank. The cover is still held on by the two screws but the bung is gone and the end of the cover has a spring clip that snaps around the end of the snorkel just below the opening.

Now, the diagnostic clip on the other side attached to a bracket that was welded to the tank and also supported the threaded clip for the rear screw for the throttle cover on the left side. The tab for the threaded clip is there but the extension for the diagnostic clip is not.

This makes me wonder, how are the diagnostic plugs on the 2016/2017 models secured? Anyone able to take the cover off and shoot a picture of how BMW does it on these models? Had I known about this I would have just looked at the ones on the showroom floor when I was there.

I want to have the plug secured properly so it's not rubbing on the frame and possibly causing rust issues down the road.

Contacting the dealer and BMW CS about these issues today and would like to be able to present potential solutions to the problem.

The saga continues.....

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
A bit of a rush-job it seems! Someone lent on them or they were waiting for something.

Rusty

Glad you got her back!! :3tens:

It seems the items you are pointing out have to do with the repair tech being lazy and not faulty parts. How is she running now?

41 - 60 of 78 Posts