BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
395 Posts
:unsure: How old is your bike and how many miles/kilometers is better question...

It doesn't mean anything important but very interesting for me.

Also I usually look carefully pictures from new members...I focus in their rear tires...If I see rear tire very "clean" in borders ... It helps me to know who I'm talking with.

Pure from October 2017. 45.000km. All perfect. No problems nor failures.
Look at service records and interval brake pads were replaced, also indicates longer distances. Similar to tyres worn in middle, often the owner commutes or travels long distance only. I got 60k out of a set of brake pads, simply because I was commuting long distances on highway and seldom had to brake. Should get the engine to last longer if used on longer travel distances.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Hey mate, where abouts in Aus are you? I only have 19,000 odd on mine with no issues but only purchased in late July last year as we entered a subsequent 260 days of hard lockdowns in Melb 🥴. I hope this bike lasts 200,000+ without major issues as I plan to keep it for the longer term - at least until IC vehicles aren't allowed on the road :). Interested to hear of high usage examples.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey mate, where abouts in Aus are you? I only have 19,000 odd on mine with no issues but only purchased in late July last year as we entered a subsequent 260 days of hard lockdowns in Melb 🥴. I hope this bike lasts 200,000+ without major issues as I plan to keep it for the longer term - at least until IC vehicles aren't allowed on the road :). Interested to hear of high usage examples.
Hey Mate i m in gold coast and put 10.000kms on it since i bought it in may i ride daily. Lockdowns been very harsh in vic hopefully over soon. I believe the boxer can do a lot of mileage hopefully without breaking the bank too much ahaha i haven’t heard any complains so far and the bike been around for 8years and the boxer nearly 100 years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Only 23000km - no riding since lockdown :-( as my 2014 nine T is my commuter. Previous owner put 5000km on in 5 years (he had 7 motorbikes).

Not a single issue. In fact, my bike has not been back to the dealership since it left the showroom floor. And I intend to keep it that way. Services are simple, parts are not expensive. Fluids are easy to change. Regular maintenance will see the engine last as long as we do.

Only issue if some rust on the frame and engine bolts and oxidation on engine/valve covers. Not yet unsightly, but when it gets to that point, should be easy enough to replace bolts and ceramic coat the engine bits.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
I’ve gone easy on my 9T… six years old and only 13,000mi. It’s been babied by me. I’ve been to BMW rally’s where I've seen many riders with side cars and trailers with 500,000mi so I know it’s not so exceptional…. if you take care of them …. I’m pretty sure those were highway miles and not off road. I was very pleased to find that they did all their own maintenance. All of those motorcycles were old Beemers and none of them were FI so our motorcycles should do even better. ……Blitz

Reactions: Norbi

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,200 Posts
Bought my 2002 1150 GSADV 3 years before Charley and Ewan did the very inspiring “Long Way Round”. They did 19,000 very cool mls in 4 months, me 70,000 mls in 20 years. The engine is pretty much the same as our NineTs, with slighter less 85bhp.

I had one(!) technical mishap when a rear wheel bearing gave up on the highway, in hindsight a result of spending too much time on the center stand without moving the wheels at all. I know, she shouldn’t spend 10 months of the year garaged up, but when I’m in Europe with my folks, we do get crackin’. 800 mls in one session? Done. On top off-road Mount Olympus in Greece, with only wild horses around? Done. Stuck in clay in Andalucia, conquered huge landslides in France, sure thing. Solo through Portugal, Romania, Norway? All done, and many more.

Would I ever hesitate to go for the next big one, on this 20 yo bike? Hell, no. This engine, and everything around it, is simply amazing.
Don’t worry.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I put 11,000 miles on my 2017 pure (purchased in August of 2018), and had no issues with it so far. I reckon 11,000 miles is nothing for this engine so I do not really expect any issues to come up just yet since I do care for it well (I service it regularly and keep it in the garage when not in use, plugged to a battery tender). I even talk to it when no one is looking!

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
395 Posts
Bought my 2002 1150 GSADV 3 years before Charley and Ewan did the very inspiring “Long Way Round”. They did 19,000 very cool mls in 4 months, me 70,000 mls in 20 years. The engine is pretty much the same as our NineTs, with slighter less 85bhp.

I had one(!) technical mishap when a rear wheel bearing gave up on the highway, in hindsight a result of spending too much time on the center stand without moving the wheels at all. I know, she shouldn’t spend 10 months of the year garaged up, but when I’m in Europe with my folks, we do get crackin’. 800 mls in one session? Done. On top off-road Mount Olympus in Greece, with only wild horses around? Done. Stuck in clay in Andalucia, conquered huge landslides in France, sure thing. Solo through Portugal, Romania, Norway? All done, and many more.

Would I ever hesitate to go for the next big one, on this 20 yo bike? Hell, no. This engine, and everything around it, is simply amazing.
Don’t worry.
Know of 1150 doing 200 000 plus kilometers, just service it. Less than 100 000km and I think you are still running the engine in. Owned an 1150 till 60 000km and no problems.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts