BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Premium Member
The fleet...9T ‘classic’ F800gt, Mz Ts150, Etz250, Beneli 125 2c, TL1000s, Trx 850, Katana 250/4, X7
599 Posts
We hear of the bigger brother GS bikes having 100k miles. Who here has the most mileage on theirs? Kinda curious to see what the lifespan is of the smaller boxer motor.
Sort of question I’d want the answer for but not related to engine last ability

· Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
396 Posts
We hear of the bigger brother GS bikes having 100k miles. Who here has the most mileage on theirs? Kinda curious to see what the lifespan is of the smaller boxer motor.
Lot of factors that will determine life expectancy like area, if it is snow and salt the frame will go before engine, cold conditions and short distances will shorten life and at least once a year service will prolong. I have heard of engines doing 200 000 plus km. I assume if you look after it,it will last. Generally a boxer is a solid and safe engine, that is why they are often used in aeroplane kits as well. I know of an owner that drives a 100 000 km plus a year and he gets a problem free 300 000 km out of those engines. Had the 1150, at 60 000km it was still running better and better after each service. Just ride the bike and enjoy. Usually the owner that destrouys the engine.

· Registered
687 Posts
:unsure: How old is your bike and how many miles/kilometers is better question...

It doesn't mean anything important but very interesting for me.

Also I usually look carefully pictures from new members...I focus in their rear tires...If I see rear tire very "clean" in borders ... It helps me to know who I'm talking with.

Pure from October 2017. 45.000km. All perfect. No problems nor failures.

· Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
1,985 Posts
Which
:unsure: How old is your bike and how many miles/kilometers is better question...

It doesn't mean anything important but very interesting for me.

Also I usually look carefully pictures from new members...I focus in their rear tires...If I see rear tire very "clean" in borders ... It helps me to know who I'm talking with.

Pure from October 2017. 45.000km. All perfect. No problems nor failures.
What if they just got a new set of tires. It stands to reason if you ride a lot you cycle through tires.

· Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,321 Posts
Feasible to make 150k miles on the RNinet?
I think so. Many people have put well over 100,000 miles on their older air-cooled R1200GS's. 200k and even 300k isn't unheard of, which is pretty dang cool. If decently maintained, these air/oil-cooled machines should run forever.

By the way, I had just over 101,000 miles on my 2004 Honda VFR 800 when I sold it, and it was running just as well as when I bought it with just 4,200 miles on the odometer. I would expect a boxer engine to do even better.

· Premium Member
3,138 Posts
I went to a BMW international rally in Corpus Christy Texas in the mid 70’s. To far back for complete recall. What I do remember was 300,000 miles was not uncommon on many of those motos. Seems BMW had recently released a 1000cc motor and it was a big topic of conversation at the time, everyone speculating about how long it would last. They gave away novelty trophies for all kinds of reasons, oldest rider, who came the longest distance to the event, most miles etc. and there were no less than five bikes that had over 500,000 miles, that’s miles…not kilometers. I remember distinctly two things, I was a young rider at the time and by far most of the people in attendance were over 50 years old and I couldn’t get over how many bikes were set up with side cars. …and the side car wheels were powered just as the rear wheel of the moto. They were like three wheeled Jeep’s, they could go anywhere off road. Finding a moto larger than 500cc was unusual, a few R75’s (750cc I think) .. I also remember how happy and satisfied most of them seemed to be with the dependability of their machines. People spoke of fluid changes, spark plug replacements and tire changes but that was primarily the only things these people were doing to their bikes. I also remember talk of an inner tube made from natural rubber tree rubber that was almost puncture proof, if it was punctured ..when you remove the nail or screw it would self heal if the wound was small like a nail… since those days I have heard …and used the term bullet proof when referring to the engine and it fits … if you take care to keep the fluids at their appropriate levels the engine will out live us all … I tend to agree. After all what’s the one engine you never want to let you down … an airplane, right ? These bikes are indeed more expensive than American or Japanese crap but I believe you get what you pay for. Take care of it and no matter if your 20 or 80 it will likely out live you … or your desire to get UpOn2 …. Which ever comes first. As it’s been said, it’s about how you care for it that determines how long it lasts
……..Blitz ✌😎

· Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
396 Posts
I went to a BMW international rally in Corpus Christy Texas in the mid 70’s. To far back for complete recall. What I do remember was 300,000 miles was not uncommon on many of those motos. Seems BMW had recently released a 1000cc motor and it was a big topic of conversation at the time, everyone speculating about how long it would last. They gave away novelty trophies for all kinds of reasons, oldest rider, who came the longest distance to the event, most miles etc. and there were no less than five bikes that had over 500,000 miles, that’s miles…not kilometers. I remember distinctly two things, I was a young rider at the time and by far most of the people in attendance were over 50 years old and I couldn’t get over how many bikes were set up with side cars. …and the side car wheels were powered just as the rear wheel of the moto. They were like three wheeled Jeep’s, they could go anywhere off road. Finding a moto larger than 500cc was unusual, a few R75’s (750cc I think) .. I also remember how happy and satisfied most of them seemed to be with the dependability of their machines. People spoke of fluid changes, spark plug replacements and tire changes but that was primarily the only things these people were doing to their bikes. I also remember talk of an inner tube made from natural rubber tree rubber that was almost puncture proof, if it was punctured ..when you remove the nail or screw it would self heal if the wound was small like a nail… since those days I have heard …and used the term bullet proof when referring to the engine and it fits … if you take care to keep the fluids at their appropriate levels the engine will out live us all … I tend to agree. After all what’s the one engine you never want to let you down … an airplane, right ? These bikes are indeed more expensive than American or Japanese crap but I believe you get what you pay for. Take care of it and no matter if your 20 or 80 it will likely out live you … or your desire to get UpOn2 …. Which ever comes first. As it’s been said, it’s about how you care for it that determines how long it lasts
……..Blitz ✌😎
It is inspiring to read the report. Bigger is not always better and I agree, why do we not see a BMW sidecar/ I have been pestering them since 2014, no reply. The Ural is still there and the technology is 80 years old. I have owned one, it was fun.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts